Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Thinning a sheitl(Too much hair)

myomi

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 6:45 pm
I recently bought a sheitl that I find has a bit too much hair for my liking. I have yet to cut it, will cutting(in layers, ESPECIALLY framing my face) help with making it seem like there is "less" hair? Does anyone have any suggestions?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 7:13 pm
Yes. I suggest you not thin it, as a sheital naturally loses hair over time.

myomi

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 7:18 pm
so the layers will be helpful to make it seem as if there is less? esp. around the face.

6coop

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 7:25 pm
Layering will make it look thinner only by the ends where it is layered. Layering also changes the style of a wig, so only layer if you want that style. If the sheitel has too much hair all over, then you need to thin it. Don't be afraid of thinning. Most sheitels don't lose so much hair so quickly, and you want to be happy with it right off the bat, not only after a few years as the hair gradually falls out.

ilovestrollers

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 7:36 pm
You can thin a little bit, but I wouldn't thin it completely to your liking, because it will lose hair.

myomi

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 7:38 pm
Thank you for your input. I am more concered with the hair around my face as opposed to the back, so I will layer it(it is a fall) so I hope it will help.

mikukl

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 1:00 am
My wig stylist showed me how the hair was sewn in and she said she could take out every other row of hair so there isn't that many hairs. If you look how close the hair is one row to the other maybe its poss. to take some rows out. It's not an expensive job. About $10-$20.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 9:02 am
What will you do when that hair thins, add more? It's much more expsnsive to add then to take away.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 1:00 pm
in my experience with thinning, it caused the wig to become itchy and prickly where the tiny little hair stubs remained. also, if somewhere down the line you want to switch the style, like from side part to middle or whatever, it may be impossible because the thinned area will show. so proceed with caution. I regret doing mine.

mimimom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 8:22 pm
If it's a good shaitel I really don't think it should lose that much hair. At least mine never have--and I wash and style my own at least every two weeks and wear them forever. I agree with the above poster--get it done so that you are happy with it right off the bat. If it needs further maintenance later on THEN you can decide what to do. If I had waited for any of mine to thin I would never have been happy.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 8:28 pm
I just bought a sheitel with a ton of hair. WHen I was trying it on the hair was just everywere.
But once it was cut and styled it looks fantastic and I have not had problem with the hair.
I would first cut and style it and wear it for a while before thinning - just to see how it works then.
Ask the sheitel machur if there is a time period during which you can come back for an update with no charge. You can thin it then if you still want to.

yaelw

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:25 pm
I picked hair out from the top with tweezers to thin mine as I also do not like the little "spikes" that cutting to thin a sheitel leaves. it looks much better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels