Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Author Rachel Pomerantz
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:50 pm
Does anyone else know her books? I love them. She wrote A time to rend, a time to sew, cactus blossoms, wildflower, as mountains around Jerusalem
Does anyone know her personally (I know Rachel Pomerantz is a pseudonym). She must have lived a fascinating life to write such great books.
Deb

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:54 pm
I have those 2 books and as far as Jewish fiction goes, have enjoyed them.

Sherri

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 4:06 pm
debsenr@gmail.com wrote:
Does anyone else know her books? I love them. She wrote A time to rend, a time to sew, cactus blossoms, wildflower, as mountains around Jerusalem
Does anyone know her personally (I know Rachel Pomerantz is a pseudonym). She must have lived a fascinating life to write such great books.
Deb
Freidasima once mentioned her name and who she is. Perhaps she'll have more details.

debsey

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 5:07 pm
OP here - if Friedasima is reading this, I would love to know more about her. I just think she's an amazing writer. I would love to give her (the author) feedback on her books.
Deb

chocolate fondue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 6:07 pm
I know that she's a maths professor. She also wrote 'Crossing the Divide' which is more about 'frum from birth' families, although it features a couple from 'A Time to Rend a Time to Sew'

She also wrote a book on the holocaust. Can't remember the name. She's one of my favourite authors.

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 6:51 pm
I also really enjoyed her books. I own Wildflower, As Mountains Around Jerusalem, and Crossing the Divide but have read them all. I wish they were still in print.

rise above

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 7:01 pm
I love her books too. Very well written.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 2:17 am
Her books are some of the only really well written frum novels that I have read so far! I love her books, I read them over and over, especially Wildflower.

joy613

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 4:19 am
The only one of her books that I read is A Time to rend, A Time to Sew. It was excellent. She is an amazing writer.

LisaS

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 7:16 am
Thanks for the recommendation! I found a few of her books on ebay.

bashinda

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 10:05 pm
She has an amazing story. She's featured in Coming Home btw. I love her writing. I just checked out Crossing the Divide Can't wait to read it.

Tova

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 10:21 pm
What's "Coming Home?"

bashinda

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 11:10 pm
Sorry. It's a book that was compiled by the Bostoner REbbe, zt"l. It's about BTs and Gerim and their stories. Their one connection is with the Bostoner Rebbe of course. Her story is in there. Of course her name isn't written but how many math professors are there who have also written a book about the holocaust and Jewish fiction and who live in Israel are there? Very Happy

I liked it a lot. It' was published by Israeli Bookshop.

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 2:41 am
I love her books, especially Wildflower. They pull you in without getting overemotional. I've never heard of or seen the book,Crossing the Divide. is it new? What is it about?

leomom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 3:02 am
It looks like many of her books are available on JewishUsedBooks.com. Wildflower is out of stock, though.

freidasima

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 3:08 am
She is a math professor and a prolific Jewish writer with an incredible personal story. A wonderful frum woman with terrific talent.

leomom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 3:13 am
Well, I don't know who she is, but the first page of Google results for Rachel Pomerantz turns up a Swarthmore University page of alumni who have published books... Her English (former?) name is there (class of 1969), along with the name of one of her books (I think Wildflower).

hadasa

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 3:24 am
She's one of my favorite authors. I've read almost all her books many times.
There's one theme that annoys me a bit, but in general they're great. I often wonder about a sequel to Wildflower and Cactus Blossoms - I'd like to know what Ronny's like as an adult.

hadasa

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 6:47 am
Yes, the first result on Google gave me her real name and quite a bit of personal information.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 7:29 am
this appears to be her website. Lots of interesting articles there.

http://u.cs.biu.ac.il/~mschaps/fictionE.html
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room