Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How cold is too cold to walk ouside with a baby and toddler?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 4:35 pm
I will probably have to pick up my child from the nursery school. This will be OK once the weather gets warmer, but for now the weather is really cold!

What is the lowest temperature you'd be willing to walk outside with your little ones? I have 2 year old and a 7 month old. Would you walk if there are snow flurries? I have to walk about 5 blocks. That will be about 10-15 minutes there. Once I pick up dd, it will be at least 20 minutes back, if not longer, with a 3 year old walking. Can you recommend anything to keep them really warm? Or would their snowsuits and a blanket or 2 be sufficient? I have one of those plastic stroller covers, so that will help with the wind and any snow that is falling!

Thanks!

sky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 4:41 pm
I take my 3 month old and then pick up a 2 yr old and 3 yr old along the way. They are bundled up and I figure the fresh air is good for them. If it is below 35 and/or raining and/or snowing then I'll just do pickup but if the weather is any warmer and dry then we'll stay out longer.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 4:43 pm
sky wrote:
I take my 3 month old and then pick up a 2 yr old and 3 yr old along the way. They are bundled up and I figure the fresh air is good for them. If it is below 35 and/or raining and/or snowing then I'll just do pickup but if the weather is any warmer and dry then we'll stay out longer.

OP here: How much do you bundle them up? Is your 3 year old OK with walking back in the cold?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 4:56 pm
OP here: Also, I could end up having to pick up my 5 year old 1 hour later. It won't be possible to walk home and then back again, so I would just have to kind of walk around for an hour. Is it too cold now to walk around for that amount of time? I could end up being out walking around for 1 1/2 hours!

sky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 5:11 pm
My 3 yr old is the second stop and closer to the house. He doesn't have a problem. Its only 7 minute walk from his stop so it is not so long. He has gloves, hat, scarf, warm jacket. When there is snow on the ground he has boots on. The problem is that he walks very slow and gets distracted by the scenery so it can take longer.
Sometimes I'll have him sit in the carriage and my 2 yr old either on his lap or on the platform on top of the wheel but normally he walks.
Next year he will be about a 15 minute walk away. I'm not sure what I will do then. I'm looking into getting a board that goes in the back for him to stand on but I'm not sure if it will work with my carriage. Maybe look into it and see if it will work for you.
(For walks other then pick-up my 3 yr old rides his bike and is normally faster then me.)
1 1/2 hours is a long time to be out even for me if it is windy. Can you wait inside somewhere.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 5:44 pm
sky wrote:
1 1/2 hours is a long time to be out even for me if it is windy. Can you wait inside somewhere.

OP here: Hopefully, I won't have to do the whole 1 1/2 hour thing...it IS way too long while it is still cold. There really isn't anywhere to wait inside. I'm hoping it'll be just to and from picking up my 3 yr old (but even that isn't great for non-weather related reasons..I'm supposed to be working until my 5 year old gets home...this pick-up will take out at least 45 minutes of work time..between bundling everyone, getthing them in strollers, actually walking there and back, getting out of the strollers, unbundled, and then warm again! oy!)

amother

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 12:54 pm
So, after a little over a week of walking, last night I decided I couldn't do it anymore, at least not while the weather is still lousy. We'll re-evaluate when the weather warms up.
The walk there was OK, a bit cold, but compared to everything else, not too bad.
However, I needed to start really early to bundle everyone, get the carriage out, the whole thing. Then the walk there.
Then the pick-up and walk home. My 3 year old was beyond miserable walking home. It was either snowing or raining. Or when it wasn't snowing or raining, the ground was snow-covered or wet. The kid came home so soggy and miserable. I felt so bad. Just until that point, the whole thing took 1 1/2 hours. Then when we came inside, I spent quite a bit of time drying her off and making her happy again. The other little kids were pretty miserable, too and needed to be cheered up as well. By that point, her brother was home.

In addition to the miserable walk experience and it's aftermath, I was losing precious work time. Since I work from home, I try to get a lot of it done in the morning. I can do some stuff when the 3 year old is home, but not when her brother is home. I was losing out on over 2 hours of being able to work!

We asked other mothers. No one could drive her home.

So, we hired a frum man in town that does driving to bring her home! If he doesnt have another job for the day, he is happy to bring her home. Today was day 1. We are all happy. My little girl came home dry. I had a normal work schedule again. It was worth every penny!

sky

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 7:02 pm
I'm glad it worked out for you. We still don't have sidewalks to walk on for our pick-up route because of the snow, and using the shoulder has been scary. But my walk is no where close to as long as your walk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics