Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Am I a terrible mother?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:27 pm
MommaB wrote:
First of all, generics can be part of the recall, if they are made by McNeil. Check labels. Second, you really should not use the recalled meds. They could be contaminated, they could contain too much or too little of the active ingredients... this is not about somebody telling you what to do, it is about keeping your kids safe. It is just not worth the risk and returning them will not cost you anything.

what is the risk exactly? The recall is essentially saying that they did not like the supervision over the last two years so they can't say for with 100% certainty that sure that the medicine is 100% ok. The same might actually be true of the generics, only the FDA inspectors haven't gotten there yet so we don't know it yet. It's highly likely that I crossed against the light for two years and didn't get run over by a car. Same is true here, especially when no adverse affects have been reported for two years. I could also save my children from much more concrete risk by requiring them to wear helmets in the car for example, but for some reason no one seem to be pushing for that.

I find it so curious that those mothers who are against listening to the establishment can just accept a recall at face value without even stopping to think whether it makes logical sense, or if there are plenty of other factors at play that have nothing to do with the risk to our children. Maybe I am a terrible mother for not throwing out my Tylenol, but at least I can still think independently.

GetReal

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 10:15 am
As it is, I hate giving my kids medication with dyes, flavors, etc, when I don't know exactly what they are consuming (which is why I get the dye-free infant drops and use them sparingly.) So if the company itself is telling me there is a (potential) problem, it reinforces the uneasiness that is already there and there is no way I am using the stuff!

justanothermother

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:43 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I am talking about adult tylenol, the kids ones I am not using.

Adult tylenol is not part of the recall.

justanothermother

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I am a terrible mother for not throwing out my Tylenol, but at least I can still think independently.

I did not realize that good mothering and independent thinking were mutually exclusive. I am glad you have your priorities in order.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics