Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF
1  2  Next

Would you answer a strangers request to chat?
never ever  
 80%  [ 97 ]
only a woman or girl  
 13%  [ 16 ]
sure, guys and gals, as long as they sound safe...!  
 5%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 120

chilled

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:54 pm
HELP, y'all!

I am doing a survey for college and I need you guys desperately!

please fill out the survey above and leave a comment why you chose what you did. if posssible, please leave basic demograpics about yourself. the more info the better I look!

Last edited by chilled on Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

chica

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:56 pm
I don't see what this has to do with fb.... you can only chat with people on your friends list....

chilled

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:58 pm
got a better idea?

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 7:08 pm
Any Instant Messenging program would work. And no, I won't chat unless I know who it is. And if someone is a creepy guy or harassing me, I'd block them.

JC

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:26 pm
Depends what you mean by strangers.

I play an online game and we have chat rooms... some of my fellow players from around the world have become friends, but they all started out as strangers.

I have gotten random requests on FB to be friends - and those I refuse (they are usually jewish married guys UGH) - but in another context sure...

It all depend how you define stranger.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:43 pm
It depends what you mean by chat.
I play Scrabble with people from all over the world, and we often congratulate each other on a particularly good word.
I would only have a longer conversation with someone I would be friends with IRL.
I once played against a "Chani", when I inquired if she was from NY. He said he was from Japan. Oh well.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 9:52 pm
I wouldn't accept anyone before I know who it is.

Simple1

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:05 pm
I voted yes, but now that I think about it I'm not so sure, so I guess I would approach very cautiously as you never know who they really are.

melbee

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:11 pm
I voted never. In my college years, I was not always so cautious about chatting with strangers, and I learned that oftentimes people are not who they say they are, and can be really creepy. I also remember in middle school a friend went online at my house and pretended to be much older than we were. She thought it was funny, but it left a really bad feeling in my stomach (to the point where I still get nervous thinking about it). So now I only chat with people I know IRL.

I do use imamother chat though, so if you're counting that, maybe change my answer to only with women?

chilled

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 12:07 am
c'mon you guys, I seriously need this for a college report? if you think my survey is cheesy, PLEASE give me a better idea on what I can survey! Please!

smilingmom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 7:24 am
chilled wrote:
c'mon you guys, I seriously need this for a college report? if you think my survey is cheesy, PLEASE give me a better idea on what I can survey! Please!

I think it is a great topic, but you have to realize imamother's homogeneous demographics. If you placed this poll on your FB page, you may get different responses, (that's if you have a diverse group of FB friends)

KAlex

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 8:14 am
My first comment is that you didn't specify whether you meant online or in real life. Most people seem to be taking it as online, in a specific chat program/part of a website, and that's how I answered (no, I don't), but in real life, yes, I'll chat to women I meet randomly. It's a good way to pass long journeys when travelling alone. Being someone who happily crafts in public, I do sometimes get people striking up conversation.

Like Smilingmom above, I play Scrabble online with strangers (on FB), and sometimes there'll be a 'Hi' at the beginning, or congratulations on a particularly good word. I usually go into a game started by my opponent, so I can play against women, but sometimes there's an ambiguous name and picture. In the one case where I was playing a game against a man and he started trying to chat, I didn't answer and just played the game out. If he'd been objectionable I'd have cancelled the game.

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:56 am
I would never!! When I was single and the internet chat thing was just begining I have to admit I did, but always with a friend - and always feeling a little silly.

A friend of a friend ran away from her parents house at 17 to meet a guy she met online and that was it for me, I was way to scared to do anything like that again. I do have a friend who chats and meets people from online all the time and I'm always scared for her.

Hmmm I'll try to give some info to help you out. I'm 30, married, jewish Very Happy , not sure what else you need.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 7:43 am
24 married, and I said never ever- except on imamother!

chilled

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 11:19 am
Thank you, ya'll for participating in my poll!

For those who can still help out, PLEASE, if you can, add basic age, marital status... any demographics that you are comfy sharing. can all by anon.

Also, the explainations, the better it is. so write all you want under your answer. opinions, questions, anything.

Thanx again!

smilingmom

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 3:38 pm
smilingmom wrote:
It depends what you mean by chat.
I play Scrabble with people from all over the world, and we often congratulate each other on a particularly good word.
I would only have a longer conversation with someone I would be friends with IRL.
I once played against a "Chani", when I inquired if she was from NY. He said he was from Japan. Oh well.

51, married, ny

JC

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 6:00 pm
JC wrote:
Depends what you mean by strangers.

I play an online game and we have chat rooms... some of my fellow players from around the world have become friends, but they all started out as strangers.

I have gotten random requests on FB to be friends - and those I refuse (they are usually jewish married guys UGH) - but in another context sure...

It all depend how you define stranger.

40 married female very OOT but from NYC
and I would have to vote that yeah I talk to lots of people I dont know and in depth. I have made friends around the world, and while the close friendship of chatting for hours as we play the war game dont last more than the lenght of the game (a few months) I keep in touch with a few via skype and FB.
But I am like that and rather enjoy that kind of friendship.

Zus

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 12:44 pm
I used to chat a lot on irc 10 or so years ago. Also to total strangers. It was part of the fun! In fact, that's how I met DH Smile

But I voted never ever. And I probably have a different reason than most women here. It's just that I'm not interested (anymore) in chatting to total strangers. Been there, done that, tired of it now! It's like repeating the same conversation over and over again.

I'm 32, BT, married +4, living in Jerusalem but originally from Holland.

freidasima

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 3:57 pm
I voted never ever on something general.

Emails, possibly, with a PM from someone on a board like imamother, which is women, religious, and has a questionnaire to get in so I know I'm writing to a frum woman.
But I have never gone into a chat room and hopefully never will.
I
50 married, 5 children, EY.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 3:14 pm
Never. If I recieve a request for Gmail chat from s/o I don't know, I decline. If they ask again, they get blocked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics