Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sukkah porch year round

amother

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 2:24 pm
We are thinking we would like one. It is getting harder for dh to put one up each year, most of my children are married and out of the house, so not much help. Any ideas of which materials are best to use? Different types? Which contractor does them in Brooklyn?

Grandmama

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 4:53 pm
From my personal experience, they cost a fortune to build ($10,000 and up) are made of plastic junk, and even with all their so called guarantees, they leak every year. So if you are willing to put up with a few puddles, you do save yourself all that time it takes to build the suka. You do have to put up the shach yearly and storage it in a dry place so that it doesnt get moldy. There are not too many companies doing it. I can PM you the name of the one we used, way down on McDonald Avenue. Begins with the letter F. I seriously do not recommend him to anyone. He took forever to install, wanted most of the money up front, and always takes on more work than he can handle. There are not too many others that do it and know how to make that part that lifts up. There is one more company that does green houses, but they cost upwards of $25,000 and we were not willing to spend that amount of money.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 06 2010, 6:16 pm
My relatives had a fiberglass Sukkah ordered to fit their porch, they keep it up all year, year after year, and are very happy with it. They put up a Schach mat each year, and the grandchildren tape some decorations on to the walls before each Sukkos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics