Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mumps at DD's seminary
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:20 pm
I dont even know what to say. this is more a vent than anything, I am in such shock, and just so angry for the school not being on top of things. I finally stopped crying, and this is my vent I guess.

my daughter's seminary, which is 6,000 miles away, has sent home emails telling us that there has been a mumps outbreak.

I am in such a state of shock

HOW DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN? HOW ARE THEY NOT ON TOP OF THIS? ?????????????? what happened to schools requiring all students to be vaccinated? ???????????????? I am absolutely disgusted. disgusted!!!! to the point that DH and I decided that if our DD ch'v does come down with the mumps, we will speak to our rov about legal action. We did not pay 20,000 dollars for this ineptitude. this is sakanas nefashos we are talking about.

either some parent 'fudged" their daughters medical records, or the school was inept and missed something. the likelihood of it coming from an outside source seems very slim, since 12 girls have the mumps already (and this is a small seminary!), and it doesnt seem to be happening at any of the other nearby sems.

I am at my wits end. it is thursday night. if it was a monday or tuesday, I would have been at JFK already, waiting for the next flight. but now, DH and I will have to wait until after shabbos already, to figure out what to do about our daughter, should she ch'v need to be treated. yes, of course she had her booster shots. but apparently this strain is so virulent that it does not matter in some cases. but where did it start from??? how did they miss that one girl???? if her parents did, indeed, not vaccinate her, they are rodfim!!!! I am so angry, I have been crying for the past two hours. my DD told me she doesnt feel well and all her joints are achy. it could just be the flu. or not. either way, how does one console their terrified daughter from across the ocean when you yourself are just as terrified if not more so???

campmommy

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:33 pm
first of all, calm down. Mumps is rather mild in most cases. Second of all, there have been mumps outbreaks all over lately and the VAST MAJORITY of those who have caught it ARE vaccinated. So it does not mean that whoever "brought it in to the seminary" was not vaccinated, she most likely was! Some people are saying that perhaps this is a different strain. Remember, it's a virus and there can be different strains just like the flu. Third of all, as far as I know, the only risk - which in itself has a very small percentage of happening- is sterilization IN BOYS! So don't worry so much, don't do anything rash, just hope your daughter doesn't get it (because it's no fun to be sick) and say some tehilim for those that have it for a refuah shlaima.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 8:45 pm
campmommy wrote:
first of all, calm down. Mumps is rather mild in most cases. Second of all, there have been mumps outbreaks all over lately and the VAST MAJORITY of those who have caught it ARE vaccinated. So it does not mean that whoever "brought it in to the seminary" was not vaccinated, she most likely was! Some people are saying that perhaps this is a different strain. Remember, it's a virus and there can be different strains just like the flu. Third of all, as far as I know, the only risk - which in itself has a very small percentage of happening- is sterilization IN BOYS! So don't worry so much, don't do anything rash, just hope your daughter doesn't get it (because it's no fun to be sick) and say some tehilim for those that have it for a refuah shlaima.

I hear e/t you are saying and I appreciate it alot. I guess I am just really really distraught right now over this. but what I am not getting is ok fine people can say from now until next year that this happened despite vaccinations, but then why is it constrained to a few communities where the vaccination rates are notoriously low? something is not adding up.

you are right. my DH had mumps as a kid, and he just remembers ice bags on his tonsils and watching cartoons with his brother (who also had it). but things can be dangerous, and having a sick kid halfway around the globe makes you feellike you have no control and it is very scary as a parent.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 9:09 pm
I think if you've had the vaccine the mumps are much weaker, and ends faster.

Soorry though, my kids are really little, I can't imagine sending them anywhere so I'll really can't imagine dealing with so - sorry that you have to.

Hooray

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 2:08 am
I am sure that it is difficult to think about your DD potentially getting sick when she is so far away. But just realize that the seminary is not likely at fault. There are currently mumps outbreaks in many places. There was a pretty lrg sized outbreak in the Mir here in E"y as well - and many of those affected had been vacinated as well. It is going around and there is little that can be done. There is really no reason to be angry or upset. Hopefully your daughter will be fine. Good luck!

amother

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 7:22 am
Say thanks to the "natural" trend. Or the carelessness.

No school will allow you here without vaccines BH.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 8:01 am
Hooray wrote:
I am sure that it is difficult to think about your DD potentially getting sick when she is so far away. But just realize that the seminary is not likely at fault. There are currently mumps outbreaks in many places. There was a pretty lrg sized outbreak in the Mir here in E"y as well - and many of those affected had been vacinated as well. It is going around and there is little that can be done. There is really no reason to be angry or upset. Hopefully your daughter will be fine. Good luck!

I guess it might not be their fault, and maybe I was over-reacting. but it is the fault of someone within the frum community, some rodeif out there where it started, and for that person's supidity and irresponsibility, hundreds if not thousands of jewish people around the world, including many innocent children, are getting sick! that makes me so angry Sad
whatever, I guess I am just venting.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
Say thanks to the "natural" trend. Or the carelessness.

No school will allow you here without vaccines BH.

by here I am assuming you mean in E"Y right? I guess it is not their fault. they make you get vaccination records. if some natural nut fudged the records, the school cant know that. Maybe I was overreacting. but yes, I do blame the "natural trend," these peopel are endangering thousands of lives. and not non jews in haiti or india or other people who "dont matter" in the eyes of some people (apparently!), but frum children! in yerushalayim, in london, in new york - this stupid trend has to stop!!! it is sick!

GetReal

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 9:20 am
Maybe I am dense but if most of the people getting mumps had the vaccines and some feel that the outbreak must be a different strain, then why blame this on someone who is not vaxed?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 9:25 am
A doctor has to sign the records.

But the outbreak has nothing to do with blaming people for fudging records and being rodfim for not vaccinating.

I think it's a sad situation when we rely on vaccines to think that our children will never get sick. Hashem is in charge. Vaccines can reduce the rate that a child will get a sickness, but it is not foolproof. Despite the large vaccination rates in the frum population (yes, it's large; especially in the frum population where people don't have information to think enough to buck the trend, most people just vaccinate as the doctors say to), children can get sick and do. Even with diseases vaccinated for. The reason that the outbreaks are happening mainly in the frum communities is because of closeness and exposure to sick people before the symptoms through schools, shuls, dorms, etc. The frum lifestyle is very community oriented and thus diseases can spread more easily.

Mumps really isn't that big of a deal. Even for the males. The changes of sterilization are extremely, extremely low. We are just scared in this day and age of some innocuous diseases because we figure if there is a vaccination for it, it must be terrible and we haven't witnessed the disease first hand ourselves.

IY"H your daughter will be fine, and won't even get sick, but even if she does, playing the blame game will get you nowhere. It's no one's fault. Hashem is the One running the world, and whether a child is vaccinated or not according to how the parent perceives the best course of hishtadlus to take, He is the One who decrees whether a child gets sick or not. Vaccination or not, all we can do is ask Hashem to please keep our children healthy as we have done the best we think we, as finite humans, can do.

pina colada

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 9:31 am
It probably wouldn't have spread so easily if everyone would have been vaccinated.

those who were vaccinated had a more mild case of the mumps, my younger sibling who was vaxed and caught the mumps was out of school 2 days, no fever.

Perplexing though why this outbreak affected only Jewish pple. These communities come in contact with store clerks, cleaning women, therapists that provide home care, etc, but afaik, only yidden have caught it as part of this outbreak.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 9:36 am
GetReal wrote:
Maybe I am dense but if most of the people getting mumps had the vaccines and some feel that the outbreak must be a different strain, then why blame this on someone who is not vaxed?

note the word MOST.
because the source had to be from someone who contracted it from somewhere. even if the "someone" who contracted it was an individual who was vaccinated 10 years ago but got a mild case, the "somewhere" the epicenter- the original source, that is someone who was not vaccinated.
and h. y.
I know a doctor has to sign the records
but if you claim you have a "religious exemption" apparently you can get away with murder.
and I use that saying both figuratively and unfortunately literally here.

we are not j's witnesses. who don't take blood transfusions or stuff like that, or believe medicine is poison. so religious exemption is using judaism as an excuse for being a "natural parent" or whatver it is called.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
GetReal wrote:

note the word MOST.
because the source had to be from someone who contracted it from somewhere. even if the "someone" who contracted it was an individual who was vaccinated 10 years ago but got a mild case, the "somewhere" the epicenter- the original source, that is someone who was not vaccinated.

That's inaccurate. The vaccine is not foolproof and the disease was never eradicated. You're going to blame mumps for existing because people weren't vaccinated before the vaccine came out?

Quote:

and h. y.
I know a doctor has to sign the records
but if you claim you have a "religious exemption" apparently you can get away with murder.

Signing a religious exemption waiver is not fudging records. The records would still show that the child was not vaccinated. There is no lying.
And you can't get away with murder.

Would you have the same concerns if a parent wasn't allowed to vaccinate her child because her child is allergic to eggs which is part of the MMR vaccine? Perhaps that child is a rodef?

Quote:

we are not j's witnesses. who don't take blood transfusions or stuff like that, or believe medicine is poison. so religious exemption is using judaism as an excuse for being a "natural parent" or whatver it is called.
Are you a rav to pasken halacha like that?
There are some rabbonim who hold strongly that keeping one's body as healthy as possible is a Torah mandate, and this extends to individuals to forego some vaccinations.

Mrs.K

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 10:00 am
A month ago my nephew had a horrible case of mumps. They then became infected and he was subsequently hospitalized. It was horrible.

My nephew had been properly vaccinated. His pediatrician told my sister that this was the 6th case he had seen that week (she lives in a very small community, I'm talking 3 blocks), every one had been properly vaccinated.

Last edited by Mrs.K on Fri, Feb 12 2010, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 10:03 am
[quote="Hashem_Yaazor"]
Despite the large vaccination rates in the frum population (yes, it's large; especially in the frum population where people don't have information to think enough to buck the trend, most people just vaccinate as the doctors say to), children can get sick and do. Even with diseases vaccinated for. The reason that the outbreaks are happening mainly in the frum communities is because of closeness and exposure to sick people before the symptoms through schools, shuls, dorms, etc. The frum lifestyle is very community oriented and thus diseases can spread more easily.
[\quote]

I think a lot of frum people don't vaccinate. Maybe in Balt they do but I've spoken to a number of people who don't because someone told them its dangerous, causes autism, etc. And they don't do it based on word of mouth, not because of research or being educated the other way. In some communities the rate of vaccination is pretty low.
(I do vaccinate)

amother

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 10:04 am
Does anyone know how bad it is in Lakewood? We're set to go in a few weeks for a simcha and I'm very nervous about bringing one of my kids. In good health, B"H, but on an immunosuppressant for his Crohn's. (For the record, he will be fine being left here with friends.)

GetReal

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 10:09 am
amother wrote:

note the word MOST.

Yes, but I still don't get your logic of saying that the original source bringing mumps into the frum world was unvaccinated. If vaccinated people are catching it now, then maybe the first frum person to get it was Yankel Tudres who was vaccinated, but this strain was not prevented by the vax and/or was vaxed properly but each person reacts differently and it didn't work for him (the CDC I think says the mumps vax is 85% effective?) and/or vaxed properly when he was a toddler but it wore off?

So go on and on about Yankel Tudres being a rodef but what else could he or his parents have done?

I really hope your dd stays healthy and well but I think you are being extreme and inaccurate when you don't know the real facts.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 10:14 am
sky wrote:

I think a lot of frum people don't vaccinate. Maybe in Balt they do but I've spoken to a number of people who don't because someone told them its dangerous, causes autism, etc. And they don't do it based on word of mouth, not because of research or being educated the other way. In some communities the rate of vaccination is pretty low.
(I do vaccinate)
I'm not talking Baltimore.
I'm talking Brooklyn, Monsey, Williamsburg, Montreal -- all places that have had these outbreaks.
I think it's easier to hear and remember those who go against the trend than all those who do the "norm" as they aren't the ones having discussions about vaccinating as much. It's not a topic that particularly interests them (until an outbreak occurs).

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 11:23 am
If you want to blame someone, blame the CDC who has created that cushy little corner where vaccines are believed to be the answer to all problems on the face of this earth.

I hope your DD feels better.

Btw, the mumps vaccine only started in the 1960's.

life'sgreat

Post Fri, Feb 12 2010, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
I hear e/t you are saying and I appreciate it alot. I guess I am just really really distraught right now over this. but what I am not getting is ok fine people can say from now until next year that this happened despite vaccinations, but then why is it constrained to a few communities where the vaccination rates are notoriously low? something is not adding up.

It's constrained to areas where people obviously come in contact with the others that are also getting the mumps. It shows up in clusters in various places. My nephew came for Succos to me from Eretz Yisroel and came down with the mumps after Rosh Hashana. He most likely caught it from one of the boys in the yeshiva. Within a few days many had it.

The pediatricians say that the amount of kids that are vaccinated and getting it is just about the same than those who aren't vaccinated. It's easy to find someone to blame, but we need to realize this is from G-d. I don't agree with not vaccinating because I'd never want to live with the guilt that CH"V if my child ends up having fertility issues or other such stuff because of me not vaxing. But I don't think they are to blame.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics