Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is baby lotion a moisturizer?

malky800

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 3:11 pm
Is that pink bottle of johnson and johson baby lotion a moisturizer on a baby's dry skin, or is it for something else?
my baby has very dry flaky skin and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with that, should I just try regular moisturizer?

mamommommy

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 4:52 pm
I think the johnsons and johnsons is supposed to work like a moisturizer, but I also found that it never worked on my kids at all. I use regular moisturizer on my babies, but only ones that I know are good for sensitive skin and have no perfumes added. Aquaphor works REALLY well and my pediatrician recommends it, but it's a bit greasy (like vaseline) but I find I don't have to reapply it to them often at all and it keeps their skin soft. I also like the Triple Cream which also works really well and it's not as greasy.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:53 pm
Lotions, like the Johnson's and Johnson's, contain a mixture of oil and water (mainly water), and generally don't work well as moisturizers for people with dry skin because the water in them evaporates quickly.

Ointments (like vaseline or generic petroleum jelly) and creams are usually a better choice than lotions. Petroleum jelly is very effective, but it's a little messy. Other good ones are Aquaphor ointment, Aveeno cream, Cetaphil cream, Eucerin cream, and Triple cream.

Based on info from the National Eczema Association Smile

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 10:51 pm
Get a tube of vanicream, its recommended for children with very dry skin or excema. J&J tends to dry out and cause skin issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics