Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Having strept very often!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:27 pm
My dear daughter age 3 is having strept very often....we just finished the medication last week and this week again she came down with fever, we took throat culture and its strept. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

clowny

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:33 pm
She probably has enlarged tonsils and the solution to that is surgery. Talk to your doctor about it.

PIP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:37 pm
First off, does she always get strep or is this the first time she got it back to back? When was the last time she got strep before this? It could simply be the antibiotics didn't take away the original strep which happens sometimes. If she is constantly getting strep like once a month, I'd ask your ped about seeing an ENT.
But one case is no cause for concern. It happens.
Refuah Shelema!

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:46 pm
If it is indeed recurrent, then a tonsillectomy may be the answer. I think the yardstick by which the doctors make their decision is if there are more than 6 strep infections per year, then out come the tonsils!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:56 pm
I am the original poster--After she finishes the medication, I always take another throat culture to make sure it cleared up. She has it almost every month at least.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
I am the original poster--After she finishes the medication, I always take another throat culture to make sure it cleared up. She has it almost every month at least.
Is this the first year this is happening?
(My daughter had 5-6 strep infections each winter for 3 years straight. They call chronic strep, but the amount of strep she gets is borderline and as such they have not suggested surgery.)
Definately speak to your PED and an ENT if necessary.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics