Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
San Diego anyone?

dochesed

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 10:55 pm
DH and I are thinking of vacationing in San Diego in August. Is kosher food and minyanim a problem? Also, are there fun things to do?

life'sgreat

Post Sat, May 08 2010, 11:40 pm
This is a bit outdated, as we vacationed there about 4 years ago and the scene might have changed. But there is kosher food and a minyan where the chabad is located, but it's a drive from the touristy area. I loved my SD vacation, but we take along food so as not to have to depend on local food. The (one and only) restaurant had a limited and not too tasty menu. My husband drove about 1/2 hour or more every morning to shacharis and then back for mincha.

ganizzy

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:29 am
go to www.chabad.org and look up the chabad center in S. Diego, they should have the info on there for all of the kosher restaurants and the hasshgachas.

there are actually a few chabad houses in s. diego (its quite a large city) and many of them have minyanim. I dont know how far they are from downtown or sea world

lilacdreams

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:40 am
we were there also. We drove to La Jolla for some good restaurants (varying levels of kashrus) and a community. Buying kosher food there in the stores was not a problem, we managed fine.

The oceanarium was nice when we went. We found a nice outside outlet shopping mall where we bought up half of Osh Kosh, plus other good stores. Isn't there aslso lego land and sea world there?

su7kids

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 6:30 am
Yes, we have Legoland and Seaworld and a beautiful, world famous S. Diego Zoo. Depending on where you are staying, nothing is more than about 15 minutes from anywhere here in S. Diego. Disneyland is about a 2 hour drive north, and Los Angeles is about 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive north.

There are no "restaurants" per se. we have The Place which is a grocery store and has a deli / sitdown place for eating, closing around 8 p.m., maybe later in summer, and then there's Ralphs in La Jolla which is a regular supermarket with a kosher section.

If you don't keep Chalav Yisroel or Pas Yisroel, then its easy to find products in the regular stores. HOWEVER, if you come from a place which has tons and tons of kosher stores and products, you must know your hechsherim, because not every product that has a hechsher where you live has one here.

As far as I know there are minyanim at Beth Jacob n the College area which is a Litvishe shul, and then there's Adat Yeshurun in La Jolla. Some of the Chabad Houses have minyanim every day, inclucing Chabad of Downtown, chabad of university city, chabad center in scripps ranch, chabad of poway, chabad at la costa, to name a few.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me (since these threads don't ALWAYS let us know someone posted there!)

lilacdreams

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 6:56 am
yes right I remember the deli that had a sit down part to it. (I dont remeber what it was called). We also drove to LA, it was a fine drive and we had 2 little kids in the back - we all survived! (but I took change of clothing, which was needed after 2 or so hours).

We stayed on a gorgeous Golf Village, cant remember the name. It was so beautiful in SD....I hope you have a wonderful time.

dochesed

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 9:22 am
Thank you so much for your helpful replies. One more question, please. The tours offer a one day trip into Mexico. Is it safe? Is there anything interesting besides shopping which DH hates to do?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 9:45 am
dochesed wrote:
Thank you so much for your helpful replies. One more question, please. The tours offer a one day trip into Mexico. Is it safe? Is there anything interesting besides shopping which DH hates to do?

I went into Mexico by driving towards the border, then taking a bus from there. I made sure to leave all our valuables behind, and strapped my camera around my neck. But honestly, I don't think I'd do it now. I went to Tijuana, which seemed to have had way too many shootings for my liking. Is it safe on a regular daily basis? Probably yes. But I'd still opt out.

I stayed in Paradise Point Resort and it was a dream. I had a private(ish) waterfront room and it was awesome. I got it for a pretty good price through orbitz or one of those.

su7kids

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 11:50 am
dochesed wrote:

Its an experience, and it IS mainly shopping and probably eating, which, if you keep kosher, you won't do. I'd say Skip it.

kiddo

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:31 pm
It's a beautiful place... loved every minute of it, There is food their, the place has a full line of kosher food, and a smallish deli, ( I didn't really eat there cuz I'm very picky with fleishig) but the dairy place is right across the street, the food their was really good. just pizza and that type but you could live on it for a few days....
We stayed on the Coranado Island, just off of san diego, it was really nice... full of sailboats. lots of water from all around.. very scenic... the san diego downtown waterfront etc. if you need more help please feel free to pm me..
Happy vacationing..

su7kids

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:33 pm
The Dairy place is closed.

Mommyholic

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 3:34 pm
Great place to go on vacation!! Stunning and really relaxing! Minyanim are accessible but food is situation is okay. Only one open shwarma restaurant-good food in San Diego downtown area but within twenty min. there are others avail. Aside for SeaWorld which is very nice, but as my husband said, an over-rated aquarium, you can also do whale and dolphin watching tours if that interests you- it was a stunning boat ride on the Pacific. You MUST go to Coranado Island and stay there if possible-use Priceline as there are only 4 or 5 5 star resorts on the island so for a great price you can get a gorgeous hotel and the view there and walking is magnificent. Also, there are things like quadracycling that you can do on the island.

Enjoy! Highly recommended!

chavamom

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 3:42 pm
Isn't there a kiruv kollel there also? One of the girls from camp married a guy who is in the kollel there.

su7kids

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 3:43 pm
chavamom wrote:
Isn't there a kiruv kollel there also? One of the girls from camp married a guy who is in the kollel there.

Not right now. There has been, a few times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics