Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Oh Hashem! Help ME! PINWORMS!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 10:01 pm
Help me! What do I do?? My daughter has pinworms. I called the doctor-he gave me medication-but what else do I need to do? What causes it? I am going to cry.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 10:27 pm
Please calm down, it's not the end of the world, and much more common than you think. Vermox (is that what he gave you?) works like a charm. within a few hours she should be fine. Just disinfect all your toilets and was her linen in hot water. She prob. picked it up in school, or in a public bathroom.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 10:30 pm
I fee like the worst mother. She has literally been up since Friday night, screaming the whole night. We thought she was constipated. Sad She was suffering all this time, poor kid. He gave us Mebendazole. Do I have to disinfect her room, her bedding, laundry, etc? Anyone?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 12:48 am
It's probably gone by now (hopefully!) but my sister used to get it all the time as a kid from sucking her thumb do much and my mother used to stick her in a warm bath to relieve the itch.

sa613

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 1:43 am
Calm down! It's OK! Just changing her sheets is fine. The kids pick it up usually from the sandbox. One treatment of the Vermox type medication and it's all over. (But you do need to do a follow-up dosage around a week later- check the package insert or follow your dr's instructions). Every one of my kids got it once or twice during the gan years. If they wake up screaming in the middle of the night that their tush hurts, you should suspect it. (Faint hearted stop reading here). You can confirm by looking closely at the rectal opening and you may see actual little white squiggly things. Totally gross. If you do see them and don't have the medication handy, you can insert, like a suppository, a clove of fresh peeled washed garlic.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 1:46 am
Chill out. It's very normal. Make sure your daughter washes her hands with soap alot.
I know that pinworms are picked up in the sandboxes here in Israel and also from other kids.
Try to make sure she washes with soap alot. And you too.
Best of luck!

lilacdreams

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 2:59 am
from my experience with my many daughters, they never got it in the tush area - the woems always migrated to the v.agina. Open her lips carefully, then using a WET q-tip gently dab it on the worm and it will come up immediately. Only use a wet q-tip or it wont work.

Zus

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 5:42 am
Until the Vermox kicks in, you can also put vaseline all round and inside the backside (and vag.). It prevents them from coming out and causing agony.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 6:56 am
Many children have them every year.

Now, in the v-gina?? oy va voy!!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 7:00 am
If women get them in the v-gina can they have relations?

Zus

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:

Pinworms are extremely contagious, so you may want to avoid being intimate until the Vermox kicks in.
Plus in the vag. it itches like crazy, I can't imagine anybody being in the mood while having pinworms there.
That said, I want to make clear that pinworms *always* come from the backside. They sometimes just crawl up to the vag, they don't live there. Just in case that wasn't clear.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 3:50 pm
Zus wrote:
amother wrote:

Pinworms are extremely contagious, so you may want to avoid being intimate until the Vermox kicks in.
Plus in the vag. it itches like crazy, I can't imagine anybody being in the mood while having pinworms there.
That said, I want to make clear that pinworms *always* come from the backside. They sometimes just crawl up to the vag, they don't live there. Just in case that wasn't clear.

Whew, as long as they don't "live" there. LOL

If one had pinworms in her vag would douching help?

Zus

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 3:55 pm
I'm against douching in general, and I don't think that it would help.
Besides, I don't think that the worms would actually travel up there. If they're in the vag area, they're usually at the vag opening and/or between the labia.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 4:02 pm
I remember getting them when I was little because I'd play outside and dig in the dirt, and then I'd put my fingers in my mouth. They'd probably gotten under my fingernails. Make sure you clip your daughter's nails and clean under them well. Clean all her linen in hot water.

From my experience, the pill always cleared them up immediately. I never had issues with them in the vag!nal area, they might go there during the night when they go out to lay eggs, but they always return to the backside afterwards.

Happy Mom

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 1:14 am
Amother, try to cut the sweets from your child's diet - worms find appealing homes in people eating a lot of sugar. Also buy some coconut oil from the health food store if you can and add it to her food (it's an antibacterial, antifungal). If you can't get that, or in addition to that, give her grated carrots and garlic to eat.

There's also a homeopathic remedy for this; sorry I don't know the name of it.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 4:55 pm
Zus wrote:
Until the Vermox kicks in, you can also put vaseline all round and inside the backside (and vag.). It prevents them from coming out and causing agony.

Thank you Zus. I was just looking this up b/c I found pinworms AGAIN in my child. I actually just saw a terrible sight, they were in DS's #2 diaper, in the #2 itself. Like 6 of them. SO GROSS. But I never heard of this vaseline trick and I am going to try it.

(Sorry TMI everybody) Puke
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics