Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What does your 1 year old say? UPDATE P2
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dmum

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 5:38 pm
yes, but GR it's not really the words as much as the ability to form them.
my 14 month old is not talking much either, other than dada and mama, but he babbles plenty, and has hard and soft consonants etc... which is why I'm not worried about him.
having no consonants at all is a concern. not an extreme one, but still a matter of concern.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 5:46 pm
I have great news! Ds now says dadada on command! He started yesterday. He has also started showing some comprehension skills. When I say I have to change his diaper, he runs to lay down on the couch. When I ask for a hug, he gives me one- or he'll give one to someone else instead, but he understands the hug part. If we tell him to open the door, he knocks on the door. If we say to get a cookie or a drink, he runs into the kitchen. These are all new skills that he learned within the last few days- at 22 months old! We're very excited.

gryp

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 6:43 pm
dmum wrote:
yes, but GR it's not really the words as much as the ability to form them.
my 14 month old is not talking much either, other than dada and mama, but he babbles plenty, and has hard and soft consonants etc... which is why I'm not worried about him.
having no consonants at all is a concern. not an extreme one, but still a matter of concern.

I understand this is about saying consonants but another way kids learn to talk is by parroting. My 23 month old doesn't imitate because he can not. He's also shy and will never repeat when asked to. Just like my oldest was.
It definitely also has to do with comprehension, in my experience, at least.
He's almost 2, and as I said, I'm trying to be patient.

dmum

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 6:58 pm
how can a nine month old's babble have to do with comprehension?
the ability to move your tongue and jaw is what enables you to make sounds. parrotting comes much later.

gryp

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:08 pm
The OP's child is now 11 months old. 2 of my children were like hers, and 2 of them had a whole vocabulary by then.
I'm just saying that comprehension and ability to speak seem to be connected.

mommy24

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 7:57 pm
GR wrote:
The OP's child is now 11 months old. 2 of my children were like hers, and 2 of them had a whole vocabulary by then.

Its funny I found the total opposite with my kids. I have gotten a few of my kids evaluated because either they weren't speaking or it was impossible to understand anything they would say. Each of my kids that got evaluated were evaluated more htan once, since htey never got approved for speech. The reason they were not approved was because their comprehension was great. They understood everything that was said or asked of them, but htey couldn't repeat or speak, and when they did no one understood.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 8:10 pm
You may want to have your baby's hearing tested (by an audiologist) just to rule that out.

Ds1 was like this--not a sound, never a babble--never a consonant sound--pediatrician was the one who called it to my attention when he was 9 months old....Whenever he played by himself (even at almost 2 years he was totally silent.)
Anyhow, we had his hearing checked--all was normal. had him evaluated for speech therapy at 13 months when he still wasn't making any sounds, no attempts at imitating, etc. and he was denied services because he had no feeding issues--never drooled, could chew, swallow, good muscle tone.
At 19 months when he still wasn't saying anything--maybe 4 "words"--"mamama" indiscriminately "ba" which meant bubby or ball or book--just about anything that started with that letter and "mo" for more...He also didn't wave hi or bye-bye and had a hard time learning any sign language we attempted to teach him (more, I want, no...the basic baby signs...) He basically had a hard time with all expressive language. So at 19 months we had him evaluated again and first we were denied services because his receptive language was way above average (he understood everything a 3 year old should...) and because the tests score receptive and expressive language together, he scored about average for his age.
We fought a bit with EI services, ds was getting frustrated more and more because nobody understood him.....he became a big brother and was visibly upset by everything. Soooo he finally received services 2 times a week which we upped to 4 times a week after about 3 months.
Now he's almost 3 and has an incredible vocabulary. He still has speech therapy 4 times a week--his articulation is poor....
At 23 months he started babbling for the first time. And at 26 months I was strapping him into his car seat one day when he looked at me and said, "Mommy. buckle me!"
And then his speech started pouring in!

Is your son able to mimic facial gestures? My son was never able to--he couldn't stick out his tongue if you asked him to--which is why we felt it was a form of aproxia--he just couldn't move his facial muscles on demand. He still has difficulty and requires prompting for things like blowing bubbles and making a few particular sounds...

abismommy

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 8:33 pm
Talking Child has a bunch of language development charts. 1 yr old and not putting C-V together is a little worrisome, IMHO (Early Intervention Special Educator).
You should do the hearing test 1st, like the dr. said, and take it from there. Hatzlocha!

gryp

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 9:12 pm
mommy24 wrote:
GR wrote:

Its funny I found the total opposite with my kids. I have gotten a few of my kids evaluated because either they weren't speaking or it was impossible to understand anything they would say. Each of my kids that got evaluated were evaluated more htan once, since htey never got approved for speech. The reason they were not approved was because their comprehension was great. They understood everything that was said or asked of them, but htey couldn't repeat or speak, and when they did no one understood.

That is interesting. I always felt that because my kids were hearing gibberish when I spoke to them (the 2 of them) they were nowhere near ready to speak/form words. And my oldest passed his hearing test with flying colors.
I guess there are different issues for different kids.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 11:10 am
abismommy wrote:
Talking Child has a bunch of language development charts. 1 yr old and not putting C-V together is a little worrisome, IMHO (Early Intervention Special Educator).
You should do the hearing test 1st, like the dr. said, and take it from there. Hatzlocha!
This chart is so vague.
40-50 words at 24 months.
150 words at age 2

Not very helpful.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 11:47 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
abismommy wrote:
This chart is so vague.
150 words at age 2

Not very helpful.

It's enough to tell me that my 22 month old is on a 2 to 4 month level expressively and an 8- 12 month level receptively. 2 weekd ago, his receptive skills would have been significantly lower.

campmommy

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 12:30 pm
My 21 month old says hardly anything unless you have a REALLY good imagination. But neither did my 10 yr old, my 8 yr. old, or my 7 yr. old when they were his age. My girls, on the other hand were WAY earlier! So use your mother instincts, and try to figure out if you baby is not at a normal stage, but will be a late talker, or could use therapy. Also, speak to family members and see when their speech started. My brothers were later talkers, my sisters and myself a bit earlier. Oh and my 21 month old lets us know exactly what he wants by pointed and pulling and kvetching. So he has no need to talk!

abismommy

Post Wed, May 12 2010, 7:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
abismommy wrote:
This chart is so vague.
150 words at age 2

Not very helpful.

whoa, sorry, didn't see that. must be sone kind of mistake. there's another speech sounds chart that's 100% accurate and I thought this one would be too. still, it's a good indicator if something is off, aside from that discrepancy.
main thing is that language, both expressive and receptive, should be expanding every day.

Aribenj

Post Fri, May 14 2010, 2:19 pm
Just to update: Still no babbling, but between yesterday and today we've had a few new developments:

1) I gave him a cheerio and he said "Tatu!". I thought I imagined it but then I gave him another one and he said it again! Every time I gave him a cheerio I swear it sounded like he was saying "Thank you". It's really wierd, because I've never taught him that... Of course, he could have picked that up from his siblings.

2) He was reading a book and turned to a page with a big cat and he said clear as day "Ka" (That, plus tatu are the first consonants I've ever heard him say) Of course, today he's been saying "KA" all day long, not really referring to anything... It's like he skipped the kakakakaka and went straight to Ka. Or maybe it's the other way around?

3) He's been trying to mimic some words. I say bye to him and he goes "EYYYYYYEEEEE" I said the sheep goes "Baaaaa" ad he says "AAAAAAAAA" (again, no consonants... but sure sounds like he's trying to say something) It's like cognitively he can talk, but something is holding him back from actually doing it.

Incidentally, he's hasn't been pointing or waving either... But when I said bye to him he answered back "EYYYEEE" and raised his hand over his head... (as if to wave)

So I don't get it.

The only thing I can think of is that I know he can walk. 3 weeks ago (he was 10.5 months) I stood him up to see if he could stand and he did. And he took 3 steps! Out of nowhere! He won't do it on his own, at least not in front of me, but sometimes I catch him letting go when he's cruising and taking 2-3 steps on his own... Maybe he's working on that? Or maybe he's just the type of kid who won't do things on command unless he's interested in doing them RIGHT THEN?

DovDov

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 9:24 am
My first son didn't babble much at all. I know at 14 months he had one word -- baby. He said "bababababa" from maybe 10 months, but he didn't really babble other syllables.

The doctor was never worried, and by two he was talking in real sentences. As in 10-15 words, pronouns, prepositions, past tense, etc. People kept talking about how advanced he was verbally -- the same people who used to chepper me about how little he could say!

imamama

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 9:54 am
I could be totally off-base with this but...

Is your son exposed to more than one language on a regular basis? I know my friends' kids, who have English spoken to them at home, but are sent to Hebrew-speaking babysitters from an early age, tend to be late talkers.

My 19-month-old speaks in full sentences, and my friends baby, who is just a few weeks younger than mine, does not say a single word. But my baby is only exposed to English. Hers hears both Hebrew and English on a daily basis.

This is totally just my experience, I have nothing to back up my theory but anecdotal evidence. I'm just mentioning it in case you have a similar situation.

momtomany

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 11:16 am
I cant believe that chart.
Its basically a best case scenario kind of list.
Its by no means a minimum level or else there is something wrong.
My son didnt make a single consonant sound until after about 16 months or so. He used to point and say ehhh.
thats it.
when he turned two he had two words baby and bye bye. which are the same sounds anyway.
he was about 2 1/2 by the time he started using more words.
now he's 3 and he is talking wonderfully. he has a large vocab, uses many different words, still puts them together in a babyish way, like me want more. but he's communicating.
I am lucky that my doctor was very unconcerned and didnt make me go for tests.
he told me accurately, that sure I could try to get him speech therapy, but chances are my son will talk just as soon, on his own.
and I'm glad that I took the laid back approach, and instead of shlepping around with therapy, I spoke to him a lot, and encouraged him to use more words and sounds. he is anyway talking, so obviously speech therapy makes no difference when there is no underlying problem.

my dr. did make sure to ask me if I was sure he could hear me properly, which I was 100% about, since he understood everyhting I told him.

if your dr. is making you nervous at less than a year old(!!!) about speech, maybe you should switch drs.
all your dr. needs to do is rule out any physical problems, like tongue tie, apraxia, hearing loss, etc and just wait until your kid is ready to talk. I guarantee you, if he has no physical problems, HE WILL TALK!!!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 12:48 pm
I wouldnt worry too much. My 2 1/2 year old just started talking around her 2nd birthday. Till then, all she said was mama and dada. everything else was AAHHH and EEHHH. Eventually they all catch up.

Rodent

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 5:39 pm
My 12 month old has never babbled and has no words. We do know that he has glue ear though and he should be getting grommets/tubes in August.

Both of our older boys had the same problem. Our first did babble and had some words but at 18 months he got his first ear infection and his speech stopped from then on, the ears never cleared. He has improved since grommets were inserted (6 months ago) but has clarity issues that he is restarting speech therapy for next week. (He also had a tongue tie surgically corrected at almost 2, not sure if that affected the clarity of his speech long term, I suspect his muscles may not have developed properly until it was done though).

Our 2 year old never babbled, he had maybe 4 words when he turned 2. 6 months on from grommets and his speech is pretty good, maybe still a bit delayed but his clarity is good and he is picking up all sorts of stuff.

So I don't really KNOW normal, it's never happened in our house.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:17 pm
munchkin wrote:
if your dr. is making you nervous at less than a year old(!!!) about speech, maybe you should switch drs.
all your dr. needs to do is rule out any physical problems, like tongue tie, apraxia, hearing loss, etc and just wait until your kid is ready to talk. I guarantee you, if he has no physical problems, HE WILL TALK!!!

My doctor has never commented about ds's lack of speech, though he had moderate hearing loss and has apraxia. He's been getting speech therapy for months. At 2 now, he learned to say "Ahh" to mean "on". Doctors can under-react also. I would say to forget about doctors and use common sense about whether your kid needs therapy or not.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics