Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Wedding Gemachs in Crown Hts- Easy Mitzvah!

Nomie

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 7:55 pm
Hello Imamothers,

The brother of one of my girlfriends just got engaged and they are planning to have the wedding in late August in Crown Heights. They are currently living in Israel, and I offered to help them with some of the planning since I am in NY. However, I live uptown and I'm a little cluless about Crown Heights weddings. This is an opportunity for any and all Imamothers who have any experience with the Brooklyn wedding planning scene to step forward and help me out!

PLUS it's an easy mitzvah! Hachnasat Kallah and you didn't even have to leave your computer! Win/win!

They are looking for:

A photographer
Centerpieces
gowns (both for the bride and the bridal party)
plus someone to do hair/makeup for the bride

Thank you in advance, tizku l'mitzvot!

Justlookup

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 8:40 pm
Wow, this is real easy!
Firstly, there is a Simcha Guide they sell in stores in CH that have the listings for EVERYTHING - its good for anybody, getting married anywhere in Brooklyn, but specifically in Crown Heights as it has all the info needed for CH halls, makeup artists, photographers etc. etc. If anybody on this forum has it, or you can get to CH to get it, I'm sure it will help you tons.
Second of all, here's what I can recommend:
-Have they booked the hall yet? That's something that usually fills up very quickly so be sure they took care of that first. There are two big halls in CH and some other smaller ones. How many people are they expecting at this wedding?
-Photographer: Levi Liberow is very good. I dont know what price range you're looking at, there are cheaper ones that are very good too. He is considered average - meaning, he's not one of the crazy-overpriced expensive ones, but not one of the cheaper ones either and he usually takes very good pics. If you would like a more budget-friendly photographer let me know.
-Gowns: There is a Kallah Gmach in CH called Ten Yad. They usually have beautiful gowns but many people check all over - Flatbush, Boro Park etc. For family, there are also some gmach's in CH, but again, people check all over Bklyn/Queens etc. For gowns I'd say try to get hold of a gown gmach listing (perhaps online of if someone has a list) so she can shop around...
-Centerpieces: There is a flower shop on Albany Avenue called Mimulo that does awesome pieces. There are also plenty of places in BP that do beautiful jobs - again, this is something that you could look up at a 'regular' listing and choose based on budget/taste etc.
-Makeup: Henya Holtzberg does makeup and she usually does a stunning job. Also, I forget her name but the woman from Crown Cosmetics (somebody help me please) does gorgeous makeup. Another good choice is Mrs. Goldreich.
-Hair: I cant remember her first name but (Bruchstadt) Cousin does a great job for hair. Also, Chayale Kievman - but we've only used her for kids so far. Another great option is Chayale Yechielov - she does shaitels (Beautiful pieces and is actually having a Kalla sale - 2 custom shaitels for 1 right now), but she might agree to do the hair for the wedding too.

If anyone has the book or access to the numbers of these people I listed, please post. If you need any, let me know, I'll try to look online for you or ask around.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 8:42 pm
you can buy "the Simcha directory" in some of the CH stores. it costs just two dollars. It has sections on everything involved in making a simcha, whether chasunah, bar mitzvah or other. There are listings of Gemach's, local and general, photographers, musicians and other services, like gown gemachs. It came out about two years ago, so may need a little updating, but has loads of information.

YALT

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 9:14 pm
just to fill in a bit of info.
For hair, her name is Chanie Cousin. 718-493-9754. She cut my daughter's hair and did a great job.
For my wedding, Chayale Eber - (don't know her married name, but she worked for Raizy) did an AMAZING job! my hair is so thin, nothing works! and she did a gr8 job!
For makeup we used Mrs. Goldreich and her friend from Flatbush or somewhere. I think her name was Vivian. We were very happy with them.
If you're looking for video as well, we were very happy with Zalman Tevel.

Last edited by YALT on Tue, May 03 2011, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

cheerio

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 9:19 pm
contact Devorah Benjamin
www.kscvk.org

YALT

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 9:20 pm
Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but the photographers offer different packages. They often suggest to those who aren't sure, to take the 6-hr pkg. this means, if they come at 2:00 to start pictures, they'll be out of there by 8pm. Pretty much right after the first dance. Then they charge "overtime" for any extra time you ask them to stay.
Either take them for say 10 hours, or "unlimited" - which means they stay until the end.
Unless, of course, they don't mind not having pictures of when the latecomers come, the sheva brachos, special appearances, etc.

cip

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 10:49 pm
I vote for chana goldreich for makeup. alon anova is good for photo-he's more artsy. you can call devorah benjamin. she's a pro at planning weddings. she charges for being a party planner or she does it as part of her tzedaka org. for free when needed.

Nomie

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 4:57 pm
Thank you, Imamothers, for volunteering your information!! I've forwarded along the resources, and hopefully the wedding will come together really easily.

Thanks again, everybody!

jodiohrnaava

Post Sun, Feb 19 2012, 12:47 am
We have a great photographer Rubin 917-544-6787, just say Jodi of Ohr Naava sent you, he will give an amazing deal on whatever you chooses, he is a top notch professional photographer that loves to do chesed at any chance.

also for shaitels Yael Avivia wigs is amazing. her number is 586-873-0244, she will work with the kallah from beginning to end, very reasonable.

for a wedding gown, veil tiara & petty coat I have all of that at no cost, just a deposit to be returned when gown is returned cleaned and in great condition. We are a loan gemach.

I have tons of ppl to help them out let me know if you need more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics