Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Whats happening with my baby:(?
1  2  Next

willow

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 4:07 pm
As of last week my sweet baby has been losing weight. I am not sure of whats going on. She exclusively breastfeeds and now when she nurses she has been acting very different. As she eats she keeps taking her self off and crying/whining for a few seconds. Then she quickly latches on again? Very confusing. Confused When I went to the doctor last week he said I should wait a week and see if she is still losing weight. ( But she wasnt doing the crying bit although she was taking her self off much more to play) Well I am very confused Because tonight my baby who refuses bottles ( we have tried) Kept getting upset with the breat shock and took a bottle of formula?

Its too late to call the doctor tonight but I will for sure call tomorrow.
Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Crying

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 4:11 pm
willow wrote:
As of last week my sweet baby has been losing weight. I am not sure of whats going on. She exclusively breastfeeds and now when she nurses she has been acting very different. As she eats she keeps taking her self off and crying/whining for a few seconds. Then she quickly latches on again? Very confusing. Confused When I went to the doctor last week he said I should wait a week and see if she is still losing weight. ( But she wasnt doing the crying bit although she was taking her self off much more to play) Well I am very confused Because tonight my baby who refuses bottles ( we have tried) Kept getting upset with the breat shock and took a bottle of formula?

Its too late to call the doctor tonight but I will for sure call tomorrow.
Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Crying

Maybe your letdown isn't as fast as usual? Do you pump at all? Can you experiment and see if it's taking a while to get your milk going?
It also could be you're dehydrated because of the weather. Drink plenty of water.
I think there comes an age they like to come off to play when they are more aware of the world, and she could be at this point, but the losing weight thing has me worried. Maybe nurse from both sides instead of just one? If my son starts coming off more than three times in a row, I switch sides and that many times helps.
Also try compression. Squeezing milk into the baby's mouth might get your milk to start flowing better and forces the milk in there so she'll stay on and drink.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 4:16 pm
how old is your baby? maybe teething? very active and ready for solids?
good luck

MOM222

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 4:50 pm
Sounds like she is noticing a change in your milk and doesn't like it. Could it be that you are preg. and the milk tastes different?

willow

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 4:59 pm
Ok so I tried H_Y advice and drank a ton of water and I put her back on. She sucked a little more vigourously. Hard to tell b/c she fell asleep.
I have been really stressed lately and I guess that could effect my letdown?

soonamommy

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 5:31 pm
willow wrote:

I have been really stressed lately and I guess that could effect my letdown?

Happened to me. My baby senses the slightest mood changes and won't nurse as well when I'm tense. Teething is also a factor after a certain age.

micki

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 8:51 pm
check her ears- it may be an ear infection. the pain may not allow her to nurse. also do you have your period? there is a change in milk when preg or getting period.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 10:19 pm
maybe she has allergies

timeout

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 11:22 pm
Just a thought did your Dr. check for Thrush it's very irritating to a baby, and you don't always feel it yourself.

Also if you are stressed the baby can feel it but it shouldn't affect your baby so much to lose weight.

Good Luck

queen

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 12:01 am
Something is the matter..... however could be so many diff. things, which doesn't make it any easier for you!

Firstly, she's coming off bec. something is bothering baby. Either you don't have enough, or the taste is different. I'd say- not enough milk which explains why she's losing weight. She must have been REALLY hungry if a bbay that had refused the bottle in the past now took it tonight.

Not drinking enough could do it, especially as the weather recently has gotten hot/humid.

Keep us updated!

willow

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 3:35 am
I re-read what I wrote and realized I wrote she is losing weight when I meant to say her weight has barely gone up in two weeks. I am sorry for the misinformation. I was really tired last night.
So through the night she nursed o.k. Not great but decently. I am waiting for the doctor to call me back.
THank you for all your advice/tips I have a feeling its two factors 1- not enough milk let down ( not sure why) 2- I need to drink way more then what I am drinking.

willow

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 3:37 am
queen wrote:
She must have been REALLY hungry if a bbay that had refused the bottle in the past now took it tonight.
!

I know Crying

bonzie

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 5:33 am
willow im really sorry you're going through this! Its so hard when a baby is sick and can't verbalize what the matter is. I thought of a way you could test if its your milk (which I personally don't think is the problem) why don't you pump and give her breastmilk in a bottle, see if she'll take that, its a lot easier to suck a bottle than to nurse, so maybe she wants that because like s/o else said, her ears hurt, or possible teething? also you might want to give tylenol and abt a half hr later let her nurse, see if she'll nurse then, and if she does you can prob assume its pain related, good luck!

queen

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 8:41 am
bonzie- if I can disagree in a friendly way Very Happy the baby IS hungry as we saw from her taking the bottle. This baby obviously doesn't like the bottle and would prefer the breast- yet for some reason that's not working great for baby right now.... or else she would be nursing properly/not have taken the bottle.

I'm talking from experience having gone through similar episode before Purim of this year.

Another thought willow is maybe you're pregnant Question Loss of period during nursing could hide that fact from some.... Just a Idea

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 8:58 am
or maybe you are about get a period? my babies didn't like my milk when I was pg and before my period.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 10:30 am
willow wrote:
I re-read what I wrote and realized I wrote she is losing weight when I meant to say her weight has barely gone up in two weeks. I am sorry for the misinformation. I was really tired last night.
So through the night she nursed o.k. Not great but decently. I am waiting for the doctor to call me back.
THank you for all your advice/tips I have a feeling its two factors 1- not enough milk let down ( not sure why) 2- I need to drink way more then what I am drinking.

Oh, that makes a little more sense. But, just a note. Breast fed babies stop gaining as much as they did sometime after 4 months. Their weight gain should still exist, but it's very possibly less than what it used to be. Ok, don't worry too much about that right now.

We do know she's hungry and needs to eat. She doesn't have a stuffed nose or anything? It's hard to nurse when the baby finds it hard to breathe, and a baby saline solution might do the trick. If not, stress can cause letdowns to not be as effective. Take a deep breath in and out when she's nursing -- that always helps me, and the letdown usually follows almost immediately.

When she isn't nursing as much, do you feel like you're fuller than usual? (A week later your supply might have dropped as it could get used to her not nursing as much, but at the beginning did you feel a difference?) If so, it's probably not an inadequate supply, but probably harder for her to remove the milk from you because of ineffective nursing. In which case, our suggestions would probably help, but not the ones to increase the milk supply (though that might still be needed to get your body back to what it used to make a week ago).

If you are able to pump, try pumping and since you don't seem like you're a regular pumper, I wouldn't worry too much if you don't pump as much as you think you should (unless you do pump quite often) since it takes time for the body to get used to effective pumping, but see if your daughter likes the milk from the bottle. If she refuses that but does accept formula, then it's a taste issue. But I think this is very UNlikely the case, so don't bother unless you can't find another source of the problem. But if she does take the bottle, and you can pump, it's defnitely better to give her pumped milk than formula.

Good luck!

willow

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 11:05 am
Hi thank you for all the replies. Here is the update. The doctor said not to worry till sunday as she has regular dipers and isn't acting different then usual(aside from the eating). I have been drinking much more and the last few feedings have been better. I have tried pumping with advent hand pump but I get so so so little. Any ways thank you again and I will report back later Very Happy
Have a wonderful shabbos.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 11:21 am
willow wrote:
Hi thank you for all the replies. Here is the update. The doctor said not to worry till sunday as she has regular dipers and isn't acting different then usual(aside from the eating). I have been drinking much more and the last few feedings have been better. I have tried pumping with advent hand pump but I get so so so little. Any ways thank you again and I will report back later Very Happy
Have a wonderful shabbos.

Good Smile
That means *she* is not dehydrated, and I think it might be something that will pass over soon. Maybe you just needed to boost your system with extra hydration.
Don't worry about not getting so much when pumping -- it's hard to get your body used to it. As long as her feedings are getting better and she is having plenty of diaper changes (why didn't I think of asking that? pretty funny since it's the one thing I always keep track of when I tihnk my son might not be getting enough fluid) I would not worry about not gaining as much weight.

Have a calm, relaxed, wonderful shabbos yourself Smile

bonzie

Post Sat, Jul 01 2006, 3:44 pm
queen wrote:
bonzie- if I can disagree in a friendly way Very Happy the baby IS hungry as we saw from her taking the bottle. This baby obviously doesn't like the bottle and would prefer the breast- yet for some reason that's not working great for baby right now.... or else she would be nursing properly/not have taken the bottle.

I'm talking from experience having gone through similar episode before Purim of this year.

Another thought willow is maybe you're pregnant Question Loss of period during nursing could hide that fact from some.... Just a Idea

I never said she wasn't hungry, just my dd used to sometimes prefer the bottle, and it turned out her ears were the problem and it didn't hurt as much to use the bottle even tho she really wanted the breast.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 11:33 am
1. Certain instances, like a stuffed nose can make bottlefeeding easier for the baby than nursing...

2. If you nurse all day, you might not pump so much since your baby has drunk most of what you produced. So don't feel bad if you don't get that much!

3.Whatever you pump, even a little bit, SAVE. Someone told me she only pumped like an ounce so she threw it out. I got so upset. She spent so much energy getting that, and you can mix different batches together! I always freeze my milk in 1.5 -2 ounce increments!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics