Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where should we live?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 10:48 am
a machsan?
im hoping thats not literal and machsan means something else!

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 10:51 am
A machsan is a storage area. What did you think it meant? She meant it like 'living in a place the size of a closet'.

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 10:54 am
oh I get it now.
I thought she meant it literally. Very Happy

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 10:55 am
Mommy912 wrote:
A machsan is a storage area. What did you think it meant? She meant it like 'living in a place the size of a closet'.

No, in Israel there are people who really live in a machsan not just the size of a closet! It is like a small room which is usually used for storage, but I think here it was literal!

ceo

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 11:33 am
to clarify-
In Israel, there is such a thing as a machsan apartment. It is a VERY SMALL apartment- usually a large storage area converted into an apartment. A typical machsan apartment could be about 17 by 12 feet (size of my living room) (ie- 5 meters by 3 meters aprox.) at that would include kitchen, bedrrom and bathroom. tiny!

willow

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 11:49 am
Yes we live in machsan apartment!!!!

besimcha

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 1:41 pm
Thanks so much to all who responded! Wow, so much information! Maybe we really should consider Neve Yakov after all... I'll speak to dh about it. How are the prices there?
We lived in Israel for 2 months, and it was in a machsan apt, so I know what you're talking about. I don't know how we'd fit all our books into it though Smile
Shkoiach to all of you for your help, please keep the info coming.

besimcha

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 1:43 pm
Thanks so much to all who responded! Wow, so much information! Maybe we really should consider Neve Yakov after all... I'll speak to dh about it. How are the prices there?
We lived in Israel for 2 months, and it was in a machsan apt, so I know what you're talking about. I don't know how we'd fit all our books into it though Smile
Shkoiach to all of you for your help, please keep the info coming.

shira

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 1:59 pm
sending subliminal messages.............come to Beitar!!!! We're 10 min from Gilo and can be in the center of town in 35 min (thats on a BUS, by car its faster) The Anglo community is small but growing. Its beautiful here and prices are SO cheap. PM me if you want more details.

ceo

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 2:24 pm
Prices in Neve Yakov- if you are not picky about the street, you can find a two bedroom apartment for around $400. If you dafka want something a little nicer, you might pay closer to $500. The 2 bedroom apartments in Shlav Aleph are a really nice size, as are the two bedrooms on Abir Yakov. When I lived in Neve Yakov, I lived in small 2 bedroom, old dumpy, apartment on the top floor. But it was only $300! This wasn't so long ago, either. The landlord was a tzadik and was just happy to have a nice normal kollel couple that were willing to live there that he gave us a discount. That was very unusual, so don't count on finding something so cheap.

Beitar is also really nice. Close to Yerushalayim, clean, new, nice people. Another benefit of Beitar is that because it's all frum, I think that there is really higher level of kedusha... For instance, when you go to the post office in Beitar, you don't have to wait on line with women who are dressed in barely anything. This is more of an issue in Neve Yakov (not a big one, but something to consider). I have a few friends that moved to Beitar recently- even from Neve yakov. The one thing though- personally, I think that if you don't have kids, you will probably have an easier time making friends in Neve Yakov then a place like Beitar. I am saying this from my personal experience.

willow

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 2:44 pm
We are actually considering moving out of yerusalyim coming elul. So all this info help me as well. Very Happy

suomynona

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 4:50 pm
All you ladies are tempting me to move to Neve Yaakov Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 5:32 pm
are there any posters out there that live on yishuvim?
my husband and I are looking for that type of life, small, kehilati and green.

shira

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 7:09 pm
ceo wrote:

I think that if you don't have kids, you will probably have an easier time making friends in Neve Yakov then a place like Beitar.

How come? The Nishei is really growing here and davka because its still in its fledgling state, there is TONS of opportunity for ANYONE who wants to get involved to do so.

Ok, some logistics:
For $400 you can get a nice 3 bedroom apt. for $500 you can get one thats fully furnished (though there aren't too many of those available).

As for buying, apartments that are 140-160 meters go for about $150-$160,000 when bought from the kablan. My friend just bought a ground floor 160 meter with a huge gina for $160,000, 4 bedrooms.

The other nice thing about Beitar being a frum place is that there are tons of resources for kids. The Mayor is charedi as is the rest of the govt here. What that means l'maisa is that the iriyah will subsidize chugim and the like making it much more affordable for your average kollel family.
Its heimish here Smile

One thing I can't say is that Beitar is full of talmidei chachamim- not yet anyway. B"H there are a number of Roshei Yeshiva and Rabanim but as a whole, its not an established enough place to attract them by the droves.

ceo

Post Thu, Jun 08 2006, 9:29 pm
shira wrote:
ceo wrote:

I think that if you don't have kids, you will probably have an easier time making friends in Neve Yakov then a place like Beitar.

How come? The Nishei is really growing here and davka because its still in its fledgling state, there is TONS of opportunity for ANYONE who wants to get involved to do so.

Shira, thank you for pointing that out. I was just thinking that because in a place like Neve Yakov you have more couples w/out kids or only with one or two than in Beitar, and speaking from experience as a wife who had IF issues, it was much easier for me to make friends with women who had smaller families, simply because they had more time. But I don't mind being wrong on this one! Meanwhile, I have a friend who just moved to Givat A and doesn't really have any friends- I think that it was easier for her to meet people in Yerushalayim.

To the OP- don't let one person's experience discourage you. I think Beitar is a really nice place- beautiful weather (Yerushalayim climate) a strong mix of chareidim (litvaks, chassidishe, etc), lots of ammneities within the city- large supermarket, clothing, pharmacy, etc - you don't have to travel to J'lem for anything, really. Also, the point that I made before about the level of kdusha still holds- you don't have to worry about your kids seeing seeing some lady dressed in a smartoot (I saw that once in Talpiot- a smartoot made into a halter top Puke ) when you run an errand. So, bkitzur, I think Beitar is a great place!

BatshevaB

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 6:59 am
Shira- do you live in Beitar A or B? As I said before we are currently renting in Neve Yaakov and really we do love it here. But we would really like to get serious about buying and we are not sure we can get what we want here. We have seen a lot of places and the prices even in the mitchareid are going up. Do you know if you can get something for around 130 there that is 3 bedrooms with a gina or mirpeset anymore? I have heard it is cheaper in B since they are still building but it is not as established.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 7:20 am
just wondering if I am the only poster from Israel that is not charedi.
you are all talking about these places to live and they are charedi centers (which is fine for y'all:>)
I was just wondering.

ceo

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 3:25 pm
ytwh1 wrote:
just wondering if I am the only poster from Israel that is not charedi.
you are all talking about these places to live and they are charedi centers (which is fine for y'all:>)
I was just wondering.

Maybe you should start a new thread....people are not going to see your question here.

willow

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 3:33 pm
Does anyone know much about kiryat sefar? It was suggested to dh as a yeshivish and nice community. Also shira can you tell me more about beitar. Is there a difference between A and B? Is there a american shul? Are the ppl mostly young or middle.. Is it very friendly or maybe a bit jappy?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 3:43 pm
Another thing you should look into when you're choosing somewhere is employment possibilities for the wife (if she intends to work). Some of these more remote places like Kiryat Sefer (I don't know about Beitar) have almost no jobs going because there is no industry there. (If women aren't working they don't have the need/money for so many clothes/doing their sheitels/ sending to gan etc either)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics