Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone heard of this? could there be these long term effects

amother

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 9:18 pm
a little bit of background:
I was diagnosed with pcos a little less than a year ago. went through treatment, bh now im expecting.

I just went to my ob for the first time. he asked me if I ever had any surgeries or operations and I asked him if I have to tell him about one that I had when I was 5 years old, I think because of a UTI. I wasnt even sure. (I dont know why I never asked-it was a painful surgery and thats all I remembered or cared about! I always thought it was a very minor surgery!) he said its fine, hes not even writing it down. then, when he was about to do the sonogram, he saw my mark from the surgery and he told me I better find out what the surgery is, as if he has to do a c-section, he would have to go in that exact place, and he must know what was done there, as well as which hospital so that he can get the records.

so, I asked my mother, and she said it wasnt minor at all! what happened is that I kept getting UTIs, so they checked out why, and they saw I had a kidney reflux. the urine wasnt coming out, because the tubes werent long enough, so they had to lengthen the tubes. (dont ask me what it means that the urine wasnt coming out-I remember being toilet trained!)

so, im just curious; did anyone ever hear of this? could that possibly have caused PCOS? honestly, I cant imagine it couldve caused it, but im just curious what you pros out there think. the only reason why I would think maybe it did, is because pcos tends to run in families, and no one related to me that I know of ever had it. though im confused to even think that, as that was my kidneys, and this is my ovaries. but what do I know?! I will discuss the surgery and everything with my ob when I go back to him, but that will be in 4 weeks, and im really curious about this now.

amother

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:14 pm
bump. there are over 100 views and not one of you ever heard of this? is it even more rare than I thought? thsi in itself, that no one answered me is making me more nervous about it!

WriterMom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:17 pm
I have a relative and an in-law who had this kidney problem, but they were both male. I do know that if the only problem is structural (ie they lengthened the tubes and it fixed it) there aren't expected to be any complications for them, but men's hormones and reproductive kit is vastly different from women's, so that doesn't mean anything. Sorry not to be more help!

chmom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:21 pm
I'm not sure what exactly was done to what sounds like your ureters (the tubes leading from the kidneys to the bladder) but if you had severe vesicoureteral reflux (reflux of urine from the bladder into the kidneys) they might have severed your ureters from the bladder and reattached them at a different angle. However it has nothing whatsoever to do with your PCOS which is a hormonal problem.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:25 pm
No. it hasnt caused pcos. I do suggest however hving a 3D ultrasound done to make sure there is no scarring inside form the surgery.

PCOS is hormonal.

rivka6

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:26 pm
PCOS is a hormonal/endocrine disorder. It has nothing to do with reflux, which sounds like what you had, and maybe you also had repositioning of the ureters. Maybe the OB wants to be extra cautious and wants to know if the ureters (tube from kidney to bladder) are where he expects them to be.

rivka6

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:26 pm
PCOS is a hormonal/endocrine disorder. It has nothing to do with reflux, which sounds like what you had, and maybe you also had repositioning of the ureters. Maybe the OB wants to be extra cautious and wants to know if the ureters (tube from kidney to bladder) are where he expects them to be.

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Aug 10 2010, 8:36 am
2 out of 3 of my kids have/had this. VUr (aka kidney reflux) - #2 outgrew it, B"H, but the doctor has warned me that she will still need ultrasounds at age 5 and then post puberty to ensure there is no damages. #1 still has it and has already undergone surgery (unsucessful deflux procedure) - and we were told to be very on top of his internal developement esp. through puberty. There are 5 grades of reflux - grades I and II often heal themsleves and rarely need further medical intervention. Grade III is right on the fence and grades IV and V usually require surgery (and fairly quickly afaik).

Like someone else suggested, an ultrasound can help rule out scarring and the like. Also, IY"H your child will be a very healhty and happy one, however, if s/he developes frequent UTI's - let your kids Md know about this as VUR's risk increases with familiality (it is not hereditary according to our doc).

Be Shaah Tova
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics