Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
AMAZING Sweet Potato Kugel
1  2  3  Next

slushiemom

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 1:58 pm
My friend gave me the following recipe, I made it this past shabbos and it was a huge hit at both meals:

5 medium size sweet potatoes, cook, drain and cool.

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of soy milk
3/4-1 cup of flour

combine all together in food processor. I add a bit more cinnamon and vanilla than recipe

topping:
1-1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (I substiute 1/4 cup brown and 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon vanila
2 teaspoons of oil
2 teaspoons of water and then keep adding an additional teaspoon of water until consitency is crumby. If you accidentally add too much water, just add more flour and sugar to balance it out.

I add cinnamon, but its not in the recipe.

Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the batter and spray the whole top with pam before putting in the oven.

Enjoy!

shev

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 3:04 pm
thanx for the recipe, my dh loves sweet potatoes im always looking for recipes with sweet potatoes

freidasima

Post Sat, Feb 06 2010, 3:13 pm
how long should I bake it for?

slushiemom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 12:17 pm
around 45 minutes

oodlesofnoodles

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 12:31 pm
what temperature do you bake it at?
it looks yummy!

slushiemom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 1:01 pm
350 F

it is yummy!!

crush

Post Sun, Feb 07 2010, 2:29 pm
thanks so much for the recipe! I get so excited whenever I find one that looks good!
just one question, sorry. when you say "vanilla", does that mean vanilla sugar or extract?
thanks!

slushiemom

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 1:04 am
extract.

enjoy!

match

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:42 pm
can I add it to a pie crust? Just got individual crusts, thought it would be nice to bake sweet potato pies..
What do you think?

Last edited by match on Thu, Feb 11 2010, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

faigyl

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 9:53 pm
I tried it but I really messed up on the topping- it turned out doughy and when I added flour and sugar it didnt help.
So I skipped it and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top- I didnt taste it yet but it looks and smells really good .... thanks!!

slushiemom

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 1:07 am
cinnamon and sugar sounds good- I think I'll do that next time instead of patchking with the topping- which comes out kinda doughy for me too.

enjoy!! I've been getting rave reviews at my shabbos table since I started making it Smile

newatthis

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 8:10 am
I made this recipe and used margarine instead of oil (and added cinnamon, more vanilla, more brown sugar, and more water)and it crumbled very nicely. I haven't tasted it yet its in the oven but looks great!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:29 am
It sounds very nice but also a lot of work. You have to cook and peel the sweet potatoes ahea of time.

slushiemom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 11:31 am
true you have to- but peeling takes less than 5 minutes, and if you boil it on a high flame it doesnt take long to cook. I get the rest of the ingredients together while the potatoes are boiling, and often make one other recipe meanwhile.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 3:44 am
can I microwave the sweet potatoes? then just scoop the insides out of the peel?

chanchy123

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 6:16 am
How sweet does this come out?
I have a sweet potato pie recipe that I love but I hate making the crusts and don't really enjoy buying ready made ones (also they are not so cheap).
This might be a good variation.
I need recipes with lots of flour in them.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 7:19 am
Here's an easy microwave version with no crust

Microwave Orange Yam Bake

1 1/2 - 2 lb yams cooked and peeled or 1 1/2 canned yams, drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I will use oil and less than this amount)
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
3 Tablespoons undiluted oj concentrate
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Topping:

2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped pecans

In medium mixing bowl, whip potatoes with electric mixer.
In 1-cup measure, microwave margarine at High 30-45 seconds, or until melted. Stir in potatoes. Blend remaining ingredients except topping into potatoes. Pour into 1-qt. casserole.
In smal bowl, mix together topping ing. until well blended and crumbly. Sprinkle topping over potatoes.
Microwave at High 3 minutes. Reduce power to 50% and microwave 8-14 minutes or until heater through and set (center will remain somewhat creamy), rotating 1/4 turn once during cooking (this was before turntables in the microwave). Let stand 3-5 minutes.
To microwave yams: Wash and pierce potatoes. Microwave at High 13-19 minutes, or until potatoes yield to pressure. Rearrange once. Let stand 5 minutes.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 7:53 am
chocolate moose wrote:
It sounds very nice but also a lot of work. You have to cook and peel the sweet potatoes ahea of time.
I made it a few weeks ago, and it wasn't alot of work. It was fast and easy, on a very "time-challenged" Erev Shabbos.

I made a little change - added a layer of blueberry pie filling on top, then the topping. Everyone loved it.

random

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:08 am
8x8 or 9x13?

Book119

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 8:13 am
Made it this shabbos, didn't have a big crowd so I cut the recipe in half-ish.

Tasted awesome and it was the first sweet potato kugel I ever made that sliced beautifully and was still light and fluffy. I guess cooking really is an art! LOL

Thanks a ton!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes