Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What does your 1 year old say? UPDATE P2
1  2  3  Next

Aribenj

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 10:49 pm
My pediatrician has me a little freaked out...

When I took my baby to his 9 month appointment the doc asked me if he was babbling yet, (mamamama, nananana, dadadada, papapapa, not refering to anything or anyone, just mixing consonants with vowels repetitively) and I said no. She said it was a little unusual, but I should just keep an eye on it, and if he didn't start by the time he was 1, we'd have to see a speech therapist.

Well he's now 11 months and still nothing. Not even Ma. Or Pa. Or da, or ta or anything. When he sees me he goes AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! When I call him he answers EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! When I ask him how the cow goes, sometimes he answeres OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (sometimes... Usually I say the cow goes MOOO and he repeats OOOOOOOOOOOOOO )

Sometimes if his fingers are in his mouth he manages a "bleurbeul" I doubt that counts though...

I've never heard him utter a single consonant...

My other kids were doing a lot more by this age... DS was saying MAMA, DADA, LILI (his sister) and DD actually had a 20 word vocabulary by the time she was his age... Ok, I hate comparing my own kids, but it does make me worry a little...

Last edited by Aribenj on Fri, May 14 2010, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

the world's best mom

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 11:59 pm
Well, he's more advanced than my 22 month old. He says dadada, but nothing on command. He would not imitate moo, or anything else, in any way. And yes, he's getting speech therapy 4 times a week.

I would get him evaluated at 12 months. Before then he probably wouldn't get anything, but after his birthday he should get therapy.

Classicookie

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:25 am
my one year old does not make many sounds and is getting help for it. she mostly says the dada sound and then the ehh sound we are trying to up her speech now she only has once a mouth now with bec she was only 81/2 months when we got her her serves. My dd has vevy low tone around her mouth which is a part of the reson its harder for her to make some of the outher sounds

also I was just told that her speech is about a 6 month delay bec a 6 month old babbles a lot more then what she does so from the way your talking I think you should deff get your baby evaluated.

amother

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:50 am
I would be concerned if my 11 month old isn't blabering at all. I do talk alot to my kids, even when they are newborn so I find that they respond to that.

My 14 month old is says all the following, plus she mimics alot. mommy, totty, zaidy, bobby, hi, nanana (banana), bye bye, yes, no, more, challah. She says some more, but I don't remember offhand. Besides for totty, banana and mommy, I don't think she always understands what she is saying. She also says her own name, but I don't think she knows that it's her name.

Sorry for worrying you.

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:57 am
Amother just above, that is verbally advanced. I know because that's what my babies did, and it isn't what most babies do. When my oldest daughter started babysitting she observed, "You know Mommy, one year olds are not supposed to talk."

On the other hand, not babbling at a year is concerning.

amother

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:44 am
I agree isramom, but I am concerned that this baby isn't blabering at 11 months. My kids started blabering early on. I have my own concerns, because little yenta blabber queen is pretty content not walking.

MommyZ

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:47 am
My ds #2 is 15 mths says mama when he wants me says dada when he wants dh and other then that babbles baba, gaga etc.

Isramom8

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 4:55 am
amother wrote:
I agree isramom, but I am concerned that this baby isn't blabering at 11 months. My kids started blabering early on. I have my own concerns, because little yenta blabber queen is pretty content not walking.

Yes, check it out with a doctor.

amother

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 11:11 am
My ds was saying twenty words by the time she was one and speaking in full sentences by twenty months. Howeve my ds who is also about eleven months says "baba" constantly "dada" sometimes "mama" rarely but "ah ge" a lot. I am a bit like what's wrong with you kid but I keep telling myself he is ds and not dd. I would ask your ped. but he also first started to babble at nine months was only doing "ahh" before

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 11:16 am
Some kids just develop later, and even if he can benefit from speech therapy, it's really nothing to freak out about - no worse than braces of glasses. Some kids just need the extra help to start talking, walking, etc. My older sister didn't walk or talk until she was two - and until then she didn't even crawl, but just "slithered". That was in the day and age before therapy was widely accepted, and my parents didn't intervene. By the time she was four, you could not tell! Of course, she would have benefitted from therapy, but even without it, she was perfect!

melbee

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:19 pm
I've also heard that if your child is doing a lot physically, they can develop slower in other areas, such as verbal. DS is 14 months, and has hit all his physical milestones early (with the possible exception of walking; he can do it, he's just better at crawling so he prefers that). Anyway, he's not as advanced verbally. In fact, the only word he says with conviction is "duck"! (There's a story behind that, I assure you LOL ) Other kids who don't crawl or anything yet are babbling and talking up a storm. Just one area of the brain can't develop as quickly when the other area is taking the focus.

Not babbling at all can be worrisome, so by all means talk to your ped. But as others have said, even if he winds up needing therapy, it's not the end of the world. IY"H he will catch up with all the other kids, and no one will even suspect he was a late talker!

smileyface1

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:02 pm
my almost 12 month old only blabbers. he still does not say mama, tata or anything else. I do know that he has very frequent ear infections. could it be that that's the reason he hasn't picked up words or sounds? I spoke to my ped and she recommended to see an ent and to get a hearing test done on him.
I spoke to EI and was told that before they would evaluate him he should have that screening done. normally a child at 11 months should have at least 3 word in their vocabulary.
so see to it to talk to your ped and maybe have a hearing test done. he might have fluid in his ear that makes his fine hearing hard (that is what processes the sounds) although his gross hearing may be good (he hears you whenever you talk to him) the fine hearing is what he needs in order to learn sounds.
good luck

drumjj

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:42 pm
my daughter is 14 months and says nothing clearly at all although I do know she cant hear low tones so it might be because of that. im going to see the hearing ppl again soon and then im going to see someone privately if they tell me to come back again in three months (this will be the fourth time)

Annie

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 12:34 am
I was with my 14 month old neice today and was surprised that she doesn't seem to have any words that aren't sign-language (they've been doing baby sign language since she was about 4 months old). She was really very quiet and didn't even make many sounds other than an occasionally "eeeee."

I have a specific recollection of my now 11 year old dd, looking up in the sky and saying "airplane" at around 13 months. She'd had a few words before then -- Mama, Dada, diaper, Elmo, More and "all done."

sarahd

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 2:26 pm
My ds is almost 16 months old and all he says on a consistent basis is "dis". Lately he's said hi and bye a couple of times too, but that is the sum total of his vocabulary. He also doesn't stand alone or walk, although he's been cruising since he was 7 months old. My pediatrician, who specializes in child development, is quite unconcerned, although I can't figure out why.

OheivYisrael

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 3:39 pm
I just have to throw in my 2 cents here-

18 month DS has been on time or advanced with everything except speech. Until recently, he always stuck his tongue out (resting it on his lower teeth). He still has barely any words, and at 12 months babbled (not much) and communicated (pointing, shaking his head,etc).

At 14 months he'd been sick a lot and had the tongue issue, so even though my pediatrician said it was no big deal (he's very laid back) I had him evaluated by therapists and an ENT. Results: he's extremely advanced in everything but the actual words, and has amazing hearing.

Lesson: sometimes kids are just late talkers.

My husband's grandmother tells the story of her younger sister (7 years younger). She didn't say a word until she was 2 and a half. One day their mother served them lunch and her younger sister who had never spoken looked down at her plate and said, "What the he** is this??"

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 3:51 pm
My ds has a whole vocabulary at 18 months & he loves to imitate. He is not doing so great in the Gross Motor department though. He's petrified to climb stairs. He will attempt maybe 1 or 2 & then scream until I rescue him. he doesn't run at all & his gait is distinctly unsteady outside. Every kids has their own achilles heel. Most of them catch up eventually.

Annie

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 4:28 pm
Reading these posts has reminded me of my ds, who didn't talk a lot, maybe just "mama" and "dada" but then at one point - I think he was already about 18 months, looked at me when I was dressing him and said "no, not those socks, Mommy." He continues to be very fussy about his socks, even at 8 years old. He was also a late talker but very advanced in gross motor skills.

dmum

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 4:55 pm
I had a very similar experience with one of mine.
they should be able to put a vowel and consonant together at that age. that is the correct milestone. yes, you have late babies, but if they can't do that by 9 months, you should see a dr.
my daughter couldn't. she could do aaah, but not baa. not gaa. nothing. only aaah.
she didn't actually have any consonants (or any other vowels) for a long time, only started to babble at about 18 months. and then suddenly - boom! she did it all within a couple of months. she is now 3 and talks beautifully.
we were under speech therapy, and child development, and audiology, and dietician - though they didn't actually do much with her, more of a 'watch and wait'. the reason she was under so many teams was because she was very very premature. her mouth was always her big issue (eating, sucking, talking etc) so we were well aware. but she did suddenly just 'get it' and there are no issues now at all bH.

gryp

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 5:18 pm
My 23 month old doesn't say much at all. I'm trying to stay unconcerned when the two right before him were speaking full sentences by 15 months. He reminds me of my oldest who didn't say much until he turned 3 and went to school.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics