Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Sleepwalking!! WTD??

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 6:16 am
My 6-year-old has started sleepwalking and I'm really freaked out -- one because she's never done this before, and two because we just moved into a 2-story apartment...we have baby gates up but I'm afraid we're going to forget to close them since said baby isn't crawling yet. She started talking in her sleep shortly after we made aliyah but last night was the first time she got out of bed -- we thought she was awake but didn't remember any of it this morning. Any ideas? TIA...

Mrs.K

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 6:30 am
We've got sleep talkers and walkers in this family.
The only thing I do is take precautions. Yes, you may forget about the gate, but DON'T. Remind yourself 5 times. Put a note next to your bed. Whatever it takes.

After finding out front door wide open at 3AM we no longer leave the key in the lock. Yes, it took getting used to because that's where it stays all day, but we need to be vigilant.

MamO3

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 6:36 am
Since you mentioned she's never done this before and she's had a big change in her life, I understand your concern. Maybe try talking to her about the new adjustments she's had to make. She might be worried or something may be bothering her.
On another note, usually sleepwalkers have no problem walking downstairs.

neverbored

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 6:45 am
I've got a sleepwalker and talker too. Actually, sometimes its really funny conversing with him when he walks out of his room while sleeping. As far as I can remember, he only attempted to walk out the front door once, and I happened to be sitting a couple of feet away. Didn't get beyond fiddling with the locks. Recently, he woke up and covered me in smooches. (He's a teenager) I have to admit, he made my night then. All the positive aside, It does sometimes worry me that he might hurt himself, but so far it has all been harmless. My brothers used to be sleepwalkers and talkers too and I remember using them and teasing them mercilessly.
I would use all precaution available like gates and extra locks on doors. Sleepwalkers may manage to open doors and learn to use the gates while sleepwalking anyways.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 8:58 am
Has she started eating more sugar later in the day? A friend of mine had this, reduced he child's sugar intake and the sleepwalking lessened.

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 9:17 am
Hmmm, not sure -- it's a big problem that I have no idea what kind of junk she eats in gan...

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 9:25 am
We've had sleepwalkers/talkers/night terrors. One of mine walked over to some boxes and was about to...well empty her bladder, lets be polite.

Actually that seemed to be the key with her...she would wake needing the bathroom, but not enough to wake completely and, well, would get things wrong.

Once, all over me in a room full of people...oh well!

Close and lock up places where your child can get hurt. If they are having a night terror just watch to make sure they are safe, but don't try and intervene. A sleepwalker can be taken gently back to bed, or even to the bathroom...while not the best for toilet training, sometimes, at least for mine, that was where the trouble lay.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:11 am
I had that too. she's 20 now. Just keep your ears open !

amother

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:53 am
One of my children sleep walks too.

I noticed that it is much worse when:
1. There is a stressful period - new baby/being bullied at school/worried or anxious about something.
2. She need to go to the bathroom.

so of course, we try to make these factors minimized.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 10:57 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Has she started eating more sugar later in the day? A friend of mine had this, reduced he child's sugar intake and the sleepwalking lessened.

Hmmm. I have a teenager who infrequently sleepwalks. This week I caught him wandering around in his jammies, dragging his blanket, eyes wide open. He may have had a bowl of cereal before he went to sleep. I'll have to mention that to him!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics