Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach "noodles"
1  2  Next

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 4:27 pm
anyone have a recipe?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 4:44 pm
some eggs, some water...maybe some potato starch. have a big skillet/frying pan and pour a thin layer to make a big crepe. They cook fast, so just remove to cool a little and then slice. Repeat until you run out of egg batter. Don't use too much starch...potato starch is crumbly since it lacks protein I think.

Sorry, I am bad with using measurements. I might make some but wihtout potato starch since I'm not making my own starch and DH won't eat from the store.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 4:54 pm
OK, can't vouch 100% that I'm remembering the measures exactly right because I haven't taken out my Pesach recipes yet this year, but these are darn good (assuming it's right...)

1. Dissolve 8 tablespoons of potato starch in 1 cup (?) of water.
2. Beat 12 eggs. You want them mixed very well but not frothy and not too bubbly, so use a low setting or a hand beater.
3. Combine potato starch and eggs plus 1 tsp salt (? - adjust if needed I guess). Mix well.
4. grease a pan (like rub an oily paper towel on it - don't pour oil, you want it to be unsticky but not pooling) and heat it very well. (If you start the eggs and it's not hot enough, you will be able to tell and just let it heat more before continuing)
5. Ladle some egg mixture into the pan, swirl it around to coat the bottom, and pour the rest back in the bowl (If the temperature is right, a thin layer of egg sticks to the pan). Wait about half a minute to a minute, then peel the egg off the pan and flip it (wear rubber gloves so you don't burn yourself, use a knife or something to start off the peeling at the side you poured from). Wait another half a minute and remove from pan. Should be soft and moist but not too sticky (sticky = raw plus messy). Repeat, stirring egg mixture often to keep it from separating.
6. Eat the mistakes (usually happens if pan is not hot enough or you didn't wait long enough to flip). This is the important part.
7. Let the eggs cool. Stack about 3-4 together on a cutting board. Roll them up and slice across the roll. Repeat.
8. Fluff up all your little rolls until they unwind and separate into noodles. (good job for little kids with clean hands)

Shendellah

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 5:00 pm
Wow! What a cool recipe!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 10:47 pm
Here's our family's recipe which keeps getting passed down.

4 eggs
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt

Place eggs in a container with a cover. Cover tighly and shake well. Set aside.
Dissolve potato starch in water. Mix well with fork to dissolve properly.
Add dissolved potato starch to egg container. Add salt. Cover and shake well.
Make crepes in 2 frying pans simultaneously.

When they are all ready, roll each one up. Slice thinly.

(We keep making preparing more of this small recipe as we fry the crepes.)

These are so yummy, by the time they are ready, only half of the crepes are left to be sliced for noodles (the rest gets eaten and noshed on while they are being made.)

mandksima

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 2:42 am
Do you eat these only in soup or can you add tomato sauce and cheeses for a baked ziti kind of thing?

skinny

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:05 am
CAN YOU FREEZE PESACH NOODLES? DID ANYONE EVER TRY? I WANT TO MAKE THEM TODAY

Mina

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:20 am
I always freeze my pesach noodles. they come out delicous!! I wrap them tightly in silver foil and than
put it into a plastic bag. you cant tell their from the freezer!!!

8mom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:26 am
Do you freeze them cut up or do you just freeze the crepes? Also does your recipe have potato flour in or is it just eggs and does this make a difference when you freeze them?

skinny

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:34 am
THANKS

Mina

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:46 am
I cut them up and freeze them.My recipe is very similar to ramom's. Ramom your recipe looks better then mine. I will try it today IH.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 10:58 am
Can these noodles be used to serve with tomato sauce and meatballs OR cheese, "mac" n cheese?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 11:21 am
mandksima wrote:
Do you eat these only in soup or can you add tomato sauce and cheeses for a baked ziti kind of thing?
You can definitely try them with tomato sauce and cheese. Should be good.
Think of the dish as eggs, tomato sauce and cheese.
The noodles are like the crepes that potato blintzes are wrapped in, but thicker and tastier, and then they are sliced.

skinny wrote:
CAN YOU FREEZE PESACH NOODLES? DID ANYONE EVER TRY? I WANT TO MAKE THEM TODAY

Yes. I freeze them on Erev Yom Tov. There's nothing like eating these fresh out of the pan, but they taste very good after being frozen.

UKmum wrote:
Do you freeze them cut up or do you just freeze the crepes? Also does your recipe have potato flour in or is it just eggs and does this make a difference when you freeze them?

I freeze them rolled up tightly. I slice them after they are defrosted (they look like tiny rolled up pieces once sliced), before I am ready to serve them.

Chocoholic wrote:
Can these noodles be used to serve with tomato sauce and meatballs OR cheese, "mac" n cheese?

Yes.
But think of them as eggs with tomato sauce, eggs with meatballs, eggs with cheese. They will not taste like noodles, but they will taste very good.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Aug 31 2018, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 1:14 pm
Never tried freezing. We always have ours with meatballs and sauce as well as in soup, mmmmmm!

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 12:31 am
Oops, sorry - my recipe calls for 2/3 c water, not a whole cup. Probably could be OK either way, just wanted to set the record straight. So it's:

12 eggs + 1 tsp salt
2/3 c water + 8 Tbsp potato starch

Mishie

Post Thu, Apr 01 2010, 1:28 am
Best Noodle Recipe ever!!! (My Mom's)

3 Eggs
1/3 cup Potato Starch
1 cup Water
Salt & Pepper

Mix well, and continue mixing every few minutes while you're making the noodles, as the starch tends to "sink" to the bottom of the bowl.

p.s. you can add dill (chopped) to the mixture. It adds a lot of flavor, and gives it a nice color.

Mevater

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 12:42 pm
Im looking at the two highly recommended recipes for blintz-leaves/noodles above and see quite a difference in the ingredient quantities.

Recipe 1:

4 eggs
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt

Recipe 2:

3 Eggs
1/3 cup Potato Starch
1 cup Water
Salt & Pepper

Recipe 2 has close to double the water, for less eggs and potato starch. Whats the difference in the resulting texture? Anyone has any ideas?
TIA

Pineapple

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 1:01 pm
I use less starch then the recipe says I prefer more eggs

SS6099

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 1:19 pm
I've been making them for years and I find that with more eggs and less starch, it spreads and mixes better.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 3:26 pm
Mina wrote:
I always freeze my pesach noodles. they come out delicous!! I wrap them tightly in silver foil and than
put it into a plastic bag. you cant tell their from the freezer!!!

same here
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics