Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Fashion model size
1  2  3  Next

Nuts

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 6:13 pm
What is the ideal fashion model size these day? A 0 or 2? Or did the sizes go up already? Just wondering.

Chloe

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 6:16 pm
Nuts wrote:
What is the ideal fashion model size these day? A 0 or 2? Or did the sizes go up already? Just wondering.

I think only runway models need to be that skinny.

red sea

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 6:39 pm
I think its between a 0 and 8.

Nuts

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 7:34 pm
Isn't a size 8 a plus size model?

sky

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 8:06 pm
Taken from:
http://www.modelingadvice.com/......html

Mainstream range - 5'9" to 5'11" with outer fringe being 5'8" to 6" with the extremely rare exception down to 5'5" and as tall as 6'1". Thin - puts weight at 108 to 130lbs in proportional to height. This puts dress size 6-8 with the desired figure around 34B-24-34. This can range some but waist no larger the 25" and maximum hips 35 ½." Beginning models start modeling in the age range of 13-19 and if you have not made it by twenty it is over.

I think Chloe is right its the runway models that are that small.

heffer569

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 8:09 pm
sky wrote:
Taken from:
http://www.modelingadvice.com/......html

Mainstream range - 5'9" to 5'11" with outer fringe being 5'8" to 6" with the extremely rare exception down to 5'5" and as tall as 6'1". Thin - puts weight at 108 to 130lbs in proportional to height. This puts dress size 6-8 with the desired figure around 34B-24-34. This can range some but waist no larger the 25" and maximum hips 35 ½." Beginning models start modeling in the age range of 13-19 and if you have not made it by twenty it is over.

I think Chloe is right its the runway models that are that small.

K so something is weird with this cause I am only 5'4 I weigh closer to the higher than the lower pundage and Im a 0-2 so how can someone 5'8 that weighs 108 pds be a size 6 doesnt make sense her bmi is even below normal.

momsprince

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 9:08 pm
I'm 5'4, weigh 118 but am nowhere near a size 0-2

louche

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 9:48 pm
heffer569 wrote:

K so something is weird with this cause I am only 5'4 I weigh closer to the higher than the lower pundage and Im a 0-2 so how can someone 5'8 that weighs 108 pds be a size 6 doesnt make sense her bmi is even below normal.

all runway models--all of them--are clinically underweight, except maybe the plus-size models, all of whom look just fine to my benign eye. But the regular models all have bmis in the underweight range, some dangerously so. You're quite right, dress size 6-8 makes no sense at that height and weight, unless it's a UK 6-8 which is a USA 2-4. 24-inch waist corresponds to USA misses size 0, 25-inch to a size 2; 34-inch hip is a size 0, 35-1/2 is a size 4, and 34-inch bust is a size 4.

oh, and photography models are even more skeletal than runway models, b/c "the camera adds 5 lbs."

However, these "standard" sizes are not. Every manufacturer decides for itself what measurements it will call what size. Every single one--and some manufacturers have different standards for different lines, depending on the demographic they're targeting.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 9:23 am
Nuts wrote:
Isn't a size 8 a plus size model?

No, more like a 18

Even Kate Moss is not a size 0. I really don't get the size 0 obsession on Imamother.

red sea

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 11:48 am
Usually women who are 6 feet tall dont have the bone structure to wear a 0 even without 1 oz of fat on them.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 12:18 pm
I FULLY believe they should take away the woman sizes they currently have, and use the mens size definition. Every store literally has their own "version" or dress sizes. If they used the same system as mens clothing it would be a whole lot easier to shop. I hate this talk of clothing size women are always having. Comparing and/or bragging about a dress size is beyond juvenile.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 12:26 pm
There are clear criteria for women sizes. Just nowadays shops want to save on cloth so they do tiny tiny sizes and label them much bigger.

Nuts

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 12:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
There are clear criteria for women sizes. Just nowadays shops want to save on cloth so they do tiny tiny sizes and label them much bigger.

That doesn't make sense. Most women are not so tiny. Only if you're referring to knit clothing which runs very fitted.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 12:36 pm
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Most women are not so tiny. Only if you're referring to knit clothing which runs very fitted.

I never said anyone is tiny? I just say, when you buy a size Whatever, you may well be actually wearing a size Whatever - one size or two sizes or three sizes...

Nuts

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 12:49 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

I never said anyone is tiny? I just say, when you buy a size Whatever, you may well be actually wearing a size Whatever - one size or two sizes or three sizes...

Are you trying to say that ill end up buying a bigger size cuz the sizes run very small?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 12:54 pm
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Are you trying to say that ill end up buying a bigger size cuz the sizes run very small?

An example. I complained to my father that my engagement skirt was a size 44 (American 12). He said no way. I said it's written. He measured it, it was a size 40 (American 8).

Nuts

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 1:12 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

An example. I complained to my father that my engagement skirt was a size 44 (American 12). He said no way. I said it's written. He measured it, it was a size 40 (American 8).

I think there's also the opposite. They put smaller labels on bigger sizes to trick you and make you think you're a smaller size.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 1:14 pm
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Nuts wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

I think there's also the opposite. They put smaller labels on bigger sizes to trick you and make you think you're a smaller size.

I have never seen it.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 1:18 pm
In The US clothing sizes are a whole big mess. Most Americans are overweight so companies have designed their clothing like so. A skirt that is a size 6 today was a size 10 some years ago.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 1:46 pm
I've seen "plus size" models between sizes 12 - 16.

And yeah, it's not just the runway models. Look at many ads and these women don't seem attractive or healthy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics