Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you use a crockpot liner?

elkayed

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 6:08 pm
The inside of my Westbend crockpot is starting to peel and I think I need to use a liner or bag now. Any clue how? Do I need to put water in between the bag and the pot?

Last edited by elkayed on Mon, Jun 12 2006, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

yrs1025

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 6:18 pm
I put water in the crockpot and then put the bag in. It really makes clean up a breeze.

shoy18

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 6:18 pm
yrs1025 wrote:
I put water in the crockpot and then put the bag in. It really makes clean up a breeze.

DITTP

elkayed

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 6:21 pm
How much water?

MMEC123

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 6:33 pm
The box the my crockpot liners came in tells you how much water to put in. Check the box.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 7:17 pm
I hated them only because I put the water in, then the bag & it moved when I tried to add the cholent ingredients. I found it easier to empty my shabbos kettle into it after Shabbos, let it soak a half hour & it cleans very well.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 10:01 pm
I think the box usually says to add a cut of water before putting in the bag but I put more, because sometimes in evaporates. (esp. if you put the crockpot on high).
it's such a great help!!!
also make sure to add water to your cholent as usual.

batya_d

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 10:44 pm
Reynolds brand Slow Cooker Liners do not need water added, I use them every week. The cheaper brands do need water, and the box will tell you how much.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 7:15 am
batya_d wrote:
Reynolds brand Slow Cooker Liners do not need water added, I use them every week. The cheaper brands do need water, and the box will tell you how much.

I got 1 box of this type and the first time I tried it, by shabbos day it seemed it was best to add some water. maybe I had it on high before shabbos or something, I'm not sure? Do you have it on low for 15-24 hours and it's still not melted?

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 7:25 am
What size do the reynolds come in? my crockpot is very big and all the bags I've bought are too small.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 9:46 am
I would try to return the crockpot for a new one. Look for the Westbend website and complain.

batya_d

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 11:55 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

I got 1 box of this type and the first time I tried it, by shabbos day it seemed it was best to add some water. maybe I had it on high before shabbos or something, I'm not sure? Do you have it on low for 15-24 hours and it's still not melted?

I leave my crockpot on high for 4 hours, then it switches automatically to low for the rest of the day. The liner is fine even for 24 hours. It doesn't melt, though it does stick a little to the sides. Adding water would probably help this, but I've never had a problem.

Quote:
What size do the reynolds come in? my crockpot is very big and all the bags I've bought are too small.

My crockpot is one of the large oval ones, and the reynolds fits it perfectly. They come in one size only.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 11:58 am
You can try spraying the crockpot with pam under the liner so it won't stick.

batya_d

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 12:19 pm
only1 wrote:
You can try spraying the crockpot with pam under the liner so it won't stick.

Thanks, that's a great tip!

elkayed

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 1:14 pm
so the water is just to stop it from sticking? not from burning? its ok for a plastic bag to be so close to heat for so long?

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jun 13 2006, 1:42 pm
elkayed wrote:
so the water is just to stop it from sticking? not from burning? its ok for a plastic bag to be so close to heat for so long?

Both! It is a special kind of plastic - but if it sticks to the crockpot then it's more likely to burn - the water is a barrier.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 14 2006, 10:56 am
We put water, but our liners still melt -- we think it's due to the steam built up. Even though it's always on low, it's on for over a day and many times it melts...

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jun 14 2006, 11:04 am
Yea so that's why I would try to return the crockpot for a new one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen