Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is melatonin only for hard to fall asleep?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 7:44 pm
My 2 1/2 yr old has trouble staying asleep. He wakes up appx. 100 times in middle of the night. He maybe slept straight through the night 20 times since he was born. He also doesn't go to sleep very well, but that's because he keeps on getting out of bed Rolling Eyes .

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 9:43 pm
I would not give it to a 2 year old, who is doing what 2 year old's do. It is meant to aid in insomnia, and while it is natural, it can do strange things. People react differently to medications, and drugs that effect adults one way, effect children a different way.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:24 pm
it wont help him stay asleep. and it's not good to give for a child this young.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 10:26 pm
We used it for a bit. Did not help with the waking up during the night thing.
In either case we decided not to use it anymore as melatonin is actually a hormone.

shmoozer

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:08 pm
I find with my kids that if I put them in early, after a long bath, they sleep very well. the long warm bath tires them out, and then lets them eat a very full supper.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 11:11 pm
Ds is seven and still wakes up at least once a night. He slept through the night like twice in his life. He gets malatonim to help him fall asleep-works well for that. Doesn't work on the middle of the night wakings though. Think a behavior approach might work for him? Btw, glad to see you on the boards.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 7:15 am
Thanks, it really was just a last resort. If I let him into my bed, he kind of sleeps okay, but I'm due in 2 months b't, I want to get him out of that habit. I got him out of the habit of coming into my room, but for the past few nights, he's been waking up I'd say about 10 times a night. If I just put him back into "bed" he's fine until he wakes up again. I'm getting so frustrated. I quoted bed because he doesn't even want to sleep in his bed. He would rather sleep on the floor. Yesterday, I was so frustrated with him, I put him outside on the terrace and he fell asleep shock . I thought he was going to throw a fit, but he went gladly. I brought him back in after he fell asleep and put him on the floor on a tiny foam mattress and he stayed fine until he woke up about an hour or two after Exploding anger . It's not a behavior thing because otherwise he's pretty good bl"ah. He woke up this morning when I had to get up, so I told him to lay down in my bed and he's still sleeping. Anybody want him from 8pm until 7 am??????????????????????

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 7:25 am
Have you ever discussed this with his pediatrician? Have you ruled out medical conditions that could be waking him up? Does he have anxieties keeping him up?

Have you ever made him a chart for him, rewarding him for going back to sleep on his own? What about giving him some tools to help him fall back to sleep on his own: a little book light to read in bed for a few minutes, some sleep-time tapes to listen to on a walkman: nature sounds or Torah story tapes.

It seems so unhealthy for proper growth and development of a 2 y.o. child. They need a lot of sleep! I wouldn't give up, its pretty important for him to develop good sleep habits for dozens of reasons: overall good health, proper development, alertness and focus during the day, Shalom Bayis (so you and DH to have some privacy at night) etc...

(Edited b/c I misread the child's age in the orig. post)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics