Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cola for toddlers

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:05 am
My dd tells me at her gan they do a kabbalat shabbat every Friday, with nosh, candies, etc (I'm fine with all this) and this time there was coca cola. I know their KS is joined with the pre-gan (18 months +).
I personally never give cola to dd (we don't like it). When do you think it's fine to give?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:08 am
Ruchel wrote:
My dd tells me at her gan they do a kabbalat shabbat every Friday, with nosh, candies, etc (I'm fine with all this) and this time there was coca cola. I know their KS is joined with the pre-gan (18 months +).
I personally never give cola to dd (we don't like it). When do you think it's fine to give?

Coca Cola has been around for over a hundred years. It never killed anyone. It will do no harm if your DD drinks it once in a while. Of course, on a steady basis, there are other things to drink. But no disaster.
Next time you can send grape juice for the Shabos party! Or water if that is what you want the class to drink

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:13 am
I have not been asked yet to contribute. This week it was dd's best friend LOL

I have no idea yet what I'll send when it's my turn. Probably fruit juice? or syrup? I would send soda but I know not all kids like it.

I especially worry about the caffeine in cola. I don't let her drink ice tea either.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:20 am
Ruchel wrote:
I have not been asked yet to contribute. This week it was dd's best friend LOL

I have no idea yet what I'll send when it's my turn. Probably fruit juice? or syrup? I would send soda but I know not all kids like it.

I especially worry about the caffeine in cola. I don't let her drink ice tea either.

I think you should worry less. I grew up on coffee, and am quite tall and healthy.
I serve my grandchildren coffee all the time. Their parents are health freaks, and they laugh when they come to Bubbys house....they are all tall and very healthy, being on organically fed diets most of the time.
Nothing happens if they drink a little coke or coffee or tea now and then.
I think everything needs moderation, some kids actually prefer seltzer or water.
My own kids are all water drinkers, but we do have diet coke sometimes...
And although I am a coffee drinker, my kids are not.
I cannot understand how they drink a cup of cold water when they wake up.
I think my coffee is more of an emotional drink....but it is so yummy.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:25 am
I think you are right, sometimes I worry too much. I'm influenced by Imamother food hashkafa LOL

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:26 am
Our rule at the moment is no real soda until 5-6 (DS just turned 2 Tongue Out). DS loves seltzer. As a treat he gets grape juice on shabbos with kiddush.

I wouldn't be happy if a school was serving my child (at that age) cola.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 05 2010, 10:29 am
For me it's not just the caffeine, but the carbonation, the corn syrup, the coloring, and the way it makes me think the enamel of the teeth get eroded by it. Ich. No need to start my kid on something that they don't need.

Israeli Mother

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 2:11 pm
Ruchel wrote:
My dd tells me at her gan they do a kabbalat shabbat every Friday, with nosh, candies, etc (I'm fine with all this) and this time there was coca cola. I know their KS is joined with the pre-gan (18 months +). I personally never give cola to dd (we don't like it). When do you think it's fine to give?

I also don't give cola to toddlers. Yuck. We use cola to clean our toilets with -- it's great for getting off the hard-water grunge because of the phosporic acid in it. The same phosphoric acid that leaches calcium out of your bones.

Yes, it is true that a one-time drink of cola has not done your toddler any appreciable damage but I would complain to the ganenet anyway lest this become an acceptable habit in the gan.

As far as what age I would allow cola from, I guess the same age you'd allow your kids to drink coffee at the earliest.

Marion

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 3:22 pm
I recently discovered they were using grape drink (carbonated grape flavoured ****) for kiddush in daycare. I now bring a bottle of grape JUICE every week, even when it's not my turn to bring anything (which is most of the time). Not only do I not want DS getting the junk, I don't want him learning to make borei pri hagefen on something that is barely passable as shehakol!

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 11:23 am
Marion wrote:
I recently discovered they were using grape drink (carbonated grape flavoured ****) for kiddush in daycare. I now bring a bottle of grape JUICE every week, even when it's not my turn to bring anything (which is most of the time). Not only do I not want DS getting the junk, I don't want him learning to make borei pri hagefen on something that is barely passable as shehakol!

I'm impressed, Marion. Thumbs Up

fiddle

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:

Coca Cola has been around for over a hundred years. It never killed anyone. It will do no harm if your DD drinks it once in a while.

I second this. I personally am a water/seltzer drinker and thats what is in my house, but when we go to peoples houses or if we have a guest there is some sort of soda an im not gonna make myself crazy and refuse to give her a cup while everyone else is having. I think that would have a larger affect then the soda would.......its just soda. if someone were giving it to my kid in a bottle id be a little concerned.

natmichal

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 12:42 pm
My kids once asked me what cola was and we answered that some adults drink it but that it's really not healthy.
Somehow my kids have turned up pretty "health freaks" (well, they will have the offered toffee, but all in all they are pretty conscious of what they eat), and won't touch the stuff.

We actually had to tell ds off because he's d scream at people drinking coke (adults- not kids!) "Mitz shachor ze lo bari" and try taking the drink away from them.... Smile

I would not have been very happy if they'd serve cola at my kids' gan, and would at the least make sure to send in one healthier drink (and cue my kid to choose the 'right" drink).

freidasima

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 1:16 pm
We never have it in the house ever since the study about how the coloring used in the cola (davka not the sugar, phosophorus etc.) is terrible for the kidneys and can cause severe problems. I wouldn't let my kids drink it on a regular basis and would tell them to always choose colorless sodas if they have no choice. I wouldn't give it to a toddler, it's addictive, sure every kid usually prefers sweets...I like Marion's idea about grape juice.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 1:53 pm
in our home my husband drinks diet soft drinks. I only drink water. my daughter is almost 2. when she sees daddy drinking "that drink", we just tell her that that is daddy's drink and for now, thank G-d it works. I grew up never having soda in the house. the only bubbly drink was soda water. even though my husband drinks soda (that really is his one weak spot, so he does drink it) we both agree that we are not going to allow our daughter to have soda until she is much older, when she can understand that it is not a healthy drink and that she should not drink it. (mabe by then my husband will give up his fix of soda)

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 2:54 pm
Oh, and at home:

DS#1 likes my soda water, and I don't mind sharing that with him. It's "Eema water" and he has to ask permission, and it's for Shabbat [lunch] only. DS#2 doesn't like the bubbles in it.

Occasionally they are both allowed diluted juice (only on Shabbat)...and it's 1/3 juice to 2/3 water. Grape juice they get for kiddush.

nylon

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 3:01 pm
I drink soda, but I would hit the roof if I found out they were serving it to little kids in school. It doesn't belong there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics