Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Am I a terrible mother?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 1:36 pm
If I don't get rid of my Children's Tylenol? The recall is voluntary. Nothing has happened to anyone. The FDA and MacNeil are trying to cover themselves since they were not comfortable with quality control, but nobody really knows what the problem is or has any evidence that there actually is a problem. I once gave my two year old twice as much as she was supposed to get and Poison Control told me I would have had to have given her a lot more (I think it was something like 20 times more) to cause any harm. I think you would be able to taste or smell that much of a discrepancy in the medicine. And especially when it comes to open bottles-- which I know are fine!

If I were giving my kids Tylenol four times a day every day then maybe I'd be concerned. But is it so terrible to give it to them every once in a while?

GetReal

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 1:47 pm
On the site you can apply for a refund check.

Why in the world would you continue using it when the company (who has the most to lose) is saying not to? Are you waiting to hear chas v'sholom horror stories?

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 1:55 pm
Because the risk seems to be the same as the risk of getting struck by lightening on a sunny day. I don't like jumping simply because somebody tells me so.

GetReal

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:03 pm
Listen, some risks are necessary, some are not. So I'll spend a few dollars and buy another bottle for the small chance that something is wrong with mine. The company is losing thousand of dollars on this; I care more for my kid than they do!

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:15 pm
Ah, but in the long run they are saving a lot of money since they look like the good guys and their brand won't be destroyed. If the FDA had to forcibly sanction them it would look much worse. It pays for them to cooperate with the authorities. Anyway, really just curious if something is missing in my analysis of the risk since I'm not a scientist.

GetReal

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:18 pm
I really don't mean to argue, do what you want...but I am not a scientist and I don't know how things work in the corporate world. So while all the experts figure it out, I won't take unnecessary chances with my children's health.

drumjj

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 2:21 pm
I have to agree with getreal for a few dollars ur willing to risk something which the ppl that make it have recalled. whats the big deal. is it really worth taking the risk on ur kids.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 6:59 pm
I'm not throwing out my bottle of motrin that I've been using for the past six months with no adverse effects. a closed bottle I would return. but an open bottle that's been working fine?

also, what would I have out of returning the bottle, all the bottles available in the drugstore for the next few months will all be effected! it takes a while for new production to hit store shelves!

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 8:24 pm
Are store brand versions of these medicines affected by the recall, too (I.e CVS brand motrin)?

Thanks.

sim

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 8:27 pm
Generics are not affected, and since that's what I usually buy (they're cheaper) I don't have any problem with this recall.

GetReal

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:13 pm
Generics work just as well. They aren't taking back your open bottle, MB, they are sending you a refund check in the mail or a coupon to buy a new one when the problems are worked out.

Gosh, I am starting to feel stupid here. Am I the only one who wouldn't give my kids something that the manufacturer says not to?

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:19 pm
GetReal wrote:
Generics work just as well. They aren't taking back your open bottle, MB, they are sending you a refund check in the mail or a coupon to buy a new one when the problems are worked out.

Gosh, I am starting to feel stupid here. Am I the only one who wouldn't give my kids something that the manufacturer says not to?

As someone said on the other thread, the Star-K has said that there is non-kosher glycerin in many children's meds. That's why I don't buy the generic version. I'm lucky that I somehow have a bottle that doesn't have the numbers listed on the website, and that I haven't needed it since I heard about the recall. But if not...I would have a shayla to ask. I wouldn't be surprised if the Star-K has been getting plenty of calls recently about this.

Is it the only kashrus agency that says this?

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:21 pm
GetReal wrote:
On the site you can apply for a refund check.

Why in the world would you continue using it when the company (who has the most to lose) is saying not to? Are you waiting to hear chas v'sholom horror stories?

Thumbs Up
I didn't want you to feel like the lone voice of reason.

I am more affected because I give my son Zyrtec. I was on the phone with his ped first thing this morning to discuss the situation.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:22 pm
can someone direct me to the site? maybe my bottle of motrin isnt under the recall.

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:44 pm
http://www.mcneilproductrecall.....r.inc

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:45 pm
Here is the link for the refund. You don't have to send anything back. You only have to fill out an online form.
https://www.mcneilproductrecal.....n.inc

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 9:48 pm
I am not throwing out my tylenon that I have been using the past few months and there was no reaction. If I need a new bottle I will get a generic brand.

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:16 pm
I can understand if a child needed the recalled medicine and someone was totally unable to go to the store to replace it with an alternative. I can also understand someone hesitating to buy the generics because of kasruth reasons. I may not agree with it or make the same choices, but I understand.

But why choose to continue to give a child a recalled medicine for no better reason than 'nothing bad has happened so far'? Do you need to have a reaction first in order to stop? I really don't get it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:39 pm
I am talking about adult tylenol, the kids ones I am not using.

MommaB

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:46 pm
First of all, generics can be part of the recall, if they are made by McNeil. Check labels. Second, you really should not use the recalled meds. They could be contaminated, they could contain too much or too little of the active ingredients... this is not about somebody telling you what to do, it is about keeping your kids safe. It is just not worth the risk and returning them will not cost you anything.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics