Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher food in Davos, Switzerland summer 2010?

Levtov

Post Wed, Apr 21 2010, 6:11 pm
Anybody know if you can get kosher food in summer, after tisha b'av, in Davos, Switzerland?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:28 am
Dh says there is a kosher hotel, but that's it.

MimsCH

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:53 am
sure you can get kosher food! the non jewish shop sells all important kosher products during the whole summer....you can buy everything there, milk, gefillte fish, meat, chocolate, nosh etc.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:56 am
There's a kosher hotel there, I think it's called the Metropol. Or maybe that's in St. Moritz? Sorry, havent been to Switzerland in yeeeeaaars.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:57 am
MimsCH wrote:
sure you can get kosher food! the non jewish shop sells all important kosher products during the whole summer....you can buy everything there, milk, gefillte fish, meat, chocolate, nosh etc.

I didn't know there was a kosher aisle! Unless you mean hechsherless kosher, then yes for sure it's there (and all around).

chmom

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:09 pm
I'm not sure about the kosherhotel, wether it's operating or not, but here is the link to the IRGZ website with the list of kosher foods also in english (in Switzerland there are no hechsherim on the packaging, but the different kehillos bring out kosherlists regularly which are constantly updated). These foods can be purchased in all the major foodstore chains like "MIGROS" and "COOP" which are found in almost any town in Switzerland.
The IRGZ is the yekkishe chareidi kehilla in Zuerich.
http://www.irgz.ch/Koscherliste100307.pdf

lili

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 12:28 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
There's a kosher hotel there, I think it's called the Metropol. Or maybe that's in St. Moritz? Sorry, havent been to Switzerland in yeeeeaaars.

The Metropol is in Arosa, and AFAIK the hotel in St. Moritz closed down.

You can get loads of Kosher food in Davos in the local supermarkets and for the past 2 years there's been a restaurant / takeout over the summer. I assume they'll continue this year.

sarahd

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 1:04 pm
There's a supermarket in Davos called Eurospar, which has kosher food in the summer. The last few years, there's been either a restaurant or someone who sells kosher food before Shabbos, like kugels and the like.

(OT: The hotel in St. Moritz is supposed to be open this summer, I believe, and after that it will close down.)

Levtov

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 4:57 pm
Thanks, I will do my research and decide if we will go.

MimsCH

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 11:04 pm
PM for any info you need, I live in switzerland.

optimit

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 10:43 pm
http://www.icz.org/downloads/k.....9.pdf

This is the other kosher list for Switzerland.

MimsCH

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 2:29 am
please not that the above kosher list is from the liberale kehila.

sarahd

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 2:42 am
Not quite. The liberal kehila is Ohr Chadash. The ICZ is an Orthodox kehila, although most of its members are not observant. A lot of the information on the ICZ kosher list is taken from the IRG/AA list, but it does include many items that are a) not checked out by the Zurich rabbanim or b) not chalav Yisrael.

Someone who doesn't have a problem with chalav stam even though it's not accepted by most frum people in Switzerland can use that list to find chalav stam items in the supermarkets. Items on the list that were not checked out by the rabbanim are pretty clearly marked.

smilethere

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 3:28 am
Oy!!! the swiss bread.... heaven....

baba

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 4:19 am
AFAIK it's not that they're not checked out by rabanim, but just not by the Zurich rabbanut. For example they might add things from the kashrut list from Basel, which the IRGZ wont.

And FTR, the ICZ is completely orthodox, even if its members arent.

sarahd

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 4:57 am
Absolutely right on both points, baba, as I wrote above. Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 4:57 am
Well sarahd, if by frum you mean Zurich charedi, then yes most of them don't eat chalav stam. But if you mean stam frum... the huge majority have no problem at all. And even among those who don't eat it, it is said (by rabbanim) that there is definitely no problem, unless you want the chumra.

baba

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 5:12 am
sarahd wrote:
Absolutely right on both points, baba, as I wrote above. Smile

Haha, sorry, hope you dont feel I undermined you, I was just trying to clarify.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics