Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How Much Tuition Do You Pay?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sat, May 01 2010, 11:57 pm
Please tell me how much you pay in tuition per child (including all fees, registration,etc.) whether you receive a tuition break or not. Obviously, be anonymous and of you can include where you live, that would also help me. TIA!

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:22 am
I have 2 kids going into a flatbush school. the asking price for nursery and pre1a (5 year olds) was bit more then 12 thousand. we got more then 2 thousand dollars off the price so somewhere in the 9thousand dollar range. rent and tuition equal more then what dh brings home from work. and I am a stay at home mom. so hopefully we will get more of a break.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:47 am
In NY, I am paying approx. $6000 per child.

bubby

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:52 am
Still paying for ZAL (Bais Medrash?) I wish it was only $6000. And he lives at home & provides his own Sefarim.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 1:19 am
we pay about 6000, includes everything for my daughter, in Brooklyn (BYDM). this is about 2000+ less than what they are asking but my husband spoke with them.
My son is starting yeshiva next year and we got a break there too. Also paying about 6 grand.
That school asked details, which I don't blame them- what car(s) do you drive, bungalow?, maid, gardener..etc. and how much pay for each.
I wrote, basically, "I wish!" next to all those (except car). that and, no vacations, no fancy cars etc. they gave a nice break.
(tuition is one of the only 'cheaper' things in Brooklyn! NJ, CA...crazy! I can't even imagine. 3 kids, 45 grand? if not more?)

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 1:20 am
bubby wrote:
Still paying for ZAL (Bais Medrash?) I wish it was only $6000. And he lives at home & provides his own Sefarim.

What does ZAL stand for?

I pay appx. $4500 tuition and $480 transportation annually for a first grade boy and no extra application or registration fees from his school Very Happy .

My girls' school is an entirely different story. I pay appx. $3,000 tuition with no transportation for my daughter in kindergarten and appx. $4,000 per child from Pre-1A and older. They use varsity buses, so no transportation costs. Registration every year is $245 per child Sad and there's a $20 nit fee per child once a year. Grrrr...

We also pay a one-time-payment $250 building fund fee for the first two girls in the family. The max per family is $500 building fund fee, so we aren't billed for building funds for the rest of our girls. Hooray!!!

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 1:24 am
We pay approx $4800 per yr for my son, which includes trans. There is a $150 registration fee. I'm having nightmares thinking of sending my daughter to school... That will be about $6000 per year, with no transportation for Kindergarten.

slushiemom

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 2:14 am
I pay about $2500 dollars for my 2 year old's private gan. For my 3 year old's gan I pay about $300 for the year. israel, baby!

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 2:33 am
About $20,000 a year total for all 5 kids ages 6-15, not including any extras like day camp, registration, transportation, building funds, book fees, trips etc.

Marion

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 4:07 am
slushiemom wrote:
I pay about $2500 dollars for my 2 year old's private gan. For my 3 year old's gan I pay about $300 for the year. israel, baby!

$300 for the year??? How do you manage that? For us it's 750NIS/MONTH (about $200). And yes, that's municipal 3 year old gan.

slushiemom

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 6:44 am
true. In bet shemesh it's 120 NIS per month because we're a 'development city' with lots of very poor ethiopians and Russians. I've also heard that 'over the green line' pays more, I know my SIL in the Gush also pays in the 700 nis/month range for iriyah 3 and 4 year old gan.

goldapoe

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 7:02 am
slushiemom wrote:
true. In bet shemesh it's 120 NIS per month because we're a 'development city' with lots of very poor ethiopians and Russians. I've also heard that 'over the green line' pays more, I know my SIL in the Gush also pays in the 700 nis/month range for iriyah 3 and 4 year old gan.

Hey, SM, I even know some very poor Americans and Brits in Bet Shemesh!

saw50st8

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 7:48 am
Tuition here (in the various schools) range from $12,000 plus fees to $18,000 plus fees.

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 8:07 am
This is all in pesos and the dollar is about 3.8 now. For 4 kids in one school, 3 in elementary and 1 in pre-school, $4,000 monthly. For my 2 yr old, a whole day, literally, $750-800 monthly. It's a 12 month payment, which means that we have to pay in the summer too, nothing to do with camp. They do raise it in middle of the year without any warning. School started in March and I paid $750 for my 2 yr old and then for April, I got a bill for $850 shock . I told them that I'm not paying that amount. Since I paid $760 for April, I got a bill for May for the same. I paid that amount because that's what I had on me to pay. We pay in cash when we go to the school as opposed to cc or check. All this doesn't include lunch and transportation. There is a registration fee of one month tuition. This might not seem like a lot to some people if you divide it in dollars, but if you get paid in pesos, it's an awful lot. In case you couldn't figure it out, my 2 yr old goes to a different school then the other ones. It's closer to me and more convenient. His school is smaller than the other kids school. It's not a mixed school, but there are boys and girls. The boys are on one floor and the girls another. Pre-school is mixed Wink . One of the reasons we moved here was because of the outrageous prices for schools, we couldn't afford it Rolling Eyes Confused Exploding anger .

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 8:22 am
I pay about $5,000 per child in NY. In the school I am sending to, that is the price. I did not ask for a break.
I have always paid full price. But most of the people in our community have large families, so that is the highest price. Those that do not have or cannot pay, get a break, and plenty of people do not pay anything.
No matter how little we ever earned, we never tried to bargain with tuition. We dressed our kids in hand me downs, but paid FULL tuiition all the time. When DH was out of a job for a while, we asked them to wait and we would pay it off eventually in installments, which we did as soon as DH was back at work.
We were both taught about the importance of paying full tuition. We believe its very important.

However, there are many schools that are not charging fair and reasonable amounts.
How can someone earning even $100,000 a year afford tuition at $12,000 a year per child if they have ten children? I actually know a family like this, forced to homeschool their children. And very happy and proud of it. They live very beautifully, and can afford to feed healthily and clothe their children well.
Their kids are all very intelligent, and very well behaved. Their home is immaculate. They do not have any outside cleaning help. Of course, they never take vacations either. But they did what worked for them.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 8:25 am
Full day nursery: $5500 (half day $3000)
K: $6000
1-8: $6500
HS: $7500

plus about $1500 in fees per family. this is all the same school. This is OOT, but in NorthEastern US. I currently have 1 in half day nursery, but next year IYH this child will be in K and the other will be in full day nursery, so I anticipate to pay about $13k, plus I work full time and have to find someone to pick up from school and watch for 2-3 hrs. (No busses.) as well as someone to watch on all the random half days, no days, last minute cancellations bc hanhola want a longer shavuous break and didn't decide until half way through sefirah....

So, I estimate I will pay about $2k per month in tuition and other childcare.

I'm not planning to ask for a break, but we'll see. I think we can squeeze it out ourselves, but DH wants a break.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 8:43 am
For my elementary school kids it's approx. 14k per year per kid including fees. Northern NJ.

mosma

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:10 am
This past year, kindergarten, tuition was $8,500 and I got a break of $2,000 and my FIL had to help pay it bec there is no way I can afford that (DH is unemployed). Next year's tuition goes up to $10,100 and I have to fill out the financial aid form still but I don't think I'll get such a break because part of the questions are if someone helps you out with tuition and I have to write yes because they know my check last year didn't come from us...sigh...

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:12 am
My tuition bill for next year is 26,500 for 3 in Brooklyn shock nuff said.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:46 am
We pay $3,600 for each of our 3 kids in K and older (full day). for our preschoolers we pay $950 for one and $1,750 for the other. Plus $650 in fees for the family. Total - $14,150. Full tuition would have been $37,100.

We live in the midwest.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics