Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Kids crying, holding their breath and passing out

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 9:07 pm
Anyone else's kids do this?

My 21 month old started doing it regularly at 7 months old. Usually he wakes up right away- I blow in his face, or wash his face, or scream at him and he wakes up. Today he stayed out for a few seconds and didn't wake up until I was on my way to call Hatzalah. It was very scary, but he was fine, B"H. It took him a while to get back his coloring and become active again, though.

6coop

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 9:34 pm
My ds did that occasionally when he was younger (although not as young as your dd). Once when he passed out he wet himself so I was really worried, but the doctor said he was okay. B"h he outgrew them but I remember when I first told his doctor about them he ran bloodwork. I honestly don't remember what the bloodwork was looking for, but ask your doctor if there's anything to check for. I do remember my doctor saying that when he passed out I shouldn't do anything to him, but to just let him wake up on his own.

malky800

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 9:42 pm
If it's been for so long speak to your dr. about it.
When I spoke to my dr, he said the kid would pass out and shouldn't do it that much longer. kind of like the body getting scared of it.
I don't agree with him, becuase I had a niece also who did it for a long time.

Pickle Lady

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 9:55 pm
My son does and hes 26 months old now and he has been doing it since it was about a year old. I just make sure when he passes out that he doesn't fall and hurt himself and that nothing is over his face.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 5:20 am
He definitely passes out less often now than he used to- it used to be about once a week. He passed out on Chanuka and only once more between then and Pesach. But not he's done it 3 times since the last day of Pesach. I don't know why he's doing it more now. We did take him to a neurologist in the beginning to check for seizures. B"H, it's not seizures. If he continues with these weekly episodes, I'll ask the doctor what to do.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 6:26 pm
My cousin used to do this, it was pretty scary the first time I saw it.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 7:30 pm
My son does it too. He started doing it as an infant when he was only a few months old. Now he's 32 months and still does it but much less often. He used to do it several times a week (sometimes even more than once a day) now it's only every so often. I also find that it happens now only when he's overtired.

I do pretty much what you do - blow in the face, cold water, ice on the soles of the feet... Sometimes it works sometimes it takes longer for him to come to. Whenever somebody witnesses it they panic since it looks terribly scary. With his eyes rolling and becoming limp... I'm so calm about it by now.

My son's ped says to just leave him on the floor and he'll wake up on his own. By giving him the attention you are only enforcing this behavioral problem. But, he told me, no Jewish mother can really do that , but I'm telling you what the best way to deal with it is!

(Once I was in the bathroom and my son and his brother were fighting over a toy. Of course my son started screaming and crying and holding his breath and then I heard a thump and knew that he passed out. But I couldn't do anything I was (excuse me) taking care of my business... By the time I got to him he was just about waking up.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 8:08 pm
I do not believe that this is a behavior issue. I remember crying as a kid and holding my breath. I did not do it intentionally, I just couldn't catch my breath! My mother would yell at me, "Breathe, breathe" and I tried, but I couldn't. It took me a few seconds to catch my breath. But I never passed out like ds does.

mamadina

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 9:26 pm
all 3 of my children held their breath and passed out when they got hurt, They outgrew it at about 2 yrs.... pretty scary when its happening!

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2010, 10:21 pm
I had a son that did that and it started when he was only a few months old. Talk about scary.

6coop

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 5:01 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I do not believe that this is a behavior issue. I remember crying as a kid and holding my breath. I did not do it intentionally, I just couldn't catch my breath! My mother would yell at me, "Breathe, breathe" and I tried, but I couldn't. It took me a few seconds to catch my breath. But I never passed out like ds does.

I'm sure that it doesn't start as a behavior issue, but anytime a behavior is reinforced (here it's reinforced by getting attention), that behavior will continue or increase. It ceratinly won't hurt to try to act nonchalant whenever it happens.

Israeli Mother

Post Mon, Apr 19 2010, 1:05 pm
My brother used to do this when he was a little kid.

He is now 47 years old and has long outgrown it. Wink

Don't worry about it overly much; I agree with the person who said be nonchalant about it and don't just give in to him in fear that he will scream and pass out. He will outgrow this stage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics