Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nebulizer for wheezing 6 mo old

amother

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:47 pm
My DD's on 1/2 of an albuterol, 3x a day for 3 days. She's pushing away the mask, screaming so her nose runs & then coughs up a storm. And to boot, she's scared of the noise of the nebulizer and keeps turning to find it, even though I tried to put it further away so it's not so noisy.
Any tips?

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:21 pm
When DS#2 was tiny he would accept the mask when he had his dummy. Now, of course, he's dummy-less, so that's not an option. Doctor actually told us to let him scream; the extra deep inhalations make the meds work better.

pecan

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:52 pm
My daughter used to also scream. One of us would try to play and distract her with toys, while the other one held the mask over her nose. It was hard.

Bliss

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 12:23 am
I would suggest not using the mask, much more comfortable. Use the other part and hold it upright, chest level. Hold the baby on your laps and try to distract her with some toys or other things. Follow her while she tries to avoid the vapor but it's nothing if not every bit goes into her. And the coughing is not a problem, it usually happens as a result.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 1:05 am
Thanks everyone - very informative!

Marion - I wish she took her pacifier, but she only took it begrudgingly till now, and before she started antibiotics for her ear infection (Sunday), she refused to take it at all...and won't take it now either, no matter how hard I try.

Pecan & Lavendar - I tried the nozzle without the mask last time while I was nursing her, didn't work so great, but at least no screaming. I'll try her sitting up on my lap like you suggested next time. I know the coughing is good for her, but the screaming & nose running, that's hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics