Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much do you earn?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 11:14 am
Hello . I am working at the same place for 7 years now. and I feel like I deserve a raise. I have no idea what the going rate is today.
can you please help me.. (post annonymously) and write a short description of your work/job and how much you earn.
thank you so much for your help

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 11:31 am
AFAIK, most places don't wait SEVEN years to give some type of raise unless they know that they can get away with it. For example, they know you'll keep working there without asking for a raise. OR they feel as if you are expendable, and know that they don't need to offer more salary, b/c they can always find someone else to do the same job at the same price.

You need to give more details, are you in a position that requires extensive training? What's your job description?

I'm personally not going to say what I make, anonymous or not, but if you let us know what your job is, maybe some women here have an idea of what you're supposed to be paid.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 12:34 pm
yeash. I don't tell private things to an anonymous poster.

you can PM me if you really need to know.

chen

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 12:50 pm
how can anyone tell you the going rate if you don't say what you do? a neurosurgeon does not earn the same as a librarian does not earn the same as a supermarket cashier.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 1:44 pm
good point...
a bit more about my job...
no major proffession involved.
I do office work. basicly accounts payable, website managing, keeping all truck papers in order (takes more effert than u think) and a lot more that I don't want write b/c you will know were I work.
I am a very devoted worker and the trouble is that I get paid per hour meaning I do not get paid over holidays or sick days.
I want to ask for a raise I have a list of accomplishments that I did for hte company I just need to know what the going price is.
I would very much appreciate $ amount ... thanks for your input... Smile

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 2:02 pm
Do you get paid cash, under the table, or do you pay taxes on your income?

nicole81

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 2:05 pm
do you work in a major city? that also makes a difference.

I know in my place, for the hourly workers, the typical raise is about $1/hr every 6 months for the first 18 months or so, then $1.50/yr thereafter. so after 7 years, that sounds like approximately $11/hr worth of raises. I doubt they would give you even close to that, if they are the type to take advantage and not even offer a raise after so long.

when asking for a raise, if they don't want to give the amount you want, you can also try bargaining for paid sick and vacation time to make the offer more attractive.

and I think given the responsibilities you list, you can start in a brand new job and make anywhere from $12-20/hr. there's quite a range, depending on who you work for.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 2:20 pm
I work in the metro ny area. and I get paid a regular check and I pay my taxed big time Confused

amother

Post Mon, Jun 19 2006, 2:24 pm
posting anonymously b/c I don't feel comfy having people know how much I earn. I make $20 per hour. come home with about $400 a week. take off from that the taxes....!! good luck in getting a raise.
I think the going price for a working working in a place 7 years is $500+. you have to know your worth. I might be wrong though.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:52 am
I work part-time an have a professional qualification
I live in an expensive city an wages reflect that
I always ask for a bit more than I think the employer will give me so they will negotiate me down to a wage I will accept
I asked for $27 p/hour, he agreed on $21.50 with a possible increase to $24 after a certain amount of time

amother

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:32 pm
$60 per hour.

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 7:18 pm
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of work do you do $60 amother?

Newlywed

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 1:47 pm
I work as an exec assistant for a Real Estate office. I work for the owner, so I take all his calls, do all his scheduling as well as A/R and A/P for the company, bookkeeping, commissions - everythign, basicaly!

I've been at the same job for 1.5 years now. I started at $13/hour but got an immediate raise after 1 month to $15/hour.

(my boss started me at $13 just to make sure I'd 'catch on' and do well)

I have never gotten a raise since I started here, although I recently requested one!! (iy'h I'll get it!!) I requested a $2/hr raise.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 1:17 am
At one point was making $80 an hr. as a consultant for a company that had laid me off, but then realized they still needed my help Smile

(Computer work)

amother

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 2:12 am
The general rule of thumb is that raises are given in percentages, I.e. my company give a 2% raise per year - not including bonuses. Also, discreetly ask other employees what - if any - kind of raises they have gotten. If everyone has gotten raises while you have not it's time to say adios. With the description that you have given, and having worked at one job for seven years you should be able to get a decent job elsewhere.

Two other pieces of (unasked for) advice. When asking for a raise list all of your responsibilities as well as any accomplishments (did you save the company a lot of money? that is usually a big deal) so that they know that you are worth the raise. Also, do not threaten to leave the job if you don't get the raise. Burning bridges is the worst way to leave!!

withhumor

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 3:11 pm
The current going rate for the heimisha industry is $10 - $12 per hour for a secretary that knows what she/he is doing. For the ones that are really valuable, the bosses try to pay a flat rate, proving that they trust the work will be done. $500 is a very nice amount. I agree, it’s not a lot for someone to sit all day in your office and practically run the place, but that is surely what everyone seems to be making.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 3:55 pm
Anyone here? How much does Jewish lower grade / preschool teacher get after 4 plus yeatrs woking. 9:00-1:00 mond/fridey in ashmall out townish place

Estee2

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 4:08 pm
How about $1500/mo. before taxes ??
As main teacher (for 15 students)

Just my opinion.

Are you the only teacher ?
How many students ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics