Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Waking up early to eat before fast

curlyhead

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 7:19 pm
I am dreading the fast as I am not used to fasting the minor fasts as the past few years I have been either pregnant or nursing. Now I have no excuses. Wondering if there is any point to eating breakfast and having my morning coffee before 6am when the fast starts. I am a coffee drinker and I wonder if a coffee before the fast will make it easier or harder. Sometimes I am up that early so it is not such a big deal to wake up early. My kids will be in school for half a day and home in the afternoon.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 7:23 pm
My DH always sets his alarm to get up early and eat before minor fast days -- he gets migraines otherwise.

Me, I need the sleep more than the food.

Can you try it, but without the coffee?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 7:42 pm
I have foudn it helps to get up before. I eat oatmeal and have a few almonds, and a little bit of coffee so that I don't get a headache from lack of caffeine. Just remember, it may be necessary to mentally or even verbally state that you are NOT taking on the fast with going to sleep, but rather intend to arise and eat until the time the fast begins. Also, I start drinking lots of water a few days before a short fast, and a week before a major fast.

Also, this is a rather meikel fast compared to others, so talk to the rav about how hard to push yourself, especially since you do have children to care for. Sometimes rabbonim are especially more meikel after chatzos and if there are children to care for.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 22 2010, 8:27 pm
it's a very minor fast, and the fact that it is not right on the date makes it even less. you might ask the rov ahead of time about that.

louche

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 1:55 pm
As I get up at the crack of dawn, anyway, I always eat before Taanis Esther and Assarah beTevet. I don't know that I'm any less hungry during the day--in fact, I may be even hungrier at lunchtime than if I hadn't eaten. If I don't have to be up anyway, I may decide that I need the sleep more.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 3:44 pm
I did it asara bteves and it was a huge help.

curlyhead

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 6:40 pm
Does drinking coffee help before the fast help if I drink 1 cup every morning or does it make it worse as it dehydrates? I will have to eat at 5:30.

curlyhead

Post Tue, Feb 23 2010, 6:41 pm
Yesterday was pesach cleaning and found 2 Israeli fasting pills. Just in time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note