Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
3 month old - NO sleeping at night, help!!!!!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 1:57 pm
3 month old does not sleep at night. She wakes up almost every hour and only goes to "sleep" at 12 a.m. She naps during the day but never more than 3 hours. She eats every 3 hours but at night, she just thrashes about and cries until she's rocked back to sleep (until the next hour of waking up!) Her longest stretch of sleep is about 3 hours but it's not often. I've tried letting her cry but she will scream endlessly (I think she's too young to furberize). HELP! Mommy is exhausted and not functioning at work. I've tried baby whisperer and other books to no avail. Also, I know she will sleep better on tummy but it's against the dr's advice. SO! wwyd??! Any advice from experienced mommies is VERY much appreciated.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 2:42 pm
did you try letting her fall asleep on her tummy (under your supervision) & then flipping her when she's asleep. I've done that for a couple of mine. I've also put babies to sleep in the swing, baby carrier, car, whatever it takes. sometimes a cradle or bassinet stroller work too. those work sometimes, but pretty often end up co-sleeping & letting them nurse themselves to sleep. sanity is crucial for the newborn months.

also, is your baby cranky during the day? I know my babies are cranky because they have reflux & are in pain. I know the signs & medicate them when necessary.

Plonis

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 3:14 pm
Some tips:

- Read The No Cry Sleep Solution for practical tips that work for young babies and won't destroy your life

First of all, babies don't sleep so deeply. They move around when they sleep, and make noises. They usually fall back asleep on their own, but tend not to if things feel "different." So if they always nurse to sleep, they can't fall BACK asleep unless they nurse again. What you need to accomplish is a) to put baby into "sleep mode," and b) to teach her that she doesn't need to nurse to fall asleep.
  • Make a nighttime routine - I.e. pajamas, lights off, singing, rocking, nursing, Shema
  • * Try not to nurse baby fully to sleep - nurse until ALMOST asleep (sucking slows down), break the suction. If baby tries to latch back on, let her; but repeat, repeat, repeat until she falls asleep on her own. This will take a few tries probably, but it's very worth it. Within a week to 6 weeks, she will probably be sleeping significantly longer stretches.
  • Ignore nighttime noises UNLESS you're sure she's actually waking up. Sometimes well-meaning mommies wake their babies up by going to them every time they moan in their sleep.

- Try swaddling her

- If she can pick her head up, I would put her to sleep on her tummy unless your doctor has a concern specific to your child (I did so with all of mine)

amother

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 3:23 pm
Thanks for the replies. Baby hates being swaddled so doctor said not to force her. She likes to suck her fingers. We have tried car rides, the car seat, stroller - everything. She doesn't even fall asleep nursing! Is there such a thing as just some babies just don't sleep??!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics