Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Ideas for a meal for friend who gave birth???
1  2  Next

Mishie

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 2:34 am
Does anyone have an idea what I can make for my friend who just had a baby?

Whenever s/o in our neighborhood has a baby, is not feeling well, just moved to a new house etc...
Then we all get together and arrange meals for the family for about 2 weeks. Every night is s/o else's turn to make the family a dinner.

I need some ideas from you for a great meal to send over....
Anything but Meatballs (which seems to be what EVERYONE sends.... LOL)

Thanks!!!

JEWISHMAMA

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 3:21 am
the best meal I had after birth was chicken and rice. Just roast chicken pieces and boiled rice. They bought it over in a aluminium tray so I had no pots or pans or plastic containers to worry about.

bonzie

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 3:56 am
my favorite dinner was sesame chicken

shnitzel- matza meal, egg, matza meal, lightly fry

sauce - boil- 3/4c brown sug, 1/2c ketchup, 1/2 c water, sprinkle garlic pwdr, 2 tbsp soy sauce,

add in shnitzel let simmer for five min

this was served with rice, and cut up vegetables with some sort of marinade, really yummy, also served in aluminum so no cleaning up

also one of the people that sent me dinners put some homemade cookies in a bag and tied it with a pretty ribbon, it was a small thing but I thought it was really sweet

willow

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 8:24 am
Just make sure the portions are big enough Wink My dh and I are not big ppl but sometimes the portions were so skimpy that we ended up making dinner.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 8:51 am
Our Chabad community had to really organize the Shifra and Puah. Until it was organized, the same few people were asked over and over and some people did not get meals because it was assumed that nearby relatives were cooking. A letter was sent out asking for donations to buy meat, chicken, and fish and someone stocked a freezer with these foods and also bought foil pans. This was, families who really cannot afford to feed another family could still participate.
I also think it is important that if a new mother or sick person has help or can manage, that they tell people not to cook for them. It should be for those who really need the help. People today are struggling both with time and money and often feed their own children the cheapest foods. It is OK if once in a while children see the best foods being given away while they have a cheap meal, this should not be a frequent occurence.
Personally, I like to make beef-noodle casserole for a family.

mumsy23

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 8:55 am
I make roast chicken with potatos. VERY easy and YUM!

peel and cut potatos into cubes(about 2/person) and layer at the bottom of a big roasting pan. Sprinkle with any spices (paprika, garlic, onion, salt, pepper). Then take a whole chicken and spice both sides and stick it belly up in the pan. Add water to 3/4 cover potatos and bake at 400 for 1 hour. Turn chicken and bake another hour.

I have never met someone who didn't love this chicken - and the potatos are soooooo good too!

I usually also make a salad to go with the meal and then it is perfect! Very Happy

bonzie

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 9:19 am
yum mumsy that sounds good and plentiful

mommy24

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 10:23 am
I usually try to make something real easy and something the other kids will enjoy too- baked ziti, salad, garlic bread, and for dessert cut up fruit and cookies-

Flowerchild

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 10:34 am
tuna cassarole is good too. you take mushrooms, peas, tuna, cooked pasta, maybe egg noodles or elbows, bread crumbs, butter or margarine, (you can use cream of mushroom soup, or vegie broth) I personaly dont use cream of mushroom soup, I put all the ingridients together in a baking dish =, mix them up, add bread crumbs and dabs of margarine/butter all over and bake untill its crispy on top.

you can also make lasagne, if your up for it, it makes a good dinner. I make mine with cheese and spinach.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 10:46 am
deleted

Last edited by MommyLuv on Wed, Jul 05 2006, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 10:47 am
Ask your friend what she would like or give her a couple of choices that you make well. Sometimes people make the same type of dish. After giving birth we had chicken for three weeks! Also include some cookies or brownies for dessert. Whenever I make a meal for someone, I give extra portions so that she will have enough for lunch the next day.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Whenever I make a meal for someone, I give extra portions so that she will have enough for lunch the next day.

very much appreciated.
what about salmon in the oven I like to coat it with mayo mixed with a little lemon juice and covered with bread crumbs great with mashed potato... Jello mixed with crushed pineapple makes a quick cool dessert.

Mishie

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 4:07 am
OK Ladies...
Here's what I ended up making:

* Turkey ShishKabobs (with Cherry Tomatoes, Green-Red-Yellow Peppers and White Onions) , (I had the meat marinating for hours)

* Crispy Roasted Potatoes

* Salad (Lettuce, Sliced Carrots, Peppers, Sprouts and Corn)

* Fresh Pittas (store bought)

* Heavenly Chewy Peanut Butter Brownies with PB and Chocolate Frosting

It all looked so Beautiful and Colorful!!!

I hoped they enjoyed it as much as we did!!!

8)

willow

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 4:47 am
YUM that sounds soooooo good. Can you make me dinner next time I have a baby Very Happy

supermom

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 4:59 am
Mishie wrote:
OK Ladies...

* Heavenly Chewy Peanut Butter Brownies with PB and Chocolate Frosting

Can you post the recipe? Or is it the same as the thread in the recipes peanut butter brownies?

Just a side point I usually make milk so this way after all the meat that is sent they have a change.

Homemade veg. pizza /or Spagetti with an eggplant sauce
Salad with cheese
Onion and Garlic bread
Minostrome soup
For dessert homemade ice cream.

I usually make a ton and send it over so this way as a poster says they have left overs for lunch or if they end up not getting a meal for the next day they have leftover for a light meal until they make themselves dinner.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 8:01 am
My mother and another lady organise meals for a week each after s/one in our community has a baby. Once when we got meals I remember that we got meatballs for almost 2 weeks straight!
I think now they alternate, one night meaty, one night milky or parve.
I make tuna bake and roast potatoes. The tuna bake has whipped egg whites in it so it's really nice and fluffy.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 1:46 pm
My neighbor had a baby & I'm making supper tomorrow night. Due to allergies (milk, citrus, eggs, sesame seeds) & they had fleishigs a couple of times this week, I'm making : grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, veg or salad.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 2:54 pm
how about macaroni and cheese?

I am from a large family and my mother told me that the few times people did bring over food, it was NEVER enough food. But, once someone made loads and loads of macaroni and cheese.....that was the biggest help!!! plus, most people like that...you can even leave some noodles plain for the finicky eaters and send along some ketchup in case they ran out.

Mishie

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 3:05 pm
It's funny you mentioned Macaroni....

Whenever I have a baby, the ladies who organize the meals call to ask what we like / don't like etc...

So, I always say: "No pasta - Please".

The reason is: It sometimes gets out of hand, you end up getting TONZ of pasta dishes, every day! another pasta dish. Pasta with this, Pasta with that...

and another reason is, we usually have pasta for lunch....

It's a shame, cuz then it just gets wasted! and it's a Chaval on all their hard work.
I appreciate their kindness so much!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of spoiled brat...

so by the end of the 2 weeks, my fam. would go absolutely nuts............

No offense to the above poster - I actually LOVE macaronie and Cheese!!!

willow

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:49 am
I agree with no macaroni and cheese (sorry Wink ) The reason is it is so easy to make that usually the family makes it for lunch. Plus I don't think it is so healthy and I don't believe in sending a family a dinner that is so empty of nutrition especially after giving birth when she needs to eat wholesome meals to give her energy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen