Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What to cook with knee bones?

shanequa

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 10:38 pm
can I make anything other than patcha with knee bones. got them instead of neck bones by accident. I will not make patcha cant stomach the idea.

Mamish Mama

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 10:46 pm
In addition to ptcha I put them in my sephardi rice cholent and also make a soup with them. I serve the soup for winter Shabbat lunches in leiu of cholent (it needs to cook for 18-24 hours) it has either cow feet or knee bones, chick peas, potatoes, and a generous piece of cholent meat.

shanequa

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 10:54 pm
do I need them to cook for a really long time? or can I put them in a regular soup pot not a crock pot?

prettyme

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 10:58 pm
I cook them in my chicken soup for friday night, and it should cook about 10-12 hours for softness. Knee bones makes a very fatty soup but heavenly!

Mamish Mama

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 11:01 pm
So 99.9% of the time I cook them (cholent method not soup) on gas but have tried the crock pot and it works as well. They do need to cook for a minimum of 7 hours or so (that's on gas). The soup will not be good unless cooked over night. Is so simple and fast to throw together, worth a try. I sometimes serve it for Friday night and put it up on Thurs night so it's one less thing to prep/cook do on erev Shabbat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics