Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Whats happening to my laundry??

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:01 pm
The undershirts in my white load are getting little holes in them for no apparent reason. What could be causing this? I use detergent, fabric softener and ran- to keep the whites white... (its only the undershirts, nothing else!)

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:15 pm
are you washing it with stuff that has zippers, buttons, rough fabric? try a gentle cycle?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:17 pm
Not really - its washing with underwear and button down shirts- the only thing with the holes are the undershirts!

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:18 pm
I sometimes think it's the hard water...when I started adding anti-lime stuff or vinegar it stopped happening. (I don't use fabric softener; it's known to weaken fibres.)

tizunabi

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:29 pm
it might also be that they are just old and the fabric has worn

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:31 pm
This is a serious question: do you have a Maytag?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 1:17 pm
are you using bleach?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 1:54 pm
Marion wrote:
I sometimes think it's the hard water...when I started adding anti-lime stuff or vinegar it stopped happening. (I don't use fabric softener; it's known to weaken fibres.)

I also think it's the hard water and I don't use bleach. Thanks for your suggestion. But what is anti-lime stuff? Can you give an example? And how much of it do you add to your loads? To all loads or only the white?

BTW it doesn't happen to the פלאי undershirts which are excellent undershirts.

Marion

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:00 pm
There's a brand called Calgon. I use it sporadically, not just for the whites. Every 10th load or so...just dump some in with the detergent (it's a powder; I use maybe 1/4 cup?). Sometimes it's in the white load, sometimes with the diapers, sometimes just the "regular" wash. Vinegar also works (and is cheaper than the Calgon).

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:04 pm
Marion wrote:
There's a brand called Calgon. I use it sporadically, not just for the whites. Every 10th load or so...just dump some in with the detergent (it's a powder; I use maybe 1/4 cup?). Sometimes it's in the white load, sometimes with the diapers, sometimes just the "regular" wash. Vinegar also works (and is cheaper than the Calgon).

Why only every 10th load or so? How does it prevent the undershirt or other stuff from tearing if it's not added to every wash?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 2:58 pm
Just by the way - the undershirts are relatively new (about a yr old) and the machine is a lavamat.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:07 pm
Okay. My Maytag here and my Maytag in the States makes holes in the clothes.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 1:55 am
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
Marion wrote:

Why only every 10th load or so? How does it prevent the undershirt or other stuff from tearing if it's not added to every wash?

Because it's not necessarily from the water in that particular load, it's from the buildup in the machine. So putting it in every "x" loads prevents the buildup. (I had it not only with the whites & undershirts, but also with the cloth diapers...Now I put it in every other load of diapers, so that comes out roughly every 10 loads, and I haven't had repeat problems with anything.)

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 7:39 am
Marion wrote:
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
Marion wrote:

Because it's not necessarily from the water in that particular load, it's from the buildup in the machine. So putting it in every "x" loads prevents the buildup. (I had it not only with the whites & undershirts, but also with the cloth diapers...Now I put it in every other load of diapers, so that comes out roughly every 10 loads, and I haven't had repeat problems with anything.)

Could you explain what you mean by "the buildup in the machine"? At the end of every wash the machine is completely empty. How does this powder help for the next few loads if there's not a speck of it left in the machine?

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 7:54 am
You don't usually see the buildup...it's in the piping etc. But flakes and bits escape into the water cycle.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 8:02 am
Marion wrote:
You don't usually see the buildup...it's in the piping etc. But flakes and bits escape into the water cycle.

Thanks. I'll bl"n give it a try. Is the same true for vinegar or is it only the powder? Could vinegar or that powder discolor any of the clothing if it's added in non-white loads?

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 8:04 am
Are those undershirts Israeli undershirts?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 8:07 am
Chocoholic wrote:
Are those undershirts Israeli undershirts?

The undershirt that tears are not Israeli undershirts. The Israeli ones פלאי does not tear.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 8:07 am
No, it shouldn't discolour anything. White powder/white vinegar.

And no, Chocoholic, the undershirts (and underwear, and diapers) in question were not Israeli.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions