Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Newborn hip instability

lech lecha08

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:14 pm
Does anyone have experience with hip instability in newborns? We only found out my daughter was "diagnosed" when we were discharged from the hospital and it was written on her papers. Nobody said anything to us.
I'm going to the pediatrician in a few days but wanted to hear from others abut this.

cubbie

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:28 pm
is that the same as hip dysplasia (check spelling) If so my dd has it. I won't go into details now incase we're talking about something different, but if it's the same it's not a big deal.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:31 pm
double post

Last edited by lech lecha08 on Sun, May 09 2010, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

lech lecha08

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:32 pm
cubbie wrote:
is that the same as hip dysplasia (check spelling) If so my dd has it. I won't go into details now incase we're talking about something different, but if it's the same it's not a big deal.

I think so. The d/c papers say "hip instability" but all my Google results talk about dysplasia.

cubbie

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 1:50 pm
Go to your dr and get an hafnaya to see Professor Porat (I think he's works with all the kupot) if you're macabbi he's in agripas once a week - he'll do an ultrasound. If he thinks there's a problem he'll x-ray. Shirel has been in a harness for 3 months and has one month left, it's not a big deal, obviously movement (rolling, crawling, sitting) is put on hold, at the beginning she could only take off the harness for 1/2 hour a day, now that it's almost in place, she gets 4 hours a day and is starting to try to roll (she's now 6 months) and from what I understand she'll catch up very quickly and it's very unlikely she'll need physio. Clothes are a challenge, she has so many things from her sisters and she can only wear a very small number of them. Any questions feel free to ask me.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:34 pm
Thanks. I read about the harness treatment but someone else I was speaking to mentioned she had heard things as extreme as breaking and resetting the joint shock to just double diapering the baby.
Your baby started with the harness at 2 months?

cubbie

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:50 pm
At 3 1/2 months - sadly we could have started at 2 months and be over with it by now, but having been told by the tipat chalav drs that we needed to get our older 2 the ultrasound and then told by our ped that it wasn't necessary, we didn't take the tipat chalav dr seriously this time so we didn't exactly run to our ped to get his opinion on it - when we did go she was already 3 months, then another week till we saw prof. Porat, and another week till we saw him again with the harness.

Zus

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 4:12 am
DD also had it. The earlier you start treatment, the less time they need treatment for.
DD was also in a harness for a number of months, and has not suffered from a delay in her development.

I've only heard about the breaking issue if it stays untreated for longer than a year or so.

smilethere

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 6:41 am
My husband was in a harness for a couple of months. Now he's fine. They check my kids straight after birth though, and again with a scan a few weeks later.

It was quite cute, I was at my MIL recently and she showed me my husbands harness. Adorable tiny thing, for this giant guy. She said she saved it special for me. How cute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics