Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
P'chah
1  2  Next

Vote:
Love it!  
 17%  [ 4 ]
Hate it!  
 82%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 23

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:28 pm
Ya either gotta love it or hate it.

miriam

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:33 pm
Uhm, what is it?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:38 pm
LOL!!!!!!!!!

Salty jello! Fleishig, made with bones and meat. It's a real delicacy and quite a potchke to make.

batya_d

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 1:41 pm
Also called by some "Galareta"

My shul serves it at very special kiddushes. Confused

Imhappy!

you mean galah or galah retah right?

my daughter loves it!! she calls it JELLO!!

southernbubby

Oh no, now you have got me started. Pchah is made of feet, either of a chicken or a cow's hoof. The feet are boiled until a gelatin forms and then this gelatin is mixed with spices and garlic and possibly chopped eggs. This stuff is greasy and gritty. It is eaten on Shabbos day because even our feet are elevated.
Personally I use it as a threat to children who misbehave when I substitute. When the children hear me coming, they bang on their desks and chant "we want p'chah". Their mothers told me that I didn't really spoil their appetite for it because the mothers don't like it either. (The kids know that I did not really bring p'chah).

chen

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:00 pm
calves' foot jelly, more or less--a jelly made by boiling (usually) beef bones in water with garlic. basically, garlic-flavored gelatin, often made very concentrated and cut into blocks like KNOX Blox and served as a delicacy at simchas.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:13 pm
Maybe pchah is the russian word. sorry.

preggymama

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:23 pm
What about an option for those of us who are too grossed out to even taste it ...

Secbeb

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:38 pm
preggymama wrote:
What about an option for those of us who are too grossed out to even taste it ...

Agree here. I can't even stand the gel that ends up from gefilte fish. Ichhhh, the thought of these (imho) disgusting dishes gives me the heebie jeebies. I guess when you had to use the entire cow, you had to be creative, but thank G-d we live in better times. . .

shayna82

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:39 pm
lol

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:41 pm
I hate it but my parents love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicole81

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:44 pm
ughh I put hate it because I'm so disgusted by the thought of it, I would hate to put it into my body.

dh LOVES it, and if I'm feeling nice, I might make it as a treat. anyone ever use the spice and spirit recipe for it?

roza

Post Fri, Jun 16 2006, 2:51 pm
SaraG wrote:
Maybe pchah is the russian word. sorry.

nah, don't know this word, but I like that dish, we call it cholodetz or studel

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 5:38 am
Yum, yum, yum!!! Ptcha/galareta is one of my favorite foods, at least the way my mother makes it. (Most caterers' ptcha is no good.) We use beef knee bones (not foot bones). It's not such a patchke, but it takes a long time - you have to cook the bones for hours (with s&p and paprike) till they fall apart, you remove the meat and cartilage from the bones, grind it together with garlic and return it to the liquid in which the bones cook, pour it into pans, refrigerate and voila! A delicacy!

Chicken ptcha, on the other hand...yeccchhh.

elkayed

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 9:42 pm
My rule is if it jiggles and shakes - stay far away...same reason I dont eat yogurt, jello, puddings...I don't even push my kids to eat them if I can barely serve it to them!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 9:52 pm
I remember reading the recipe for it in Spice and Spirit as a kid and being completely repulsed. I would love to try it (out of curiousity), but know that I would totally gag and barf it up. The congealed fat on cold chicken grosses me out - no way a dish that IS conjealed fat would find its way down my gullet!!!!!

queen

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 10:57 pm
My grandmother used to make it........ but we were told it was made up of elephant hooves Twisted Evil

cindy324

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 11:03 pm
Daoes it taste anything like the jelly from white fish? I like that. It's the best with challa.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 20 2006, 4:39 am
DefyGravity wrote:
no way a dish that IS conjealed fat would find its way down my gullet!!!!!

It is not congealed fat, in fact it doesn't have much fat in it at all - any fat rises to the surface and is easily removed before serving or eating. It is actually the same stuff that congeals jello, I.e. the ligaments and marrow of the bones. Gelatin, after all, is ground-up bones, ptcha is cooked bones. Same thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen