Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Not Eating Roasted Meat at the Seder?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:15 pm
I have made Seder many times, dh taught me how to roast a lamb deliciously.
a friend told me tonight that you are not allowed to eat any meat or chicken that was cooked uncovered in the oven. this is teh first I heard of this. I looked it up and read that she is right. but I am wondering,
how common knowledge is this? what can I do with lamb? (we make it with spinach)

PIP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:20 pm
We don't eat it either. I think the second night we do though.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:22 pm
Sfardim. Eat. Roasted. Meat. Especially. Lamb. For. The. Seder. Are you Sfardi?

Ashkenazim don't. But meat should be considered what comes from a four legged animal, not fowl. So I have been taught. Also, roasting is NOT the same as baking. When you make a chicken, up to a certain temp. it's baked so there is no issue of roasting even if you include fowl in the rule.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:28 pm
we are sefardi, and dh has always had lamb at pesach. he doesnt come from a frum home. I dont either, so I dont know these kinds of laws (and im ashkenazi).
so if we cook the lamb in the oven at a higher temp than its ok? halachikly? we are planning on having the lamb at seder. my friend told me that she and other guests, will not eat it. (they are ashkenazi women also married to sefardi men). the other guest is the one who told me. if this is halacha, then obviously I dont want to break it. I just know that dh looks forward to seder for the lamb.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:32 pm
we eat chicken and we don't eat it baked/roasted until after korech at the 2nd seder.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:36 pm
With all due respect, please call YOUR RAV and ask him what to do.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:37 pm
can you somehow cook lamb covered in the oven? (I know nothing about cooking lamb...sorry)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:40 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
With all due respect, please call YOUR RAV and ask him what to do.

Thumbs Up

Having heard a rav recently trust me, even if he can't cook he'll have a handle on this. Along with some solid suggestions for your entrees.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
we are sefardi, and dh has always had lamb at pesach. he doesnt come from a frum home. I dont either, so I dont know these kinds of laws (and im ashkenazi).
so if we cook the lamb in the oven at a higher temp than its ok? halachikly? we are planning on having the lamb at seder. my friend told me that she and other guests, will not eat it. (they are ashkenazi women also married to sefardi men). the other guest is the one who told me. if this is halacha, then obviously I dont want to break it. I just know that dh looks forward to seder for the lamb.
Your sfardi Rav will tell you the Sfardi minhag. Your Ashkenazi Rav will tell you the Ashkenazi minhag. You get to choose!

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:45 pm
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
Your sfardi Rav will tell you the Sfardi minhag. Your Ashkenazi Rav will tell you the Ashkenazi minhag. You get to choose!

If you go to your rav and he's an expert rav, and you tell him your dh is this and you grew up that, he will be able to give you the correct answer for you at best, and at worst, he will have the name of the right rav for you to call.

GetReal

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 5:45 pm
This is mentioned in the Shulchan Aruch. See http://www.chabad.org/664419 . And yes, calling your rav is a good idea.

Rodent

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 11:18 pm
Sepharadim eat roasted (even considered a good thing to many), Ashkenazim don't (though many I know will have chicken, just not red meat).

I don't see the problem in this scenario though. All the women involved were raised ashkenazi. All are married to sepharadi men. When you marry you take on the husband's minhagim, especially when there is a conflict. I have issues with women who do this, yes it may have been forbidden to them previously but I don't like the implication of keeping things because they are 'stricter' in some sense implying it being a better thing to do than follow their husband's tradition.

Personally in this particular situation I wouldn't be adjusting anything, if they don't eat it's their own problem. They are not forbidden to eat it at all. If you're not being as stubborn as me maybe have a selection of meat, half lamb and half something else (chicken in sauce or something). Rambam says you're supposed to have 2 meats anyway Wink

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:45 am
I would also make some chicken for your guests. My chabad rav told me its ok to bake chicken if its in some sauce - I use a sauce that includes water. (my recipe is sliced onions, and a mixture of oj, lemon juice, wine (I think?) and water, poured over chicken and baked uncovered.

you can also make lamb not roasted eg braised but you might want to use a different cut for it.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 5:56 am
Sfardim davka eat roasted lamb at the seder. Your friend must be Ashkenazi.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 23 2010, 8:30 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:

If you go to your rav and he's an expert rav, and you tell him your dh is this and you grew up that, he will be able to give you the correct answer for you at best, and at worst, he will have the name of the right rav for you to call.

Thumbs Up

Btw my dh is Ashkenazi and his tradition is to eat a roast but not lamb, so no generalization.

ICTH

Post Wed, Mar 24 2010, 12:29 am
Don't quote me on this one, but I think that if you just put in a splash of water then it's not considered roasting.

Something else to ask to the Rov (would it be ok if I added a Tbs of water...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics