Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone give their kid Melatonin?

morahaviva

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 7:25 pm
After trying every other one of her suggestions to get my 1st grader to fall asleep, pediatrician told me to give DD melatonin to help her fall asleep. The whole family is eagerly awaiting this.... but I have not been able to find liquid melatonin - anyone use it? Where do you get it???? TIA...

whoami

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 7:32 pm
On the occasion that I give it to my kids, I give them chewables.

morahaviva

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 7:33 pm
OK - where do you buy them? All I found were tablets and capsules!

whoami

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 7:50 pm
I bought them in a health food store - they are called 'Mel-o-chew' or something like that.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:00 pm
I do give liquid. I buy it in our local pharmacy.

mommyofboys

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:49 pm
I use melotonim chewables for all 3 kids. They can be in bed for 2 hours before falling asleep. Since I started using it, they fall asleep in the next 15 minutes. My ped said I can give it to them every night. I use Maxi Health & they dont complain about the taste.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:58 pm
I give the ones that melt in the mouth-you're supposed to suck it. I give one mg. It's called my magic pill-instead of falling asleep at eleven it's now nine.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 9:41 am
I also gave my 7 year old melatonin for a while and it did help. But, my doctor then had me wean him off... it is a hormone. It's long term effects on a growing child are unknown.

We did some lifestyle and dietary changes that have helped him a lot, though he still has trouble falling asleep before 9:00 (used to be 10-11 before he fell asleep!!!)

1. Cut out as much white sugar as possible from his diet. I bake and cook with brown sugar and honey.

2. Cut out chocolate after 4:00 (it has a little caffeine). He can have a cup of hot cocoa at breakfast or right after school, no chocolate treats in the afternoon or evening.

3. Work more exercise into his day -- this sometimes takes effort on my part as we don't have a backyard, I have to take the kids to a park or on a walk or something.

4. Give only milk to drink from dinner and afterwards (except if fleishigs, of course)

5. We bought powdered tryptophan, which you dissolve in H20 give that to him to drink before bedtime.

6. We bought him a little clip on book-light he can use to read in bed without disturbing his brother, who shares his room. This really helps him wind down and also take his mind off any personal issues that may be keeping him awake.

We have discussed this extensively with the pediatrician and read a lot about childhood sleep problems on the Internet and in books.

I think we've done a great job at making improvement, but he's still a tired guy when I have to wake him up for school at 6:45. Luckily, he's a sweetie pie, so he is very cooperative, even when tired.

Maybe try some of these tips and see if they help.

Best of luck to you.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:39 am
AFAIK giving melatonin isn't good for the long run. A person is meant to produce a natural hormone that does what melatonin does. The more you give melatonin, the more your body stops producing it. So in essence you are making your kids need the melatonin to fall asleep.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:40 am
I agree Lifesgreat. Even when I was all messed up my sleep doctor wouldn't give me melatonin - and I'm an adult!

grin

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 5:08 pm
btMOMtoFFBs, thanks a lot for your tips - most informative.

what's the deal with the tryptophan? is that also available at any pharmacy?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 9:27 pm
Tryptophan is a naturally occuring substance, its found in warm milk, turkey and I'm sure other foods. It's not a hormone though, and it does help one feel a bit drowsy, but its not like the intense effect of the melatonin.

We bought the Zahler's brand powder from koshervitamins.com. It helps a bit. Give it a try.

(Edited to correct content error)

Last edited by btMOMtoFFBs on Mon, Feb 15 2010, 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 10:05 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
AFAIK giving melatonin isn't good for the long run. A person is meant to produce a natural hormone that does what melatonin does. The more you give melatonin, the more your body stops producing it. So in essence you are making your kids need the melatonin to fall asleep.

Some people don't have enough malatonim in their body and falling asleep on their own doesn't work. When I was a child I used to fall asleep extremely late. In camp even as an eight year old I fell asleep way way after my counselors were lomg asleep. I guess ds inherited that gene. He would be up forever and then wake up early and refreshed in the morning literaly since he was born. I remember my dr. telling me there is nothing to do if you child is up most of the night-he doesn't need much sleep. He barely has white flour during they day, almost no sugar....Before trying malatonim I bought the sleep powder from Zahlers that did not help. For him (and me) malatonim is a miracle pill. I don't give on weekends so they shouldn't become addicted and give a small dose only. One big dr. said give it every night for a month so the body gets used to the malatonim and after a month it will start producing it's own.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:22 am
flowerpower wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

Some people don't have enough malatonim in their body and falling asleep on their own doesn't work. When I was a child I used to fall asleep extremely late. In camp even as an eight year old I fell asleep way way after my counselors were lomg asleep. I guess ds inherited that gene. He would be up forever and then wake up early and refreshed in the morning literaly since he was born. I remember my dr. telling me there is nothing to do if you child is up most of the night-he doesn't need much sleep. He barely has white flour during they day, almost no sugar....Before trying malatonim I bought the sleep powder from Zahlers that did not help. For him (and me) malatonim is a miracle pill. I don't give on weekends so they shouldn't become addicted and give a small dose only. One big dr. said give it every night for a month so the body gets used to the malatonim and after a month it will start producing it's own.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing this information.

pina colada

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 1:49 am
I heard its not safe for girls. anyone heard of this?

mandksima

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:15 am
Is there a blood test to determine if one is not producing sufficient melatonin?

Sherri

Post Fri, Feb 19 2010, 7:54 am
flowerpower wrote:
One big dr. said give it every night for a month so the body gets used to the malatonim and after a month it will start producing it's own.
Did that happen?

happyone

Post Fri, Feb 19 2010, 8:19 am
I was told by a top neurologist and more than one doctor in different fields that Melatonin is safe. It does not stop your body from producing Melatonin, all it does it help produce more melatonin. Some ppl have less, but it won't affect your levels. The only thing that happens if you take it all the time, is that your body gets used to it, and it's not as affective.

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 19 2010, 11:23 am
happyone wrote:
I was told by a top neurologist and more than one doctor in different fields that Melatonin is safe. It does not stop your body from producing Melatonin, all it does it help produce more melatonin. Some ppl have less, but it won't affect your levels. The only thing that happens if you take it all the time, is that your body gets used to it, and it's not as affective.

Me too. My son takes it regularly and doesn't seem to have a problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics