Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Question for those who don't vaccinate
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:47 pm
I really don't mean to be judgmental, but I have a question for those who choose not to vaccinate their children at all. Just for the record, I personally believe in staggering vaccinations and not giving 4 or 5 in one visit. This requires more trips to the doctor for me, but in the end, my kids still receive all their vaccinations.

There was recently a breakout of Hep A in my older daughter's school. I didn't remember if she had received that vaccine or not, but I looked back on her chart and saw that she got it when she was 2, so I assume it was recommended as a standard vaccine for 2 year olds.

I have 2 children in my family under 2 that have not yet received the Hep A vaccine. I am now very concerned that they could get the virus and possibly get very sick!!!

When people don't vaccinate aren't they concerned with other people's small children who are not old enough to receive certain vaccines will catch these harmful diseases???? My husband didn't want to send my older daughter to school today because of this.

MrsMom

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:50 pm
I don't get it either. In order for vaccinations to work, there needs to be a group effort to wipe out diseases. I really really don't get what people are thinking. Vaccinations are not hurting anyone.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:54 pm
I have the same question as you.
All fine and dandy when people want "the very best" for their kids, and researched vaccines and decided it's not for them blah blah.., but please think about others.
Thanks to you my baby was exposed to the measles at age 2 weeks and my baby was exposed to the mumps.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:55 pm
Have you read up on this at all?
Do you know that Hep A symptoms appear 15 or more days later, and in the meantime, transmission was still possible? Keeping her home from school won't really do much at this point.

Good hygiene is key...don't share eating utensils, wash hands after changing diapers and using the restroom, etc. and you minimize the risk enormously.

Have you read up on the symptoms? They're usually very mild, especially in young children.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:55 pm
MrsMom wrote:
Vaccinations are not hurting anyone.
That's pretty ignorant.

Inspired

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:56 pm
MrsMom wrote:

That is false. please do your research.

As for OP, each parent needs to do their own research and make their own decision. I can't say why they made the decisions they did.
I know for the children that I delayed vaxing I had my reasons and considerations where my own child and my own family's wellbeing outweighed the well being of the children of others. I expect the same of everyone else. Do what is right for your family, first.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 12:58 pm
I'm not 100% certain of this -- I need to research -- but I do think that one can transmit Hep A, without contracting the disease. I don't think people necessarily get sick just because of people unvaccinated.
The best way to prevent spread of this is to not allow the germs to invade the body to begin with.

OP, I hope your family stays healthy.

Inspired

Cookies n Cream wrote:
All fine and dandy when people want "the very best" for their kids, and researched vaccines and decided it's not for them blah blah.., but please think about others.
Thanks to you my baby was exposed to the measles at age 2 weeks and my baby was exposed to the mumps.

So you're saying I should endanger my children or other family members on the chance that doing so might save your child from danger, possibly?
Seriously?
Do you do that?
No, I won't be doing it.

amother

Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Do you know that Hep A symptoms appear 15 or more days later, and in the meantime, transmission was still possible? Keeping her home from school won't really do much at this point.

Good hygiene is key...don't share eating utensils, wash hands after changing diapers and using the restroom, etc. and you minimize the risk enormously.

Have you read up on the symptoms? They're usually very mild, especially in young children.

OP here, yes, I told my husband that, so we still sent DD to school...but he wasn't very happy about it.

Sometimes I think that because there is no recent memory of serious diseases like polio and measles, people don't realize what a big deal they are.

mominlkwd

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:00 pm
I took my 3 year old to the dr. today and he told me that they are giving an extra booster mmr shot now with the outbreak. I was a bit annoyed that my son who always vaccinates on time needed to get another shot because other people didn't vaccinate their kids.

I have a friend who has a son with issues - not mental and nothing major but a few physical things that make him miss school alot and one of the dr's she went to told her it might be one of the vaccines he got OR it might be something from when she was pregnant - so now she hasn't vaccinated her kids in over a year. Do I feel for her? absolutely but her kid recently got chicken pox and in some ways it was her own fault and we had eaten by her recently and I was pregnant and I was a nervous wreck for 1 1/2 weeks until I knew nobody had caught it from her. We haven't been back there for a meal since because I'm scared I'll find out a few day later that her kids have something else.

Inspired

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:05 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
I took my 3 year old to the dr. today and he told me that they are giving an extra booster mmr shot now with the outbreak. I was a bit annoyed that my son who always vaccinates on time needed to get another shot because other people didn't vaccinate their kids.

I think you should do some research on the mumps outbreak.

MrsMom

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:09 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
MrsMom wrote:
That's pretty ignorant.

enlighten me then.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:12 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:

The mupms outbreak included plenty of previously vaccinated kids.

If you don't want your kids exposed to any germs, keep them in hermetically sealed rooms in your own home.

And FTR, I vaccinate.

Inspired

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:12 pm
mominlkwd wrote:

I have a friend who has a son with issues - not mental and nothing major but a few physical things that make him miss school alot and one of the dr's she went to told her it might be one of the vaccines he got OR it might be something from when she was pregnant - so now she hasn't vaccinated her kids in over a year. Do I feel for her? absolutely but her kid recently got chicken pox and in some ways it was her own fault and we had eaten by her recently and I was pregnant and I was a nervous wreck for 1 1/2 weeks until I knew nobody had caught it from her. We haven't been back there for a meal since because I'm scared I'll find out a few day later that her kids have something else.

If you think you can't catch things, really dangerous things, from vaccinated children you are sorely mistaken.
Do you similarly check up on the vaccine history of adults? Because anyone without immunity can catch a disease and pass it along.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

OP here, yes, I told my husband that, so we still sent DD to school...but he wasn't very happy about it.

Sometimes I think that because there is no recent memory of serious diseases like polio and measles, people don't realize what a big deal they are.
What's interesting is that you think polio==measles == hep A, and who knows what else.
The severity of each illness is different, as is the severity of each vaccine.
(As is the circumstances involved in deciding if a child should be vaccinated or not -- different children react differently, different families can't risk certain things due to other health issues, etc.)

Inspired

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:14 pm
MrsMom wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
MrsMom wrote:
That's pretty ignorant.

enlighten me then.

Second hit on the google search "vaccine damage".
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Di.....26664

lmk if you need more

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:19 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Cookies n Cream wrote:

The mupms outbreak included plenty of previously vaccinated kids.

If you don't want your kids exposed to any germs, keep them in hermetically sealed rooms in your own home.

And FTR, I vaccinate.

Correct, we were exposed to the mumps from people that WERE VACCINATED.
Basically meaning, that the fact that I vaccinate doesn't really help if many other people around me DON'T VACCINATE.

MrsMom

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:19 pm
If there is a specific reason that someone knows the vaccine will do more harm than good it is one thing.

What about people who just won't do it? I really do not understand.

The vaccine side effects are minor compared to the diseases children used to suffer/die from. it is very unlikely that people are going to become extremely disabled from vaccinations.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:20 pm
Inspired wrote:
mominlkwd wrote:

If you think you can't catch things, really dangerous things, from vaccinated children you are sorely mistaken.
Do you similarly check up on the vaccine history of adults? Because anyone without immunity can catch a disease and pass it along.

In addition, immunity for a mother's baby to chicken pox is given because she contracted the disease and formed proper antibodies. If she only has immunity via vaccination, her baby is more at risk...

I'd also like to point out that there are several cases of chicken pox being spread because of a child who was recently vaccinated with the live virus. I hope you ask the parents before you eat out if their children were recently injected with live virus vaccines.

And FTR, I davka did not want my children to get the MMR vaccine while I was pregnant because of this live virus issue. Whether I'm right or not in terms of the ability to pass it on from this specific vaccine (I know the varicella definitely can; I don't remember about the MMR), it just makes me more comfortable knowing that I'm lessening the chance of my fetus being exposed to things which are more serious at that stage than these diseases if my children CH"V contracted them. No, these diseases do not scare me, because I did my research. Nothing can protect my children 100%. I have to do the best I can at any given moment.

(BTW, I took my daughter for her 2 month checkup yesterday, and my pro-vaccine doctor agreed 100% with the decision I made for now. Things are not black and white.)

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, May 13 2010, 1:20 pm
MrsMom wrote:
If there is a specific reason that someone knows the vaccine will do more harm than good it is one thing.

What about people who just won't do it? I really do not understand.

The vaccine side effects are minor compared to the diseases children used to suffer/die from. it is very unlikely that people are going to become extremely disabled from vaccinations.

I don't think ppl just "don't do it".
Soemtimes, they are not considerate of others though.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics