Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How to kasher stove top grates for pesach?
1  2  Next

chouli

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 4:54 am
How do you kasher your grates for pesach? Do you just clean them and then let the fire burn for some time. or do you cover them with aluminium foil also? I heard both and am not sure what is really neccesary.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 5:05 am
I have a separate set, and have always had a separate set OR self cleaned the existing set.

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 5:12 am
Ask your LOR.

We clean them really well. Then we were told:

1. Best case scenario: take them for libun (if there are no rubber feet to destroy...)

2. Also acceptable: turn on the gas jets as high as they go for 10-15 minutes.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 3:25 pm
We ordered a new set plus knobs & oven racks from Maytag. Expensive but cheaper than a new oven & easier to store.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 3:32 pm
Put them in the oven when it's on self clean.

chouli

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 4:33 am
Thanks for your answers!
I don`t have a self cleaning oven. So I´ll just clean them and leave the fire on for some time.
Do I need to cover it also with aluminium foil?

mommy24

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 8:26 am
Shopaholic, where did you get them from? Maytag itself? I also wanted to order new grates, but my appliance man came up with a price of almost $200, so now I am not sure where to go.

shuli-not sure if you need to do it, but, be careful putting aluminam foil on, I once did that and after pesach when I went toa take off the foil, found that it was stuck on in places, I could never get it fully off.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 10:19 am
I think our grates were $25 each; we called the company to get them. It's an investment.

J

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 10:26 am
To those who self-clean stove top grates:

I was always afraid to do it. I'm afraid the grates are going to come out looking "chipped off" and/or a different color. In the manual it says not to put the grates in the oven for self-cleaning. Please assure me that nothing is going to happen to my precious grates. I cannot afford to get the new ones.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 10:32 am
tey might discolor. they might get a little out of shap[e.

SV

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:37 pm
J wrote:

I was always afraid to do it. I'm afraid the grates are going to come out looking "chipped off" and/or a different color. In the manual it says not to put the grates in the oven for self-cleaning. Please assure me that nothing is going to happen to my precious grates. I cannot afford to get the new ones.

We've done it for a few years already. Nothing happens to them.

abismommy

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 1:42 pm
SV wrote:
J wrote:

We've done it for a few years already. Nothing happens to them.

Depends what kind you have. My old grates I self-cleaned for a few years and nothing happened. My new ones are a cast-iron look and got a little ruined (besides the rubber feet that I forgot to remove embarrassed so they disintegrated)

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 8:23 pm
I take them to a kashering place where they use a blow torch

devorahh

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 9:07 pm
we soak them, scrub them, put a blech on them and turn on all the burners for 15 min.

chouli

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 4:19 am
I usually clean them and then let the burners on till they get really hot. I cover it with heavy aluminium foil. the fire really spreads beneath which is a bit scary. just wanted to know if there is a "safer" way to do it.

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 8:35 am
how does everyone clean them? in the sink or bathtub? with what cleaner?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 8:44 am
Torah Tidbits had just this question in their latest edition: http://www.ouisrael.org/tidbit.....sach/

Of course first and foremost, ask your LOR...

Quote:
Q: How does one prepare stovetop grates for Pesach use?

A: As is common for Pesach, the halacha is particularly strict on this matter, and the practice of many is more stringent than the classical sources indicate.

During the regular year, the almost universal practice is to use the same stovetop grates without even cleaning them between milchig and fleishig use. This surprising leniency is based on one or more of the following possibilities:

1) Even if the grates have absorbed taste from spilled milk and meat (and are thus treif), there is no transfer from the grates to the pots that sit on them. In general, there is no transfer from one utensil to another without food or liquid in between them (Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh Deah 92:8). Although when there is spillage there is liquid in between the two, the Chavat Da’at (92:20) says that only the presence of significant liquid has an impact. This does not occur on stovetops, as excess liquid quickly falls down.

2) The ongoing use of the stove with its fire serves as a kashering between the different uses (see Hagalat Keilim (Cohen) 13:(85)). 3) That which falls on it is expected to be burnt up before it can affect the grate (based on a similar concept in Shulchan Aruch, YD 92:6; this is an extremely optimistic assumption in most cases).

We might expect that one could likewise use the same grates without problem on Pesach. Yet, the Rama (Orach Chayim 451:4) says that a chatzuva (tripod, which people used like our grates) requires libun for Pesach (the form of kashering that employs extreme dry heat). There are various attempts to explain the stringency on Pesach. One is that as opposed to year-long prohibitions where only a discernable influx of taste ruins food, on Pesach, even the smallest transfer of absorbed material renders the food not kosher for Pesach (Shulchan Aruch, OC 447:1). Further- more, some claim that it is more likely that one will put matza directly on the grate, as opposed to milchig or fleishig during the year. However, the Rama’s source, the Mahari Weil (193), seems to justify this by the fact that chametz is a particularly severe prohibition and we are not used to staying away from it. Apparently, this is the real and only difference (see Hagalat Keilim ibid. at length).

Because this is a stringency, the Mishna Berura (451:34) says it is sufficient to do the easier form of libun, known as libun kal, a level of heat that most ovens are presumed to reach at their maximum heat within half an hour. He also says that if one put a pot on a non-kashered grate used during the year, it would not become chametzdic.

Many poskim say that one can choose between kashering the grates and cleaning them from any residue on the outside and then covering them (Hagalat Keilim 13:89). The suggested way of kashering is described by Rav Shimon Eider (Halachos of Pesach, pg. 178) as follows. One cleans the grates, then puts all of the burners on high for 15 minutes with a blech covering them so that they reach a very high temperature throughout. It is also possible to put them into an oven on high for around half an hour. If one puts them in a self-cleaning oven (if this is safe for them), then he covers every imaginable halachic base.
There should be no need to both kasher and cover the grates. (The stove top itself is harder to clean and questionable to kasher and is a different story. Most say to cover it, and we will leave the analysis for some other time.) However, our holy nation is at its most stringent mode on Pesach, and many fine Jews cover the grates with aluminum foil after kashering (Rav Sheinberg is among those who cites this as the standard practice). While we do not mandate this, we do not scoff at the idea either. If only from the perspective of time, it is likely worthwhile to purchase replacement grates for Pesach and spare ourselves of the significant time and work over many years of Pesach preparations.

Ask the Rabbi Q&A is part of Hemdat Yamim, the weekly parsha sheet by Eretz Hemdah. You can read the entire Hemdat Yamim at http://www.ou.org or http://www.eretzhemdah.org and/ or you can receive Hemdat Yamim by sending an email to info@eretzhemdah.org with the message: Subscribe/English or Subscribe/Hebrew leave subject blank. Ask the Vebbe Rebbe is partially funded by the Jewish Agency for Israel.

mommy24

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 7:29 am
does anyone know do you need to kasher the burner caps as well. I bought new grates but didn't think to get burner caps. (don't worry I am going to call my LOR, its just too early in the morning yet.)

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 9:15 am
I got replacement burner caps. Trhey were actually cheap compared to a second set of grates and racks.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Mar 26 2012, 9:24 am
Pineapple wrote:
I take them to a kashering place where they use a blow torch

DH does it himself. It's really not expensive to buy an aerosol can of gas and a blowtorch attachment that goes on top of it. You replace the can of gas when it runs out. The whole contraption is no bigger than a large can of hairspray. I can tell you where to buy one here in Jerusalem, but I bet you can find something similar near you.

Much cheaper and easier to DIY.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics