Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where should we live?
1  2  3  Next

besimcha

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 5:05 pm
DH and I are making aliyah, IY"H, in 2 months. We want to live in Yerushalayim, but haven't made up our minds as to where we should be looking for a place to live. We are young and yeshivish Smile and want to move to a frum, tzniusdike community, maybe something like Ezras Torah. And of course, we don't have any money. We would rather not move out of the city, to Neve Yaakov etc but live in Yerushalayim itself.
Any recommendations?

shira

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 5:11 pm
Are you looking to rent or to buy? Also, what size apt would you be satisfied with? Are you willing to live in an area that is "mitchared" (mostly chiloni with a small but growing religious population)?

besimcha

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 5:19 pm
We're looking to rent, 1 or 2 rooms would be fine, and we'd rather not live in a mostly chiloni area.

shira

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 5:24 pm
1 or 2 rooms I presume means 1 or 2 BEDrooms. Be careful because in Israel, the salon is counted as a room so "1 or 2 rooms" actually means 0 or 1 bedrooms!
You can try Ramat Eshkol/sanhedria- thats where most of my friends are- rent for 1-2 bedrooms is probably about $600-$650/month. Ezras Torah is FOR SURE even more expensive than that. Maalot Dafna/Arzei will be comperable to Ramat Eshkol in price. Hey you could always rent in Beitar Smile Its 10 min from J-m and there's a tender to the MIR that takes 25 minutes. But, I guess if you aren't even interested in Neve Yaakov, Beitar is out of the question................
Are you looking for furnished or unfurnished? Do you plan to buy eventually?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 5:41 pm
If you don't have any money, why don't you consider somewhere else where rents are much cheaper?
Cheap(er) places with yeshivish communities include: Ofakim, Zichron, Kiryat Sefer, Beit Shemesh, Rechovot, Petach Tikva, Beitar.
Almost everyone wants to live in Yerushalayim, but it might be better to manage somewhere else ($400 a month rent) than 'sink' in Yerushalayim.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 12:53 am
We live in Har Nof. It's very nice. People tell us that it's more expensive and I always thought that too until I went to check out prices in other areas. For the same size place rent was several hundred dollars more.
Check out www.flathunting.com
Where are you planning to go when you get off the plane?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 3:01 am
I would def. recommend Ramat Beit Shemesh.

It's the perfect place for people coming on Aliyah.

Check out our own city's web-site:

www.shemesh.co.il

It lists all the businesses, Gemachim, Schools, Medical stuff, etc...

Enjoy!

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 3:14 am
isn't ramat beit shemesh and beitar an hour busride from yerushalayim? They are not close to the city at all. and ramat eshkol, maalot dafne and arzei and sanhedria are very expensive as well.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 3:19 am
Ramat Beit Shemesh can take about an hour to get to, by bus, during rush hour.
We've done it by car, in 30 minutes.

Many people would LOVE to live in Yerushalayim. But not everyone could, cuz it's just so expensive... So sometimes you just have to compromise....

I'm sure you can find small apartments in diff. neighborhoods in Yerushalayim.
If it's just for a couple, without kids, then it's fine.
But once you have a couple of kids, and need more bedrooms, it can start to get quite expensive...

So, maybe start out in Yrshlym. and then you can change your minds...
in a couple of years...

willow

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 6:25 am
MosheDovid'sMom is right those places are expensive.
Sandedria murchevet is the hot spot right now for very serious young yeshivish couples. The community is great and both the shul( for men ) and the neshei (for ladies ) is very warm. However the prices are high and apartments are taken in a snap

Ramot eskol used to be very secular and slowly the yeshivisa crowd is taking over. While the prices arn't as bad as S.M the prices are slowly rising. The community there is very nice but you will find a more diverse type of yeshivish.

Maalot Dafna I do not know that much about but I do know that it is pretty expensive and very AMERICAN americans live there. Meaning its a much higher standard of living in that area.

ezras torah is more expensive and more yeshivish then most places in yerushalyimfar

In Beitar, Kiryat sefar , Ramot Beit shemash apartments are def. cheaper. You could probably get an apartment twice the size and half the price of one in yerusalyem. However you need to take in to account where yoiu think you will make friends and if depending on where your husband learns you may not seem him during lunch b/c of the travel...

Shira is right you need to make sure you know whats going on. If you have friends have them scout for you. As everyone has different needs and money situatons, make sure you recognize what you must have in an apartment and community and what you are willing to do without. I would literally sit down with dh and make an honest assesment of of your situation and them you wll be better equipped to make an informed choice.

Remember " knowledge equals power". Very Happy Sorry if so long Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 7:46 am
to the amother that said that you can drive to yerushaliyim from ramat beit shemesh in a half an hour, two things:
do you ALSO live in RBS? I do too:)
also, ppl say that rent is cheap? I have heard that perhaps rent is cheap but to buy is becoming nuts as well.

for the origional poster, I would only recommend ramat beit shemesh if you want a completelyt anglo, english speaking community. if not dont move here!

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 10:13 am
Romema might fit the bill. I think the rent is cheaper than the other places in the center of Yerushalayim. And I think it's a pretty yeshivish place.
Does anyone know more about it?
I was going to suggest Ramot (not sure about the crowd), but I guess you'd consider that out of yerushalyim.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 10:22 am
suomynona wrote:
Romema might fit the bill. I think the rent is cheaper than the other places in the center of Yerushalayim. And I think it's a pretty yeshivish place.
Does anyone know more about it?
I was going to suggest Ramot (not sure about the crowd), but I guess you'd consider that out of yerushalyim.

ramot is just as much in Yerushaliyim as romema or ramat eshkol or maalot daphne or rehavia ot talpiot. its just a community in the capital.

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 10:26 am
Is Ramot closer to the center than Neve yaakov, which the OP does not want to consider?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 10:28 am
suomynona wrote:
Is Ramot closer to the center than Neve yaakov, which the OP does not want to consider?

no, not at all. ramot is about a ten minute bus ride from tzomet bar ilan. do you know where that is? I think that is concidered sanhedria.

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 10:34 am
yeah, it's practically around the corner from me Smile

sister

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 4:46 pm
You guys are all so lucky and blessed to live in israel!!!!!! Wink

supermom

Post Tue, Jun 06 2006, 4:56 am
Since you want to live in jerusalem my opinion won't help. But if you ask me I would like in a yishuv with everything there schools, stores that are cheap and all. I love where we live the only thing is that there are no stores. But my kids love it it is like the mountains. Fresh air, freedom, and independance for my kids. I have seen my kids grow a lot from living on a yishuv. They are more out going, independent then the other kids that I see that are in town.

BatshevaB

Post Tue, Jun 06 2006, 6:36 am
I know you said you are not interested in Neve Yakov because it is too far out, but it is worth looking into. We lived our first year of marriage in Maalot Dafna and while it was in walking distance of everything, it was not the best place for us. As Willow mentioned it is very AMERICAN. There is a very high standard of living there that we did not fit in with. Soem people love it though, it depends what you are looking for. Anyway, we have now been in Neve Yakov for the last year. It takes my husband 15 minutes on the bus to get to kolel (it is in sanhedria) It is not much further than that to Geula. But we are spending $100 less a month for a much bigger apartment with one more bedroom than we had before. Also the community is great, we are so happy here and really feel we fit in with less. Just something to think about.

ceo

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 10:41 am
first off, Neve Yakov and RAmot are in Yerushalayim! the arnona prices say it! Wink

To the original poster, you say you have no money. I hate to say this, but unless you want to live in a machsan, you're going to have a very hard time finding an affordable place in the neighborhoods you mentioned. I have a friend who lives in a machsan in Ezras Torah/ Gush 80 area. She loves it - her husband is chassidishe and likes to daven at Rachmistrivke, Satmar, Belz, etc. But mostl people in these neighborhoods have some sort of money- either parents, savings, a spouse has a very good job or is in a very high paying kollel.

I lived in Ramat Eshkol when we first got married. I thought it was nice there, I had friends (I think I know who Shira is from there), but then we moved to Neve Yakov because we didn't want to deplete our savings paying rent. We LOVED neve yakov. Every morning I wake up and say, "HKB"H, if I cannot be zoche to live in Neve Yakov now, at least let me live there when I retire". Wink " Basically, anyone who is not jappy will fit in there- tons of families of all ages (young couples with babies to grandparents)-- it;s really an atmospher or yiras shamayim and avoda. Not flashy at all! Lots of chosuhve rabbonim there- Rav Weber is the Mar'a D'asra and many people think he will very possibly take over for R' Elyahiv shlita. Rebbetzin Kaganoff and Reb. Neustadt are very chosuve women in the neighborhood. R' Barclay gives halacha shiurim for women and he is great to learn from. Lots of activities, chesed, shiurim, etc. My husband went to kollel in Sanhedria on the 54 bus. 15 minutes! easy! Another 10 minutes to Geula.

A few things to keep in mind about neighborhoods like Maalot Dafna, Ramat Eshkol, Ezras Torah:
These are (for the most part) not neighborhoods where young English speakers are settling down for the long term. Many of the people who you'll connect with are there for only a few years, and then they will return to Chu"l, or will move out to someplace cheaper. If you are planning on staying for the long run, then you might be better off going to a place where the majority is also there for good. It will be easier to settle and build relationships.

good luck! I hope you and your husband have a yishuv tov! you can pm me for more info.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics