Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Terrible Cough - Nebulizer

malky800

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:49 am
My 20 month old has a terrible cough. He barely can get a word out, it's like cough, cough cough, cough .
I think it's coming more from a post nasal drip, becuase he does have a slight runny nose.

I've tried the humidifier and all, but I can't get it to stop.
I have a nebulizer machine at home, becuase my older kid recently had viral bronchitis.
Will that thing help my baby's cough, or if it's not in his lungs it won't do anything?

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:56 am
If it's just a cough, the nebulizer won't help. But if the cough is accompanied by breathing trouble (wheezing, fast breaths) the nebulizer will probably help. I usually give my DDs the nebulizer when they cough from a cold, because they tend develop wheezing, etc from the cough/cold.

Refuah sheleimah!

mltjm

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 12:49 pm
Why don't you just call your pediatrician and ask? I wouldn't give a 20 month old nebulizer meds without checking it out with a doctor first.

PIP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:36 pm
put vicks vapo rub on his neck and chest. it's very soothing.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:48 pm
Meema2Kids wrote:
If it's just a cough, the nebulizer won't help. But if the cough is accompanied by breathing trouble (wheezing, fast breaths) the nebulizer will probably help. I usually give my DDs the nebulizer when they cough from a cold, because they tend develop wheezing, etc from the cough/cold.

Refuah sheleimah!

This is not true. Nebulizers are not just for asthma-like problems. They are great for sinusitis and colds in general. Even stuffiness from allergies. I use it and all my kids use it and it helps so much. We just use it with a little sea salt mixed into cool water. No meds. Definitely worth trying out.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:56 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Meema2Kids wrote:

Refuah sheleimah!

This is not true. Nebulizers are not just for asthma-like problems. They are great for sinusitis and colds in general. Even stuffiness from allergies. I use it and all my kids use it and it helps so much. We just use it with a little sea salt mixed into cool water. No meds. Definitely worth trying out.

That is good to know. (I was referring to using prescription meds in the nebulizer.) I never thought about using it with other solutions, but it makes sense and I will keep this in mind!

malky800

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 2:03 pm
He's just having such a hard time getting the couch out. it's hurting me so much to listen to him.

Aribenj

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 9:32 pm
I've used the nebulizer with saline when the kids are sick like that.

I only use albuterol/xopenex when my doctor says it's necessary.

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 9:36 pm
where can I get a nebulizer from?

malky800

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:15 pm
You just put regular saline into that little blue container the same way you'd put albuterol in there?

Quote:

my doctor gave it to me from his office and charged my insurance. I'd assume you can only get one by perscription.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:21 pm
You can put saline into the nebulizer for him, that will help break up the mucus, and make the cough better. Don't give him albuterol, unless he needs it. Also Use a new nebulizer cup, do NOT use the one that belongs to the child with pneumonia.

malky800

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:24 pm
Is saline something you buy, or is it homemade?

Right now my child is starting to sound wheezy, so I don't know what to do. (although I think I"ll be at the dr tommorow)

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:08 pm
You can get nebulizer saline prescribed. Or you can boil water add a bit of salt, let it cool a bit and stick it in the neb cup. Or you can buy nasal saline, and add it to the cup.

mltjm

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 1:34 am
malky800 wrote:

Quote:

my doctor gave it to me from his office and charged my insurance. I'd assume you can only get one by perscription.

I think I got one of mine from a regular CVS. You could also try a medical supply store.

Never heard of saline before but that's a really smart idea. Whats the salt to water ratio?

malky800

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 11:56 am
So the end of my story, is my kid woke up this morning, wheezing terribly and breathing much faster than usual, so we skipped over to the dr, and he has viral bronchitis.
Yay!! Now we get to nebulize him seriously, (and over shabbos too)

small bean

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 12:06 pm
sorry. the nebulizer is a pain... my dd has allergies and because I can't control that she never smells/has pb when she's not home. I have to use the nebulizer every day 3x with pulmicort...

it could be a pain over shabbos - I hope your kid behaves while you do it and sits nicely....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics