Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pediatric Dentist - is this normal?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 11:49 pm
We took DS (3 yrs old) recently to our family dentist for his first checkup. He was totally uncooperative and long story short the dentist never even saw the inside of his mouth and suggested we take him to a pediatric dentist who is used to dealing with 3 yr olds. I made an appointment with a dentist who has an excellent reputation. But I was told that parents are not allowed to come back with the children and must stay in the waiting room. This really bothers me. A lot. So before I go searching for a new dentist I wanted to ask if it's normal or not. What has your experience been?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 12:50 am
Sounds fishy. My dentist (not in brooklyn) wants the parents there, and if I want to go out of the room when my older ones are with the dentist, I ask her and the child if it's OK. I'd look for something else.

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 4:04 am
I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing -- the pediatric dentists my kids have been to didn't encourage or discourage the parents being in there, but I always felt like I was just getting in the way, and the dentist and hygenists were so great with them that they didn't really need me there anyway...my suggestion is to talk to some of your friends to get a recommendation for a pediatric dentist that their kids like and feel comfortable with.

(In my case it kinda backfired though, and DD1 was SOOOO happy with her new dentist that she actually looked forward to getting cavities so she could go back to that "fun" place Scratching Head )

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 7:24 am
I don't know if that makes him a bad dentist, but I would switch becaquse I want to be with my child when he's going through a stressful situation.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 9:32 am
I think I watch too much Law and Order SVU to let my 3 year old be alone with any kind of doctor/dentist.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 1:47 pm
there are some dentists that dont want parents in the room because they can mange the kids better without a hysterical parent in the room.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 10:45 pm
I had that experience with a pediatric dentist -but he didn't tell me beforehand that he was not going to allow me in the room with my son......I did not go back to him ever again.

SingALong

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 10:53 pm
I took my super uncooperative DD age 3 to a pediatric dentist that was totally geared for kids, hygenists were amazingly patient, waiting room was a dream of a toy collection.

but never are parents asked to stay outside ESPECIALLY by the first visit. all checkups and most treatments either DH and I were there. ONCE when DD had to have a 2 hour job done my DH went along just till they put here to sleep and then they said ok u can go we'll call you when job is done. but by then we knew them.

most recently my DD definitely cooperated better when I stepped back a bit but I was always in teh room just not holding her or holding her hand but I was there.

shanie5

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 12:33 pm
I have been to a few pediatric dentists who dont allow parents in. Its like mama bear said-parents can make the child crazy.

I am not one of those parents, but I know many who are, so I understand the dentists reasoning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics