Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does anyone have a toddler with PDD?
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 9:59 pm
Pm the moderater again. I hope you get in there fast.

Just so you know-help at this age makes a huge difference. You will see in a few months how different your child will be. A good speech therapist is extremely important as well as an ot for his sensory issues.

Good luck with the center. The supervisors are amazing there and very knowlegable. They will probably be able to guide you in the right direction.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 7:47 am
This diagnosis is not concrete. every child will develope differently. My son B"h is doing beautifully even though he was diagnosed as pdd nos. He is fifteen and has been mainstreamed since age 5. He is currently in highschool with out any support services. Try to get your child as much services as possible. Keep him stimulated as much as possible. Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 7:57 am
I had a really good conversation with my service coordinator right now. She agreed with me that you really can't diagnose a child under 2 (which is what he is) with PDD, though he has a lot of PDD tendencies. I am going for an intake appt to a center on Thursday iyh where we'll determine if he is even a match for the ABA program. I am hopeful that since we'll be there in the morning when he won't be as tired and crabby as he was during th other evals, and in a room full of exciting toys instead of the uninteresting ones the evaluators brought, that he'll do better. Also, we can work it out on the calendar to begin immediately after our I.E. meeting so that we squeeze in about a month of services before the summer and can still go away for a shortened period (six weeks instead of eight), while continuing to get services in the mountains (even if it's not ABA, just special instruction and speech).

I'm feeling so much better; the past 2 days has been a crazy emotional roller coaster. and I was just PMed by the moderator from the special needs group, so now I can finally talk about this with other mothers who know what I'm going through....

Thanks for all the support!!!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 10:37 am
amother with the son in high school. could you pm me? I would LOVE to speak to another mother who is ahead of me in the teen years with a kid who is high functioning as well...please pm me.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 28 2010, 7:24 pm
I don't know your child so I can't say anything specific. But I do know firsthand of a child who was labeled PDD NOS and was in a ABA center. She's nearly three now and just stopped attending the center. There was really no reason for her to have gotten that label in the first place. You need to be really honest with yourself about what your child is capable of. Maybe look into a language based program rather than an ABA program.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics