Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Giving tzedaka to people on the street
1  2  Next

happy2beme

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 12:41 pm
Many times, people stop me on the street & ask for tzedaka. Recently, which is what prompted this question, I gave someone (who looked jewish) & then they yelled "G-d bless u". I was really confused. the whole time I was trying to figure out- so was she jewish or not??

Are you supposed to give money to e/o who asks?
Anyone on the street even if you don't know if they're really poor or jewish? do you have to ask to see a letter from a rav (awkward & time consuming)?

Or are you just supposed to give because jews are supposed to be gomlei chassadim & it's a kiddush hashem??

chen

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 12:59 pm
happy2beme wrote:
they yelled "G-d bless u". I was really confused. the whole time I was trying to figure out- so was she jewish or not??

"G-d bless you" is a term nonjews also use, so that's no indication. Now if she had said "tizki lemitzvos" that would be a pretty good clue. (though not absolute proof. the nonjewish groundskeeper and groundskeeper's assistant in my childrne's yeshiva both answer "boruch hashem" when you ask them "how are you"! LOL )

happy2beme

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:21 pm
Quote:
tizki lemitzvos" that would be a pretty good clue

exactly what I was expecting, so when I heard g-d, I was like, huh?

what are the laws of tzedaka? are you allowed to give to anyone or have to make sure it's a worthy cause?

mumsy23

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:27 pm
There is an inyan of giving something to anybody who asks. Not for them, but for you - when an ani(poor person) asks for money and you just walk by, you are developing in yourself a bad middah (heardening your heart) and that is not good.

Also, the mitzvah of tzedaka can apply to anyone, you don't have to have proof that they are a REAL ani. The proof comes in on things that are a mitzvah to give tzedaka to aniim - like on purim - then you have to make sure the recipient is a true ani.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:32 pm
In the book The Tzedukah Treasury, by Rabbi Avrohom Chaim Feurer, people who collect on the street from the general population need not be given a large donation. A small coin will do.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:04 pm
yes, but I would feel like I'm insulting the person by giving them coins , no?
Quote:
The proof comes in on things that are a mitzvah to give tzedaka to aniim - like on purim - then you have to make sure the recipient is a true ani.

What? I thought purim u have to give to a/o who asks!!??!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 12:56 pm
Read the sefer. Because walking down a street full of beggars could be a costly venture if you were to give generously to each one, you are permitted to give small coins. It also depends on the circumstances. I like to give a little more to the ladies that sit by the side of the kotel and collect but men who beg passerbys on the street I don't feel that I have to give as much to. They are hitting up everyone.
That is a different form of tzedukah than a close friend or neighbor who must confide and depend on you. Beggers have made their situation no longer a secret so you need not worry about insulting them.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 1:00 pm
I used to give to every beggar from 1 to 2 dollars, unless my wallet was empty. That's something I learned from my mother. Now I also follow my dad's advice to see if the guy is drunk or not, because giving him money to kill himself isn't good.

elkayed

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 1:00 pm
I used to give everyone who asked because im sure its harder to accept than to give..but then ppl were saying alot of them were frauds and its an easy way to make cash..now I just tell ppl I dont have cash..but I usually feel badly. If I see the same person over and over and know they are really in need I give. In our town some meshulachim have cars and you find them all over town asking you again and again!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 8:14 pm
Dh always gives because he is wearing a Kippah and it could be a chillul Hashem - not worth it for the $1.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 9:20 pm
DH always gives to people on the street. There are a lot in the area where he works (downtown).

The small Jewish community here is pretty affluent and is in the suburbs, so imagine DH's surprise when a "bum" approached him asking for tzedaka and saying Shalom alechem!

Another time, there was a guy standing at an intersection asking for money. DH gave him $20 and the guy stood there holding it for a few moments, looking at it in disbelief, then tucked his sign under his arm and took off (finished his work for the evening?).

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 20 2006, 1:46 pm
if you live in crown heights (or boro park) you can be bombarded by tzedaka people as you walk down the street with every step you take.
am I supposed to give to every single one, every single day, when I walk down Kingston Ave?
(and these people are not locals, they come every day from surrounding neighborhoods. ive seen them take taxis home shock )

and thats not counting the ones in 770!

does anyone give every single time they are asked?

supermom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 5:10 am
southernbubby wrote:
I like to give a little more to the ladies that sit by the side of the kotel and collect

Hmm that I wouldn't do, the ones at the kotel are pretty rude too. People would be davening shemona esrei and they would be bugging them for money how much ruder can a person get?!?!?

And a lot of them don't either need the money it is quick money especially from all those tourist that have money from shliach mitzva and don't know what to do with it. I was always warned from the israeli's not to give non of them money especially the ones that are rude to ask you at the wrong times.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 10:06 am
In Williamsburg on Lee Ave. it's gonna take you twice the time to walk down the Ave. It is full of tzedaka ladies and beggars especially before a yom tov. I give coins. I wish that I'd be able to give them all $1 but I can't afford that and I'm not always sure if it's a yid or not. Of course I give to non-jews too, on the train or wherever but I wouldn't give them $1 each because that little many I have to give I'd want to give first to Jewish needy people.
I once read the Halachas of the order of giving tzedakah I don't remember clearly but I think this is how it went.
First-Family Members
Second-Neighbors
Third-People in your community
Fourth-Needy Jews in Eretz Yisroel
Fifth-Needy Jews in Chutz L'aretz
Sixth-Non-Jews (to make a kiddush Hashem).

amother

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 10:07 am
many was supposed to read money in my previous paragraph.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 10:10 am
I'm almost sure I left out a few. I don't know where Hachnasos Kallah came in the order but somewhere. I just wrote what I remmebered approximately. Please make sure to check up on oit if you're interested to know more abuot Halachos of Tzedaka as mine is not very accurate.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 9:07 am
I got yelled at by a street collecter in BP. She was really rude, yelling at me that she has soo much tzoros and I am not a good person. I was really scared that her hakpoda will harm .

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 9:22 am
If her ill wishes could really cause harm, she would have harmed lots of people that day. I don't think that very many people turn their wallets inside out for street collectors. Some of these people are unfortunely mentally ill and as it has been said on this site before, mental illness obscures boundaries. There are those people who feel that every American Jew is rich and stingy. If you gave her even a small amount, Hashem will protect you because you did the mitzvah. If you had no money or needed every penny that you had, Hashem will still protect you! Very Happy

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:00 pm
supermom wrote:
southernbubby wrote:
I like to give a little more to the ladies that sit by the side of the kotel and collect

Hmm that I wouldn't do, the ones at the kotel are pretty rude too.

I live in Israel so most people who ask on the street at least I know that they are Jewish ('cept at the kotel there are some Arabs). I have heard from numerous rabbanim that one should not give a lot of money to those that don't have a reputable teudah and/or those just "on the street." However, I do try to always give every person that comes to my door or that I meet on the street. I do not generally look at their teudos, etc. I give a very small amount, a shekel or a couple (depending on how much change I have). I once wasn't even going to give someone but there was a man in a car collecting for a child for an operation in chutz La'aretz (I was on the sidewalk and he was driving). My 4 year old son was like "ema give me money." I was going to give only a shekel, but he felt I needed to give more...go figure.

Anyway, the reason I give even though I myself do not have all that much is because I want Hashem to give to me without questioning, without looking at my credentials.

As far as the women at the kotel, some are truly tzidkaniot...collecting for hachnasas kallah and just always doing mitzvos. Some could very well be arabs. I tend to prefer to give to those who give me lots of brachos. I will even sometimes ask some of them for brachos even if I don't give them any money bec. I want their brachos, because they are truly the tzidkanios of today. And as for Arabs, pay attention to how they talk. And, I am getting better and better at telling by looking at their eyes.

As for in America, I don't know what I would do, though I gather I wouldn't give to anyone on drugs (again, look at the eyes)...I might give them some food if they accept it. Though, I would be pretty scared of those types of people. I think I would stick with the food. But, if they are collecting for an organization (like for Breast Cancer), I always tried to give to make a kiddush Hashem like a dollar or something. (didn't want to make a chillul hashem or anything.) Otherwise, the frum yidden need the money so much....if you need a place to send, you can pm me, and I will give you a list of both in America and israel!!

give most of your money to organizations...and research the organization too before you give (some have large overhead costs, while others have none.)

amother

Post Tue, Jul 11 2006, 7:55 pm
My son is very young and is visiting Isreal

sadl y lots of beggers aproach him

and his american friends .

he does not like it Crying
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics