Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
To the ppl living in EY- do you take full advantage?
1  2  Next

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Feb 28 2010, 11:32 pm
Do you take full advantage of EY?

do you realize you have something that millions of ppl have cried for for 2 thousand years?

do you take advantage of the kosel and mekomos hakedoshim and the general atmosphere?

do you know you have the best tasting produce in the world?

It's been three years since we moved away and not a day has gone by where I havent yearned for mashiach to take us back...or a million dollars....

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:20 am
ClaRivka wrote:

do you know you have the best tasting produce in the world?....
We no longer do, sadly enough. Israel industrialized farming and the produce is grown for longevity, which affects the flavor.

ClaRivka wrote:
It's been three years since we moved away and not a day has gone by where I havent yearned for mashiach to take us back...or a million dollars....
Most people here "just did it", obviously before Mashiach and generally without a million dollars or even half of that

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:43 am
ClaRivka wrote:

do you take advantage of the kosel and mekomos hakedoshim and the general atmosphere?

For some reason I thought you were satmar.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:52 am
We get to the kotel a few times a year. It's quite hard to go constantly when you are busy living your daily lives and not on vacation.

It's a choice and sacrifice to live here. If we didn't believe it was worth it, we would live in America.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 1:15 am
Quote:
not sure.

Quote:
do you realize you have something that millions of ppl have cried for for 2 thousand years?
I think about this all of the time and yes, I do realize that being able to live here is one of the most amazing brachot that HaShem has enabled me to do.

Quote:
it is a littl bit hard to do that when you are living every day life and not here to just be on a holiday. I do not remember the last time that I was at the kotel. my husband works and I am with my daughter every day and studying. it is not something that is possible unless you live close enough, to go to the kotel or any makom kadosh that often.

Quote:
ooohhhhh, I couldnt agree with you more. I love israeli cucumbers Smile

Quote:
all I can say to this is ((((((hugs)))))

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 1:50 am
ClaRivka wrote:

No. The kotel is a retaining wall and has no inherent kedusha. I tend to stay away from anywhere that has huge crowds (including the supermarket anytime after Wednesday), especially when I think they're "overhyped".

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:44 am
Marion wrote:
ClaRivka wrote:

No. The kotel is a retaining wall and has no inherent kedusha.

Huh? Chazal say the Shechina hasn't left the kotel. If it has no kedusha, why do some pasken that it is assur to touch and/or put your fingers in any holes in the kotel? And it's the closest we can get to Har Habayit, which has such kedusha that someone tamei is chayav kareis even today to go there.

As far as the original question, ITA that we don't take full advantage because when you are living here you have everyday life to take care of. Travel is also expensive for a family when you are on a budget.

But I do often remind myself of being in EY and teach my children to appreciate it too. My dh, who was born here, also appreciates it. We also appreciate things like the more ruchniusdik atmosphere we are able to live in.

And I came here without a million dollars...

Inspired

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:08 am
catonmylap wrote:
We get to the kotel a few times a year. It's quite hard to go constantly when you are busy living your daily lives and not on vacation.

It's a choice and sacrifice to live here. If we didn't believe it was worth it, we would live in America.

I agree, but change the kotel thing to once every few years. I am hardly ever in yerushalayim.

willow

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:31 am
The honest answer is usually no. But there are times when I do think consciously about it and become filled with light.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 5:01 am
I don't get to Jerusalem much any more. And the Old City is not kind to single carriages, never mind double carriages.

Before the boys were born I'd go to the Kotel quite frequently and to Kever Rachel.

grace413

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 5:50 am
I'm constantly cognizant of and thankful for the great zchut of living in E"Y. I try to appreciate my good fortune in being here.

As others have said, regular life doesn't leave a lot of time for going to the Kotel and various other places.

Almost all the olim I know came here without large amounts of money. It's one of the miracles of the holy land that people manage somehow.

KAlex

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 5:57 am
ClaRivka wrote:

No. I'm pretty sure I don't take full advantage of any of the many brachot Hashem has sent me. I do try, however.

Quote:

Yes, although it's not something I'm constantly conscious of.

Quote:

I've been to the Kotel about as many times as months I've been living here (although that might well be two or three times in a week, and then not for ages). Not to the others. I go mostly when a friend is visiting from overseas, and meet her there, but also when I have something specific I think the atmosphere there will be conducive to daven about. Yes, I should probably go more. OTOH, I think if I were to go several times a week then I might well take it for granted. Which I wouldn't want to do.

Quote:

That I take advantage of...

Quote:

I'm still holding out for Mashiach to be here by Pesach. Last year at the seder my friend's DH (I nearly always went to them for the sedarim) gave me a bracha that the next year I'd have my husband at their seder too. (At that point I'd had a few contacts with my DH, but they didn't know that, and nothing was anywhere near certain yet.) Well now I'll be with my DH, but I need Mashiach to come so that they'll be here too!

shiradye

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:56 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Quote:
not sure.

Quote:
I think about this all of the time and yes, I do realize that being able to live here is one of the most amazing brachot that HaShem has enabled me to do.

Quote:
it is a littl bit hard to do that when you are living every day life and not here to just be on a holiday. I do not remember the last time that I was at the kotel. my husband works and I am with my daughter every day and studying. it is not something that is possible unless you live close enough, to go to the kotel or any makom kadosh that often.

Quote:
ooohhhhh, I couldnt agree with you more. I love israeli cucumbers Smile

Quote:
all I can say to this is ((((((hugs)))))

Thumbs Up

amother

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 3:58 pm
sequoia wrote:
ClaRivka wrote:

For some reason I thought you were satmar.

I believe ClaRivka is a Gerrer.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:04 pm
When we do get to the kotel, it's special and we make it special for the kids.

I start almost every morning with delicious fresh fruit grown locally.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:56 pm
yes, I am a Gerrer.

Tova

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:00 pm
When I was in E"Y about 10 months ago, I took a lot of cabs as I had a 6 month old baby with me. Once I took a cab to the Kosel from Sanhedria Murchevet and it ended up being 70 shekels. There was a lot of traffic, a main street was closed off, etc. [Normally it was only 25-35 shekels.] The nahag apologized and I said (in my best Hebrew) - I am so happy to pay 70 shekels. In America you can't pay 70 DOLLARS to go to the Kosel. [Which is why I find Americans price-bargaining with the Israeli cab drivers VERY distasteful. If you can afford a trip to Israel you can afford the extra $5 - 20 shekels - and don't have to bargain down.

I feel like if I lived in E"Y (especially Y"m) I'd go to the Kosel every Motzei Shabbos, but I know that I am not thinking realistically about it. It's just hard to imagine living a bus ride or a few dollars away and not going more often. [Yes, I know some communities in Israel can be a couple of hours away. No need to educate me on E"Y geography; I am speaking emotionally here.]

Isramom8

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:09 pm
When I lived in Yerushalayim I tried to go on Rosh Chodesh.

It's like everything else; you get used to its availablility. You feel that you can always go at any time. Now, when I get a ride in to Yerushalayim, the drivers have plans that don't include the kotel, and time is limited, traffic is heavy, parking is difficult in that area, etc.

Rav Avigdor Miller zt"l said that if the Chofetz Chaim would come back to Earth for one day, everyone would flock to hear him speak. But in his time, his shiurim were not always heavily attended. People took him for granted.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 8:35 pm
Tova wrote:
When I was in E"Y about 10 months ago, I took a lot of cabs as I had a 6 month old baby with me. Once I took a cab to the Kosel from Sanhedria Murchevet and it ended up being 70 shekels. There was a lot of traffic, a main street was closed off, etc. [Normally it was only 25-35 shekels.] The nahag apologized and I said (in my best Hebrew) - I am so happy to pay 70 shekels. In America you can't pay 70 DOLLARS to go to the Kosel. [Which is why I find Americans price-bargaining with the Israeli cab drivers VERY distasteful. If you can afford a trip to Israel you can afford the extra $5 - 20 shekels - and don't have to bargain down.

While I abhor bargaining at any time for any thing, I disagree with your assertion that if one can afford flying to Israel, they can afford the extra whatever to get places.

Tova

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:30 pm
We'll have to disagree here. We are a kollel couple and not wealthy by any means, but if I spent $1,000 (which when I was traveling was actually a good price) on a ticket I am not pinching pennies. If so, taking such a trip (which was SO important and invigorating for me at the time) would have been an utterly irresponsible thing to do.

If you (general you) cannot afford the extra 5 dollars slash 20 shekels you (general again) are bargaining down, guess what? The cab driver can "afford" the reduction in price even less. $5 to an American is worth much less than 20 shekels to an Israeli.

Regarding bargaining, there is also a halachic concept of ona'ah. Putting pressure on someone to lower a price can actually be assur.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions