Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Connection: PDD and Melatonin?

Sherri

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 12:18 pm
I don't have access to the Children with Special Needs forum, as I am posting for a friend. However, I am looking for information from those with knowledge and experience.

My friend's child is somewhere on the autistic spectrum (she's mentioned PDD diagnosis to me) and is having a hard time falling asleep at night. She's tried the pill Melatonin, and it worked. However, she is nervous about giving the hormone, she doesn't know why her child doesn't have it on his own. The therapists and doctors she's spoken to didn't tell her about any connection with her child's diagnosis and the sleep problem, but when I Google it (she doesn't have Internet access) I see it coming up a lot. I don't know how to read the studies- is there anyone that has experience or knowledge about this and can explain the situation?

What's the connection between PDD and melatonin, and is there a way to fix the problem without the pill, or is the solution to just give the pill if it works and leave it? She feels there's a bigger problem if her child isn't producing the hormone on his own, and is reluctant to just treat the symptom on its own.

Also, where could she find out more about this? I Googled some websites, but have a hard time seeing which ones are practical sources. (Are her therapists, pediatricians, etc. totally out of the loop for not knowing about the connection?)

Thank you very much for your help.

Sherri

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 3:08 pm
Bump

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 3:34 pm
Many regular kids have problems falling asleep. Many kids with ppd/autism also have problems falling asleep. Kids with adhd also have sleeping issues. Malatonim helps them fall asleep since they are missing or don't produce enough of the sleep hormone called malatonim. There is nothing wrong with giving it if it helps the child fall asleep.

Sherri

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 3:38 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Many regular kids have problems falling asleep. Many kids with ppd/autism also have problems falling asleep. Kids with adhd also have sleeping issues. Malatonim helps them fall asleep since they are missing or don't produce enough of the sleep hormone called malatonim. There is nothing wrong with giving it if it helps the child fall asleep.
Can I ask what your sources are? She mentioned that the pediatrician wasn't thrilled with her giving it to the kid, so I am wondering about that. And what do you think about treating the symptom and not the problem?

Sherri

Post Fri, Feb 19 2010, 7:51 am
Bump, again
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics