Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Alternative to tubes in ear/gromets

curlyhead

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 4:00 pm
Just wondering if anyone had tried any alternatives to gromets that worked. My toddler has already had fluid in his ears for 9 months after having constant colds a whole winter. Last I time got him tested one ear was clear and the other had fluid. This was better then it has been previously. I am just getting frustrated as he yells and kvetchs to communicate. He only says 2 words and he is almost 2.

Last edited by curlyhead on Sat, Mar 06 2010, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

merelyme

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 4:22 pm
I just read a letter (I think in an old Binah magazine) from someone who got oregano oil in the health food store and put it behind her child's ears (both ears, though the problem was only in one ear). She claimed that worked.

My sil says her chiropractor showed her a series of massages that take about 1 minute and that help drain the fluid in the kid's ears.

BTW, in the U.S. these are called tubes in the ears. Perhaps if you change the title you'll get further responses.

Hatzlachah and refuah sheleimah!

pecan

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 8:58 pm
There has already been a thread with a lot of suggestions on this site. Try a search for it - sorry but I don't know how to post links.

poemmom

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 9:21 pm
dd had almost constant ear infections. she got tubes last November when she was 18 mo., and has never had an ear infection or fluid since. We are so happy we had it done!

curlyhead

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 3:46 pm
Someone told me a chiroprachter could help did anyone try this?
I also heard Acidophilus could help - anyone had experiance postive or negative?

Rodent

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 4:58 pm
Someone recommended I cut out dairy from their diet but one of them was already dairy free for other reasons and the other had barely any as a result of that and it didn't make a difference.

I've heard the chiropractor thing but read a lot of "it didn't work" comments also. I never tried personally.

My older 2 got grommets in December and it has made such a HUGE difference. They both had significant speech issues like your son including our just 2 year old only having a couple of words also. Their speech is improving out of sight! Yes, they're still behind and they will both have speech therapy but they've improved so much quicker than ever before. (And no infections from either, #2 had them often, #1 not so often but to have no infections in this long from either is great!)

By the way, after the first failed hearing test they were both given antibiotics which cleared their ears but it was short lived. 2 months on they were blocked again and failed hearing tests again.

Try alternatives if you want in the meantime but don't put off getting grommets if they are suggested, they are wonderful and will make such a difference in his life and yours also. It's such a simple procedure, really.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics