Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Which Appliances to Buy?
1  2  Next

greatfulmom

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 12:24 pm
I'm moving soon, and I need help finding the right kitchen appliances.

I am interested in a side by side fridge. any ideas?

Also, does a front loader washer/dryer save u money on water bills/ or is it just a gimmick?

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 3:26 pm
If you are buying a stove, the ones with the SABBATH feature are very useful. It means that you can set it to turn off on Shabboss without beeping. Also you can set it to bypass the safety feature which shuts off a stove after 12/24 hours so that it will stay on over Yom Tov.

cindy324

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 3:33 pm
Little tip about a side by side. Think long and hard before u get one just because you like the way it looks! I have one and The fridge part is waaaaay too small, especially if you're a family of four or more, and keep the jewish holidays LOL Every Yom tov it's a struggle trying to fit everything in.

You're probably better off with a fridge on top-freeezer on bottom style. My friend has it and it's deeper and wider , so it fits more food.

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 4:16 pm
I always wondered if the kids would keep pulling out that freezer: it is just the right height for little hands.

red sea

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 4:20 pm
I have a bottom freezer and love it.

and yes, the front loading machines really do use less water.

mommy2

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:22 pm
does anybody have a fridge without the freezer? The freezer separate? Does that work well?

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 7:40 pm
I have a side - by side because our kitchen isn't so big & the space left for the fridge isn't so deep so Sears have a line of fridges that are "counter depth". We took one of those so it doens't stick out but all are side by side. We could've had the side by side fridge with the freezer on the bottom, but DH thought the freezer part would get to messy - we'd just throw everything in.

The best part of a side by side? The water & ice dispenser that are filtered!

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:19 pm
In addition to my regular sized fridge/freezer in my kitchen, I have an additional freezer (freezer only) in our basement. However, we made a mistake when we purchased it and we bought one that we are outgrowing when Yomim Noraim (Rosh Hashonah, Yom Kippur, Succos) come up. I like to stock up on challohs and large containers of cooked chicken soups and I find that we need more space. We are now looking into buying a side by side for the basement, so that we can get some more badly needed freezer space and fridge space as well. Is that a good idea? Should we get frost-free or not? Some people say the frost-free leaves a freezer taste in the food, even though it's easier to clean. Any advice?

nicole81

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:22 pm
I used to have a side by side in my last apt and I found the shelf space to be wayyyy too narrow. If you like the look of the side by side, they make french door fridges with the freezer on the bottom. I love how they look. I just have a regular bottom freezer fridge now. I can't comment on older children, but my daughter is almost 15 months and there's no way she could open it up.

red sea

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 7:39 am
There is no water dispenser with a bottom freezer, but the ice is filtered too.

If you like side by side look the french door with the bottom freezer gives the best of both.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 7:57 am
Bottom freezer is great. I have the maytag model. When I bought mine they did not yet make the french door model. I would def get that one now if I were buying new. Yes front loaders do use much less water. washes better too.

chen

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 8:16 am
side-by-side is the most energy-guzzling configuration, while freezer-on-the-top is the most efficient.

yes, front-loading washer really do save money on water and water-heating bills b/c they use much less water than top-loaders. Plus you can use the top as a work surface. OTOH if the machine dies in midload for any reason, I hope you have nice tall galoshes and a pair of waterproof overalls.

greatfulmom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 8:26 am
Original mother here...

Thx so much for all ur ideas and suggestions.

I am definitely buying a side by side, so there's no option here for bottom freezer, cause that's much more expensive. I'm aiming for a side by side with ice and filtered water... There are so many out there for a decent price.

I will look into front loaders, since I see so many of yous that recomend it. I heard it's much more expensive, is it really?

Another question: I have natural color wood cabinets, stainless steel faucets, and I'm buying a bisque fridge. Now, does it make sense to get black ovens, and microwave? Or will my kitchen look like I have every color in it?! Confused

brooklyn

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 8:31 am
have all your appliances the same color.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 9:19 am
Quote:
OTOH if the machine dies in midload for any reason, I hope you have nice tall galoshes and a pair of waterproof overalls

chen, I have identified you!!!
YOU
ARE
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Kayla Kuchenfeld
Your sense of humor is identical LOL

Buddy

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 10:08 am
My mom has a fridge w/o a freezer. She really enjoys it!

I also know someone who has a side by side and an additional small fridge that she uses just for milchig. She mentioned it's very practical.

cindy324

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 10:39 am
Quote:
Kayla Kuchenfeld

That's Kuchleffel.

Another point about side by side , make sure the water dispenser has a lockout feature, or your toddlers will be taking regular showers under there! LOL

greatfulmom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 10:54 am
Now, my question is: I want a bisque fridge, and I have stainless faucets.
Which color appliances would look decent?

I do not go for the trendy stainless steel ovens, fridge, etc. cause they're always smudged with fingerprints.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 10:55 am
I had a side by side but I found both the freezer and fridge part very small. I now have a freezer on top and fridge bottom - and its great- very roomy. Just make sure to get a fridge that has some adjustable shelves or you may not be able to put your huge chicken soup pot in the fridge.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 11:00 am
[quote="mordysmom"

I do not go for the trendy stainless steel ovens, fridge, etc. cause they're always smudged with fingerprints.[/quote]

we have a side by side stainless steel fridge that comes with a coating on top of the steel that dosnt hold any smudges or fingerprints, not a single one. the only stains on it are spilled food, or grease on the handles. look into it, I love it and am so happy that I got it.

not a single fingerprint.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics